Mid-Handicap Matchplay

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So this evening I am playing in the first round of the KO match play at my club this year.

Handicaps are limited in this comp to a PH of 22 - my opponent has an index of 22ish so he will hit this cap and be limited to it - hes in a great run of form this year though and made at least 3/4 top 5 finishes in comps in recent history.

My current PH would be 16, so I'm giving him 6 shots, and on all of these holes I'd normally be happy with a bogey myself! I do accept I can par/ birdie any of them as I dont struggle with length, my shots are lost because of accuracy or duffs!

I'll be honest, I can only see this match going one way and it wont be positive for me! I feel like being in the 12-17 range is a slight handicap in itself for these type of games. I do not yet possess the skills of a single digit handicapper who will expect a level of consistency in their game and can make 4/5 pars in a row to recover and neither do I possess the shots in the match to be used to my advantage.

Anyone else in the same boat? What do you do to get over it, because I already feel defeated :ROFLMAO: and out of interest has anyone ever seen a mid handicapper win the match play at their club?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So this evening I am playing in the first round of the KO match play at my club this year.

Handicaps are limited in this comp to a PH of 22 - my opponent has an index of 22ish so he will hit this cap and be limited to it - hes in a great run of form this year though and made at least 3/4 top 5 finishes in comps in recent history.

My current PH would be 16, so I'm giving him 6 shots, and on all of these holes I'd normally be happy with a bogey myself! I do accept I can par/ birdie any of them as I dont struggle with length, my shots are lost because of accuracy or duffs!

I'll be honest, I can only see this match going one way and it wont be positive for me! I feel like being in the 12-17 range is a slight handicap in itself for these type of games. I do not yet possess the skills of a single digit handicapper who will expect a level of consistency in their game and can make 4/5 pars in a row to recover and neither do I possess the shots in the match to be used to my advantage.

Anyone else in the same boat? What do you do to get over it, because I already feel defeated :ROFLMAO: and out of interest has anyone ever seen a mid handicapper win the match play at their club?

If he is off 22 ish, he would likely be happy to double bogey them. Dont forget, all you have to do is take less shots than the other guy.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
if you go in with that mindset you might as well not play.

Get yourself a game plan and stick to it. Someone off 22 is going to be erratic so you just need to make sure you stay in each hole.

There is a very good chance they won’t be hot with the putter so don’t give too many short putts.

Stay in your own game and don’t try to force wins.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've tended to only play pairs matchplay comps for that reason! It grates a little to give shots on the hardest holes that I already struggle with. Unless in pairs you've got twice the chance. Even in the foursomes, my partner is a longer hitter than me so that helped.

The last time I did play a singles matchplay was a few years ago at my old club. I won a couple of rounds but lost to a 6 handicapper in the end. And it wasn't the hardest holes he beat me on - he did it by birdying the easiest ones.

My mindset would be just play each hole the best I can as normal, and not worry about how many shots are given. If you get caught up trying to par the hardest holes you could make a hash of it being too aggressive, find yourself losing the hole when both of you make doubles, whereas a sensible bogey would have got you the half. As said, if he's off 22 he's potentially making a double on those difficult holes regularly.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You shouldn't really look at it like that. Remember, the holes where you must give him the shots are the most difficult - he is more likely to struggle with them than you are and hand you one or two and the shot doesn't even come into it. And, on 12 holes where he doesn't get a shot, you are more likely to score better than him him than he is you. If you are playing well enough, you will win some of those.
A lower handicapper is also more consistent - you are more likely to play closer to your handicap than he is.
So it's advantage you really !

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got knocked out giving 4 shots on Saturday, to a chap with a 18 handicap, 22 at the course.
The biggest mistake I made constantly was not punishing his errors. He had a few poor drives which I went and followed. Put the pressure on and make him feel it, his second will be a lot tougher if he's topped his drive and you're dead centre way up the fairway.

Other than that, he was a great guy and we enjoyed the chat. Just have fun.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you approach the game with a defeated already mindset you've lost already.
Yes you have to give him 6 shots, but youre not playing the course...youre playing him and on 12 holes youre both even.
Have confidence in yourself and your game, and you will be fine.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you approach the game with a defeated already mindset you've lost already.
Yes you have to give him 6 shots, but youre not playing the course...youre playing him and on 12 holes youre both even.
Have confidence in yourself and your game, and you will be fine.

This. My last team match play game I was giving 13 shots. Woman used to have the same handicap as I currently have.

IanMcC

Visit site
Last week I played a 16 handicapper who hits it longer than me. Im off 10, so I was giving him 6 shots. Beat him at the 19th.
Dont ever go into a match thinking you are beaten, or even second favourite.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

My current PH would be 16, so I'm giving him 6 shots, and on all of these holes I'd normally be happy with a bogey myself! I do accept I can par/ birdie any of them as I dont struggle with length, my shots are lost because of accuracy or duffs!*

Wrong mindset entirely.

Ok, so you have to give him 6 shots. But he's not as good a golfer as you are - his handicap indicates that. And his handicap is limited. You say he's been on form recently. That's only for games he's already played. Who can tell what he'll do in his next round. Just go out with the attitude that you're the better golfer and that you're going to win. Then play as well as you can.