Old and past it…

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, I see.
At least this way it can be taxed - so the government gets a cut of the illicit money!

(But why do these barbers have to have such lavish premises? And why on high streets? Surely a dingy back street shop would reduce their costs?)

All about appearance, has to look like people will go there. Better it looks more than can charge , more they can charge more they can cook the books

D

Deleted member 29109

My neighbour is an actual Turkish barber.

Most of these so called Turkish Barbers aren’t, they are more than likely laundering for Albanians (and others).

He hates them because of how it reflects on him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wonder if there will be a rise in Turkish baths again on the back of these Turkish barbers. I actually use to enjoy going to one near Hammersmith when I worked up there. Didn't like the massage part as always felt like he was a Greco-Roman wrestler but always came out a new man.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wouldn’t take much time to shut them down. You just watch several day’s activities and correlate it with paid in takings .. you would get the dealer as well.
But if your capitalist you would not process the dealer you would investigate him financially and tax him/her correctly.
Basically you remove the profit from the business and even though it’s not legitimate your saving prison space, redistributing the wealth back into the system .. they will seek other avenues you just keep the tax bills coming in and they will keep paying to not be investigated further ..

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It wouldn’t take much time to shut them down. You just watch several day’s activities and correlate it with paid in takings .. you would get the dealer as well.
But if your capitalist you would not process the dealer you would investigate him financially and tax him/her correctly.
Basically you remove the profit from the business and even though it’s not legitimate your saving prison space, redistributing the wealth back into the system .. they will seek other avenues you just keep the tax bills coming in and they will keep paying to not be investigated further ..

Your last two paragraphs just describes the status quo… Set up a flashy barbers with 5-10 chairs, only have 1 or 2 barbers working, bank about 5-10k per week, happily paying the tax on it (after writing down your profits with inflated lavish refits every few months)
Cheapest way to clean up your cash. Chinese have been doing it for years with nail bars.
The government get their cut, (living off immoral earnings, who’d have thunk it!) easy life for the police, (which suits them just fine) and you get a slick Turk/Moldovan/Albanian do to set of your white teeth. Everyone’s a winner. 👍

NearHull

Visit site
to a lessor extent, here there are a fair number of Asian nail shops, all cashless. I told my wife about the distinct possibility that they were money laundering, but she was sceptical. We also have a cashless Chinese’s food take away that does very little business.
If we can work it out, what are the reasons that the professional law enforcement agencies don’t act?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your last two paragraphs just describes the status quo… Set up a flashy barbers with 5-10 chairs, only have 1 or 2 barbers working, bank about 5-10k per week, happily paying the tax on it (after writing down your profits with inflated lavish refits every few months)
Cheapest way to clean up your cash. Chinese have been doing it for years with nail bars.
The government get their cut, (living off immoral earnings, who’d have thunk it!) easy life for the police, (which suits them just fine) and you get a slick Turk/Moldovan/Albanian do to set of your white teeth. Everyone’s a winner. 👍
HM revenue can be adjusted to increase the taxation on certain businesses as well… chase them around and offer a tax cut if they build hospitals 🤭

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do actually use a Turkish barbers to get my hair cut. Always busy, they take card, but do prefer cash.

Service is great and always leave high!!! 😵‍💫

All fixed sir!

On a side note there is a lot of assumptions in the thread that pretty much sum up the direction of the forum.

My barber is Iranian, yes 60% of the staff are also from Iran but the rest are from local barbers on the high street that left to work for him.

Is the shop flash - yup, 60” tv on the wall with sports always on (complete with the same icon that the pubs pay for in the bottom corner)

Is the shop always rammed - absolutely, walks in are virtually impossible, all box via Booksy app which was launched in covid for independents.

Cash - yes they take it, but it’s used for tips when people pay by card direct to the staff.

He has put 3 barbers out of business on our high street simply because he’s a nice guy, looks after his staff, will stay open or open early if needed (opened at 8am the morning of my wedding for people to get wet shaved etc) just a general hard working sound guy.

Last edited: