Middle class and drugs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was an article I read a little while ago that was highlighting how in some certain US cities Cocaine had been mixed with some other drug (fentanyl I think it was) that made it hugely addictive and highly lethal straight away. The ramifications were immense, along with the number of deaths as a result of "casual/social" cocaine users.
As sure as eggs are eggs, you know this is going to spread and very soon we will be dealing with this problem.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was an article I read a little while ago that was highlighting how in some certain US cities Cocaine had been mixed with some other drug (fentanyl I think it was) that made it hugely addictive and highly lethal straight away. The ramifications were immense, along with the number of deaths as a result of "casual/social" cocaine users.
As sure as eggs are eggs, you know this is going to spread and very soon we will be dealing with this problem.

It's horrendous. Watched a few programmes on it and it wipes out so many people, it's an opiod, that is a prescribed medicine for pain relief and is upto 50-100 times stronger than morphine. The problem in America is that it's mixed with heroin or coke and it's killing so many people, normal people that started to take it legally and prescribed amd can't get off it because it's so addictive. It is coming into the UK too apparently. It's like spice but so much worse.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How is it that any different to alcohol or many over-counter, off-shelf and prescription drugs that are already legal. And how many people ignore the words "Do not drive or operate machinery"?

If I was given the choice of sharing roads with alcoholics or stoners, I'd choose the stoners every time, they're much safer drivers. And irrespective of that, if it was purely a concern about reducing danger on roads, I'd make mobile phones illegal before worrying about the morning-after drugs issue.

All drugs have side effects. The issue society continually fails to deal with (and is shown in this very thread) is that drug policy is inconsistent and not based on modern evidence, but I'm just repeating myself now.

There is no difference and without a doubt there are many that do so now. Make it legal and it will just add to the numbers in all probability. There are many that do not do it because it is illegal make it legal and they may change.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comparing alcohol with cannabis

One argument I heard many years ago was that if alcohol was only 'discovered ' in recent years it would have been made illegal very quickly. Bit like LSD once legal quickly became illegal to use.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cocaine had been mixed with some other drug (fentanyl I think it was) that made it hugely addictive and highly lethal straight away. The ramifications were immense, along with the number of deaths as a result of "casual/social" cocaine users.

Sort of, but it's not actually to do with Cocaine. Fentanyl is a controlled (legal) painkiller in the USA and is a potent, horribly addictive and extremely dangerous one. It can kill anyone not already acclimatised with opioids like morphine. Fentanyl has killed a lot of people all on its own, notably it's what killed Prince.

It's sometimes mixed with low grade heroin and cocaine and without users knowledge they overdose on fentanyl.

It's a good example of why controlling and legalising cocaine and/or heroine might be a better idea.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Comparing alcohol with cannabis

One argument I heard many years ago was that if alcohol was only 'discovered ' in recent years it would have been made illegal very quickly. Bit like LSD once legal quickly became illegal to use.
Thats because LSD was a psychiatric drug and they found the side effects of LSD were psychedelic, then it was banned.

i think the guy that first synthesised it took it his whole life with no side effects