Middle class and drugs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It must be an expensive hobby to have.
I have not met anyone who openly admits to taking drugs .
But then I have always picked my friends carefully.
It’s funny that C Dick is saying this as they normally wait until they retire before they rock the boat.
Who do you belive Cheif of Police or Prime Minister tough one but I would not belive a politician about anything.

Robin Hood

Visit site
It must be an expensive hobby to have.
I have not met anyone who openly admits to taking drugs .
But then I have always picked my friends carefully.
It’s funny that C Dick is saying this as they normally wait until they retire before they rock the boat.
Who do you belive Cheif of Police or Prime Minister tough one but I would not belive a politician about anything.
I believe the Police every time

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Out of interest - who would legalise cannabis ?
I've no problem with it being legal to carry for your own use, and for legit shops to sell it. Anymore than that i would go against.
Many people start there and get a taste/aggressive dealers push harder substances at them and it's a downward spiral.

Make it easy to get and maybe the hardcore abuse lessens.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw Ms Dick on the news tonight but she was talking about knife crime and police levels. I am not convinced that more police would lessen knife crime as you would never have Police at the crime scene, they also seem good at catching the culprits. The only way I can see a difference would be more targeted stop and search and much stronger sentencing. I cant imagine the size of the task to change the social reasons that have exasperated the levels of knife crime we are seeing now. I think the horse has bolted there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is definitely a battleground going on and more and more people see a knife as a badge of honour or a necessary weapon either to inflict harm or for self defence, neither of which is good. How do we tackle it. More police obviously but it needs to go deeper. Not sure I'd like to see the old SUSS law come back but the police need to feel confident in their ability to stop and search anyone without fear of discrimination, stereotyping and any other tag that gets hung on them. On the flip side, they have to be far more transparent in their paperwork and dealings. Get that balance right, get more people worried about the possibility of being stopped while carrying and then get the legislation sorted and the courts to have the balls to hand out deterrent sentences and maybe we're on the road to tackling the issue

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There is definitely a battleground going on and more and more people see a knife as a badge of honour or a necessary weapon either to inflict harm or for self defence, neither of which is good. How do we tackle it. More police obviously but it needs to go deeper. Not sure I'd like to see the old SUSS law come back but the police need to feel confident in their ability to stop and search anyone without fear of discrimination, stereotyping and any other tag that gets hung on them. On the flip side, they have to be far more transparent in their paperwork and dealings. Get that balance right, get more people worried about the possibility of being stopped while carrying and then get the legislation sorted and the courts to have the balls to hand out deterrent sentences and maybe we're on the road to tackling the issue
If a minority of the general population are of a specific race that are in the majority that carry knives and use them, why is there such an outcry when that " specific race " are targetted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If a minority of the general population are of a specific race that are in the majority that carry knives and use them, why is there such an outcry when that " specific race " are targetted.
I'm going back to the bad old days of SUSS in the 80's where it was predominantly people of West Indian origin that were targeted, perhaps not always legitimately by the police. Roll this on to todays society and I would suggest it still targeted at the Asian and black communities and "known" white offenders. I simply think while these may or may not be the majority carrying blades, and I am being very generic giving the police greater stop and search powers will lead to great outcrys of racism and an increase in racial tension. Yet if you don't give police powers how do you begin to tackle it?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm going back to the bad old days of SUSS in the 80's where it was predominantly people of West Indian origin that were targeted, perhaps not always legitimately by the police. Roll this on to todays society and I would suggest it still targeted at the Asian and black communities and "known" white offenders. I simply think while these may or may not be the majority carrying blades, and I am being very generic giving the police greater stop and search powers will lead to great outcrys of racism and an increase in racial tension. Yet if you don't give police powers how do you begin to tackle it?
You put it so much better than i could if by saying what i was thinking. In this day and age. Stop and search should be done without question. However i have seen the recent attitude of some Met coppers. Quiet frankly it stinks. A few bad apples are tarring a full force. In the same way a few ethnic minority’s are tarring the whole minoritys.

D

Deleted member 15344

Our town police closed over the last couple of years - crime is a massive increase in the area - shops , vans , houses constantly being broken into because people know the police presence now is minimal - the local co op got raided again - the police that came were from Essex !!

It’s a disgrace that cut backs have left a commuter town that is increasing in size on a monthly basis with minimal police presence. They wanted another PSCO but were told the council had to pay the wages !!

