Membership Recruitment Ideas

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You may be able to afford this with no problems ,but some members want to know why certain members get cheaper fees for the same product purely based on age.

That dosnt seem right to me.

If I can afford it I can afford it. The affordability of my membership to me has nothing whatsoever to do with what anther member or group of members might be paying. Right or Wrong doesn't come into it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s not about what others are paying, it’s about what you are happy to pay. Are you getting value? Yes or no? If yes what’s the problem, if no leave.
The age thing is arbitrary but if you are going to incentivise some groups there must be a cap somewhere. The hope is they stay for many years post 35

And what grant said ^^^

Yup - agree with you 100% on this (makes a change agreeing - it feels good :) )

And in respect of our Transitional (age-related) Memberships. Now I have no idea what we charge and I have no idea what the memberships give or exclude - but they seem to be working as we have had a significant influx of new members in the 25-35 age range over the last few years - and they are adding greatly to our comps, roll-ups and the general mix and social side.

Hopefully they stay with us when they have to move to Full Membership - and we increase the chance of that happening by embracing and including each as if he were just another member - which he is. But what we do not do is ask them how much they are paying for their membership and then moaning to them about it or whinging behind their back.

And always bearing in mind that were they not there, then my membership subs would be greater.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if your over 40-45 then your experience of money when young is largely irrelevant to today's young.

If you're late 20s early 30s now then you would been late teens early twenties in 2008 when we had the global financial crash. Meaning our entire career has been during the slowest period of wage growth in decades.

Think how many pay rises there have been in the last 10 years, now imagine having no pay rises and being on a junior position salary

Then throw in the cost of living and the price of housing, a one bed flat where I am is £250,000 to buy which is a £50,000 deposit. Or £1,000pcm to rent. That's not in a particular nice area either.

The average age of buying a home has jumped dramatically recently because it is unaffordable, and people aren't being promoted into middle management roles until later than previously.

I don't get cheaper subs, but I've been playing since I was a junior so will budget because I love the game. None of my peers will take up golf membership if it's at full price, they laugh at how much it costs.

Very good post

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think loyalty is diminishing as there is no reward or incentive to remain loyal. A 20 year member has no less (financial) privilege than a year 1 member on reduced fees due to age. Golf clubs cannot keep relying on 'loyal' members automatically renewing full membership every year, there needs to be added benefit....in some ways, the focus should be on retention as much as attracting new members.

Agreed it has to be about retention first and foremost the secondly it's about new members. It is no different to any business really, keep existing customers happy while trying to court new customers.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not exactly initial recruitment but..Reward Loyalty- Every 5 years = The next year is half price Subs.

No thats going to hit a Club's finances hard.......

I cant understand why anyone in the UK thinks that Golf Club Membership is 'expensive', at all !
I mean, come on, how many people pay what......£500/1000, or even wayyyy more for a 1 or 2 week Holiday ? Compare that to your Yearly Subs, and I guess they'll range from £3/400 per year to maybe £15000/yr or more,
depending on where everyone is a Member.
For that though, you get complete and unfettered access whenever you want, notwithstanding weekend Medals and Guests etc........you literally can play as much as you want.
Now to me, thats worth way more than any £1000 Holiday.

My own Club for example, has increased Subs this year by the normal yearly increase, as usually happens, but also by £60 as a one off Levy to all, to try and compensate the Club for some fairly extensive work they have had to undertake
the last few years due to Chafer Grub issues.
Lots are unhappy about it, but in reality, IF they move, (and some have), they'll have far less access on to their new Course, as most around us are far more packed at weekends especially.

To me, an extra £200/year, to be able to rock up to my first Tee at 1/1.30pm on a Saturday, and for the most part, walk on, without being pushed or held up, is money well spent.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No thats going to hit a Club's finances hard.......

I cant understand why anyone in the UK thinks that Golf Club Membership is 'expensive', at all !
I mean, come on, how many people pay what......£500/1000, or even wayyyy more for a 1 or 2 week Holiday ? Compare that to your Yearly Subs, and I guess they'll range from £3/400 per year to maybe £15000/yr or more,
depending on where everyone is a Member.
For that though, you get complete and unfettered access whenever you want, notwithstanding weekend Medals and Guests etc........you literally can play as much as you want.
Now to me, thats worth way more than any £1000 Holiday.

