Life, the universe, and everything.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You are in a dreamworld.
It's called Plato's Cave Allegory, which means you only ever see shadows of reality.
You cannot see hidden dimensions, but they might appear in dreams.

On the subject of the universe:
It's big. It's dark. But it is lit up a bit by 2 trillion galaxies each containing billions of stars.
Dark matter makes up most of the matter. We don't know what it is other than it likes to hang out with galaxies.
At the centre of a galaxy is a supermassive black hole, into which all the stars are falling.

We don't know what the universe is or why it bothers to exist.
We can speculate the reason, possibly to transition muons (large electrons) into electrons.
But we don't know why it is destroying itself.

Before all the stars flicker out and die, any life remaining might escape through massive worm holes into another universe.
In its final state, the universe will just be radiation.
Please try to stop being patronising, especially about stuff you have only a vague grasp of. We really don't need to be "educated" about these things by somebody who only barely understands them.

But just one factoid FYI: I've previously mentioned that the supermassive black holes at the centre of pretty much every galaxy are NOT gobbling up all the stars. They are just another massive object around which other objects orbit.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Please try to stop being patronising, especially about stuff you have only a vague grasp of. We really don't need to be "educated" about these things by somebody who only barely understands them.

But just one factoid FYI: I've previously mentioned that the supermassive black holes at the centre of pretty much every galaxy are NOT gobbling up all the stars. They are just another massive object around which other objects orbit.
That probably explains why most of my putts drop short. 😉👍

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seems like none of you guys know about the supreme law of the universe.
It's called the 2nd law of thermodynamics and explains why the universe starts with low entropy and moves to high entropy.
Stars will burn off all their fuel and even black holes will evaporate, leaving nothing but radiation.

If you find this boring then consider this.
The Earth weighs nearly 6 billion trillion metric tons and yet it is suspended in space.
If you can explain why, I'll give a like.
Clue: It was explained by one man in the first quarter of the last century..

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It's called the 2nd law of thermodynamics and explains why the universe starts with low entropy and moves to high entropy.
Stars will burn off all their fuel and even black holes will evaporate, leaving nothing but radiation.

The Earth weighs nearly 6 billion trillion metric tons and yet it is suspended in space.
"Suspended" in space is a theory.
All matter is "infecting" space is another theory.
Space has to bend around the matter. Space would be much more uniform if there were no matter in the way.
Gravity is the effect of space "wanting" to get back into the region occupied by the matter that is in the way.
The "weight" or size of the matter does not matter (haha). A tiny object or a larger object will be subject to the same forces of the universe.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
"Suspended" in space is a theory.
All mater is "infecting" space is another theory.
Space has to bend around the matter. Space would be much more uniform if there were no matter in the way.
Gravity is the effect of space "wanting" to get back into the region occupied by the matter that is in the way.
The "weight" or size of the matter does not matter (haha). A tiny object or a larger object will be subject to the same forces of the universe.
I have a feeling your wasting your time and excellent opinion on some 👍

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Please don't presume what the good folks on here may or may not know about how the universe works.
You could be unlucky and end up arguing with people who have degrees in Astrophysics.
The Earth doesn't "weigh" anything. (It has a mass of about 6 x 10^24kg)
It isn't "suspended" in space. It's just there, following a geodesic in spacetime, like all the other objects in the universe.
What are you expecting it to do - fall downwards? There is no up or down in space.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Of course none of this is fact, it is all a theory.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please don't presume what the good folks on here may or may not know about how the universe works.
You could be unlucky and end up arguing with people who have degrees in Astrophysics.

It isn't "suspended" in space. It's just there, following a geodesic in spacetime, like all the other objects in the universe.
What are you expecting it to do - fall downwards? There is no up or down in space.
I once did this :oops:.
During a discussion about space & astrophysical stuff amongst 12 of us in the CIC hut on Ben Nevis - with me being a newbie - I was strongly taking a contrary view to 'Frank' and was vociferously insisting he was wrong. During a fag break outside, one of the others quietly said " I'm guessing you don't know that Frank's got a Doctorate in Astrophysics ..." Oops.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Looks you won't be getting a 'Like' then 🤣