The town is going to get worse with thousands more houses being built

And with the added bonus of further traveller camps being added a couple miles away ( the travellers are the main culprits of the crime )

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our town police closed over the last couple of years - crime is a massive increase in the area - shops , vans , houses constantly being broken into because people know the police presence now is minimal - the local co op got raided again - the police that came were from Essex !!

It’s a disgrace that cut backs have left a commuter town that is increasing in size on a monthly basis with minimal police presence. They wanted another PSCO but were told the council had to pay the wages !!

The town is going to get worse with thousands more houses being built

And with the added bonus of further traveller camps being added a couple miles away ( the travellers are the main culprits of the crime )
Police probably scared to target the travellers due to being labelled racist by the progressives.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
You put it so much better than i could if by saying what i was thinking. In this day and age. Stop and search should be done without question. However i have seen the recent attitude of some Met coppers. Quiet frankly it stinks. A few bad apples are tarring a full force. In the same way a few ethnic minority’s are tarring the whole minoritys.

Not sure if you meant it this way but there should always be some reason why someone is being stopped. The police should not be afraid to stop someone if they are black/Asian but also they need more of a reason to stop them than just because they are black/Asian. As you say, I suspect the vast majority of police are aware of this and would use this power to the best of their abilities, but a few have exploited this power based on some questionable personal attitudes in the past.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you had asked me that a while ago I would have said yes, I don't use myself but I see the benefits of decriminalising it. The introduction of the stronger spice cannabis has made me question that. I would need to hear what the experts say on this, from various agencies. I doubt it will happen in the near future as no politician wants to be the one who looks 'soft' on drugs, irrespective of the advice they are given. It has been largely a political decision to keep it criminal imo.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Who wouldn't at this point? Has a ton of medicinal benefits, far safer and better for you than smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol. It should be regulated by the government, taxed and run like it is in a number of US states.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nah then, it's kicking off in the Tash household.

Ms Dick the metropolitan police commissioner has gone on record and said that there is a direct link between the loss of 20,000 coppers and the rise in street crime. Which totally contradicts what our esteemed prime minister has said. Ms Dick has also gone on record and said that " the rise in middle class drugs users has helped to cause the rise in violent crime". Now first and foremost the only drugs Tashyboy uses is Ibuprofen and paracetamol for me back. And I can honestly say that I do not know of one single person who is my friend that actually takes drugs. Missis T said " yes, that's coz your working class and not middle class" . First of all am retired but not that bad off, but what exactly do you class as lower, middle and Upper class. But more important is drug use in the middle class that rife. Don't get me wrong, someone is taking them but who.
PS, saw me first ever viewing of someone taking class A drugs in the toilets at awembley the other week. He did it in front of dozens of folks like he wasn't even bothered.
Thoughts please me dears.

she said "middle class" not "middle aged"!

it's very common in the 18-35 age bracket, but most people grow out of it. I smoked a fair bit of weed from leaving school, 3 or 4 times a week until I got married and had kids, it then became a lot less frequent, maybe once a month, and it's now 10-15 years since I had any. This is a pretty common pattern, but there are exceptions to the rule - I know a few who still smoke it regularly and are in their 50s now.

I think coke is more of a problem than weed these days, its use has increased massively over the last decade.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
11.58 update https://news.sky.com/story/live-knife-crime-crisis-the-battle-to-end-surge-in-violence-11656432 Police demanding more powers to stop people without reasonable grounds. Not so sure on that. Isn't that just the old SUSS laws and what led to race issues, bad apples in the police taking liberties and harassment cases? Think the police will need a strict set of guidelines and for it to be properly managed. Not sure that will happen and not sure this is a forward move

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you had asked me that a while ago I would have said yes, I don't use myself but I see the benefits of decriminalising it. The introduction of the stronger spice cannabis has made me question that. I would need to hear what the experts say on this, from various agencies. I doubt it will happen in the near future as no politician wants to be the one who looks 'soft' on drugs, irrespective of the advice they are given. It has been largely a political decision to keep it criminal imo.

Spice isn't cannabis, it's a completely different man made drug. It's use combined with cannabis is unpleasant, but they are not the same thing and legalising cannabis wouldn't lead to legalised spice.

People can already buy cannabinoid products legally which are derived from cannabis. I use them sometimes myself. I'd much prefer cannabis was legalised as current drug policy is a mess, somewhat based on outdated and misinformed opinion instead of science. So I think a change is long overdue.

Cannabis is nothing compared to the drug that does most harm in our society - alcohol.