I don't disagree with that, but the time to play is probably more difficult to find for many as opposed to the money for fees. Albeit reduced fees obviously make it easier to justify.

If you are only playing twice, or even three times a month, during the summer months then c.£1000 isn't good value at all.

Add in a few wet weekends and its even less good value.

Personally I had to give up membership as I simply couldn't play enough. I am keen to get back into it, but it will probably be 2019 and only if its affordable (on top of family holiday and anything that's required around the house).
Also as long as the wife doesn't have to work weekends.

That's a fair few boxes to tick with the money for fees only one of those.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm of the belief most people who leave don't leave because of the fees, they leave because they want to try another club, they want to go to football/rugby instead or they just want to become social golfers and spend more time with their family. I know 4 people who have done exactly this, went from 3 times a week summer golfers to 4 times a year social golfers, fee cost wasn't the driver for them to leave the club.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm of the belief most people who leave don't leave because of the fees, they leave because they want to try another club, they want to go to football/rugby instead or they just want to become social golfers and spend more time with their family. I know 4 people who have done exactly this, went from 3 times a week summer golfers to 4 times a year social golfers, fee cost wasn't the driver for them to leave the club.

With you there Val :thup:

Time is far more precious these days.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

3 of our young lads are doing that too, one just married and will be spending more time in Aberdovey, one concentrating on his personal trainer business and the last one doing Architect exams this year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm sorry , but I personally feel, if you ain't kept these younger players by about the age of 25, then you ain't getting them.

Speaking from my own personal history
Between the age of 20-30 , I'd say I had the greatest amount of disposable income I ever had in my life.
Between 30-40, not a lot changed, even after house purchase and my son arrived.
( 2nd household income added )
But..... The least disposable income I've had would be from 40 plus

I'd stagger membership fees up til 25yrs , after that it would be full, one price for all
Giving reductions to 30 or 35 year olds is just not on, in my book

I would though give huge reductions, to anybody completely new to the game, for the 1st couple of years maybe.
Somebody with no golf history at all

Incentivising 25-30-35 year olds is nonsense
I've seen it happen locally to me, where a few big groups around these ages, just jump from club to club, until these deals expire
There's no loyalty in golf anymore......

That seems a common sense approach. We get nomadic groups coming in, staying for a year or two and then off to the next best deal. You could argue clubs need to do more to encourage loyalty, but if they are offering a decent course, well furnished clubhouse and regular competitions what more can they really do?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm blessed with a fabulous course, & maybe I'm old school.......but in my 28yrs as a Member, I've thought more often of leaving the 'Mrs than I've ever thouht of leaving my Golf Club.......😉😆

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm blessed with a fabulous course, & maybe I'm old school.......but in my 28yrs as a Member, I've thought more often of leaving the 'Mrs than I've ever thouht of leaving my Golf Club.......😉😆

Other way round for me. Over the last two years I've really done nowt but moan about the place so this years hike means they want me to pay another 50 quid for a product I've done nowt but moan about. It would seem a little hypocritical to rejoin. Some of the lads I play with will be dropping to monthly payments as after the AGM they are worried about the place going under so are covering themselves. One is determined to move and is negotiating a group deal at other courses for those who are with him. There are some who still live close enough to the course that to move will mean further to travel, so are staying, but that's the only reason they are!!!!!
I wonder if they approached the club with a 15 of us will renew if we get a discount?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other way round for me. Over the last two years I've really done nowt but moan about the place so this years hike means they want me to pay another 50 quid for a product I've done nowt but moan about. It would seem a little hypocritical to rejoin. Some of the lads I play with will be dropping to monthly payments as after the AGM they are worried about the place going under so are covering themselves. One is determined to move and is negotiating a group deal at other courses for those who are with him. There are some who still live close enough to the course that to move will mean further to travel, so are staying, but that's the only reason they are!!!!!
I wonder if they approached the club with a 15 of us will renew if we get a discount?

