Garden/woodland ideas

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
at the bottom of the garden, we have some very overgrown section. It has canopy cover from neighbor's trees. It is full of tall laurels and some holly. There used to be a bit of sunlight but not much. It feels like a 'forest', if it raining outside, it is brilliant to hear the rain on the canopy (but not get wet at the same time - pure bliss). We recently cut back some laurels and now we get some more light to the ground (but not much). It is also on a slope (on the right hand side of the pic)

It is a rare thing to have such a (small patch) of woodlands in the backgarden, so i dont want to cut it down. But I would like to have some more diversity rather than just laurels. But given the high level of shade, what would the greenfingers on the forum recommend. This is a long term project. I just sowed some wild garlic bulbs this week.

Attachments

• 75366c61-cc8e-4bb2-82da-700561b42fc3.jpeg
    75366c61-cc8e-4bb2-82da-700561b42fc3.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 16

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not much grows in the shade. You might find that cutting back the canopy a little will bring out lots of plants, flowers etc without you actually doing anything else.

RichA

Visit site
We've got a few varieties of nice ferns and some white and purple hellebores for spring colour in our shady spot. Snowdrops and bluebells do very well in the shade too.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You just have to plant the right things in a shady area plenty will grow.

Bluebells and snowdrops will give you a great show in spring, ferns are another good shout, I would also plant Hostas.

We have a woodland area and all these plants give a good show and are very low maintenance.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We put our Hostas in pots with copper rings to protect. They are a snail/slug 5* dining experience.
Pretty much as above, ferns/ hellebores and bulbs for the spring (bluebells and snowdrops).
Nerrines do well in our woodland area and give a bit of late autum colour
We also have Fatsia Japonica which show around this time of year 👍

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Our grass gets sparse under our big sycamore and towards neighbour-over-the-back 6ft wooden fence.
Cyclamen seem to thrive in almost permanent shade. Sun can hit this spot, if it is out, for a couple of hours in the morning only. The less grass - the more cyclamen.
Took this photo moments ago. Doesn't do them justice - they are much deeper pink.

cyclamen.jpg

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Pinched a much better photo off internet - more like the colour of ours.
They seem to flower a few times during the year - as and when they feel like it.

cyclamen2.jpg