Mid-Handicap Matchplay

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People can’t cope with the information needed to fill in a score card as it is. Can you imagine the confusion twos sets of stroke indexes would cause!

There in lies the problem.

When this first came out we had two cards one for match and one for stroke play. You would not believe the number of players that used the wrong card. In the end we ditched the match play cards and stroke indexes in favour of stroke play ones as there is very little match play here in comparison against stableford.

sunshine

Visit site
Its a point I was surprised and disappointed wasnt cleared up in the move to WHS. Distorting indexes, to suit matchplay, when 99.99% of competitive amateur rounds today are not matchplay, is an anaochronism. It distorts handicaps. And last but not least from someone off 11-12....is biased against those of us in the middle ground of shots on some holes only ! It doesmt affect category one, and likely doesnt affect those on 16-18.

How does it distort handicaps and how is it biased? ?

TigerTime

Visit site
Just for a bit of a different POV.

Had the first match of our summer foursomes knockouts yesterday, Myself (19) and an 11 handicapper against a 12 and 10. We were 7 up at one point and absolutely cruising, so much that one of the opponents was away to complain to the club that our handicaps are "false". It finished 5&4 victory but they were not happy.

As I said to them, for me, inconsistency is the killer, and it's a different game with a card in my hand than without, but apparently I'm an intentional bandit.

I also just play better without a card in my hand, and I love games like matchplay/skins etc. Gives you something to properly chase.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Opponent for round 2 has been drawn.

One of the clubs more steady players, his current index is 11.3, due to be played by 5th June - full report will be produced regardless of the outcome. :ROFLMAO:

Going to be fun receiving shots this time!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How does it distort handicaps and how is it biased? ?
Because it results in shots in singles stroke/vpar/stableford competitions not being taken at the correct holes. The effect is small but it is there, as strokes are not being taken on their true 1 to 18 difficulty ranking, but a modified version of them according to the needs of matchplay.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simply play whats in front of you whether you are giving or receiving shots. You can only control your own ball and not what the opponents is or may do. The OP should have learned that keeping it in play and making the opponent work rather than giving silly holes away makes life a lot easier. Not sure about the length of time looking for a ball but not bothered by a fist pump and show of emotion. Done it myself and had it done to me. No problem and just head to the next and try and win that

peld

Visit site
im playing my single tie at the weekend (got a bye first round).

I was giving my oppo 10 shots, but fortunately he was joint first in the medal the other week and got a massive cut! (think its not just 6 or 7 shots now. Imagine he doesnt have 20 cards so cut is more severe). So either he was a bandit and cut to something more appropriate, or he played the round of his life last weekend.....

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Round 2 on Wednesday.

Full report Thursday morning.
There has been a poll and it has been decided that we need the report on Wednesday evening at the latest. If it is going to be on Thursday we need a specific time please.

Good luck and dare I ask what your strategy is for this round!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There has been a poll and it has been decided that we need the report on Wednesday evening at the latest. If it is going to be on Thursday we need a specific time please.

Good luck and dare I ask what your strategy is for this round!

Wednesday evening? Surely an event such as this needs to be broadcast live?