I really don’t get your mindset at all, you moan constantly, you know that the club are struggling financially but you feel it’s right if 15 of you approach the club you may get a discount.

Help your club man, don’t hinder it.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really don’t get your mindset at all, you moan constantly, you know that the club are struggling financially but you feel it’s right if 15 of you approach the club you may get a discount.

Help your club man, don’t hinder it.

I don't get that myself either🤔
Whinge for a year
Clearly unhappy how the place is run
Yet you'd stay if there was a discount
Unbelievable Jeff......!!!!!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too many people moan about how their Golf Club is run, which I guess if its a totally private/commercial affair, then fair enough.
However, if its a Members' Club, run by an elected Committee or Board, as mine is, then unless I am prepared to put myself forward to do the job, I keep my opinions a little on the tempered side,
and am more likely to put a comment/request/idea in the book provided for the Membership in the Clubhouse.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get that myself either🤔
Whinge for a year
Clearly unhappy how the place is run
Yet you'd stay if there was a discount
Unbelievable Jeff......!!!!!

If the subs were held the same as last year I'd have stayed and as the clown on the greens committee has resigned was going to jump at this and then put my stamp on the place (after listening to what the lads were saying for the last two years). They weren't so I'm off. But would go back in a heart beat if that scenario had played out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
However, if its a Members' Club, run by an elected Committee or Board, as mine is, then unless I am prepared to put myself forward to do the job, I keep my opinions a little on the tempered side,
and am more likely to put a comment/request/idea in the book provided for the Membership in the Clubhouse.

This is what we are and fortunately our captain, vice and committee members are fairly proactive in getting current feedback on issues regarding the course, pace of play and the other issues you get at clubs. They usually have their fingers on the pulse but will take positive suggestions forward to committee stage to discuss. I do have my opinions on one area I think we're lacking in, and while I'm having frank conversations with the right people and have offered my services, progress is slow.

I think you make a good point though. I know most clubs have their serial moaners for whom nothing will ever be right but the majority are balanced and indeed I'm sure some would offer help if asked for the better good of the club

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish sometimes the clubs could take individual circumstances into consideration, I pay full whack, work away half the year, not including holidays and weekends away.
A few clubs in Aberdeen and surrounding areas do offshore rates for obvious reasons.
Some people would say they would have to do that for everyone, but a bit of common sense has to come into play.

This was the issue for me when I gave up my membership. I think that clubs need to have a more flexible approach to fees and have different categories of memberships. Working offshore I could be away for 6 weeks in which time I had no opportunity to use my membership. I'd then maybe play once, or very occasionally twice, a week for the 4 weeks I was home before not playing again for another 6 weeks. I was paying the full year's subs for 6 months (maximum) of golf and a lot of that time was during the winter when the offshore work slowed down. It got to the point where each round I played as a member was costing me more than if I'd simply rocked up to the club and played. It became cheaper to travel around a few different clubs and either get signed in by a member if I knew one there or just paid the visitor green fee. Some kind of points based system (De Vere club ran one that I was a member of for a couple of years) or a lower membership fee and then X amount per round would have worked much better for my personal circumstances.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
This was the issue for me when I gave up my membership. I think that clubs need to have a more flexible approach to fees and have different categories of memberships. Working offshore I could be away for 6 weeks in which time I had no opportunity to use my membership. I'd then maybe play once, or very occasionally twice, a week for the 4 weeks I was home before not playing again for another 6 weeks. I was paying the full year's subs for 6 months (maximum) of golf and a lot of that time was during the winter when the offshore work slowed down. It got to the point where each round I played as a member was costing me more than if I'd simply rocked up to the club and played. It became cheaper to travel around a few different clubs and either get signed in by a member if I knew one there or just paid the visitor green fee. Some kind of points based system (De Vere club ran one that I was a member of for a couple of years) or a lower membership fee and then X amount per round would have worked much better for my personal circumstances.

Its difficult to get a happy medium I suppose.
It just frustrates me when the clubs could be doing more.