Membership Recruitment Ideas

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Offer people what they want would be a great start. As already mentioned big solid clubs look after themselves. But most clubs think like the big club. It's been easy and everyone knows business is not easy nor is making money to keep moving forward.

Flexability is key, playmoregolf is a great option and seems to be flying and more and more courses come on board every day, why do seniors get reduced rates? they play more than anybody yet get better value. seniors are the richest people about yet again offered discounts to play, eat etc. yet they punish the middle aged with over the top membership fee's and wonder why where moving on.

I like the rates for under 30s and surely a discount scheme for being loyal would help? seniors who have played at the same course for 40+ years probably do deserve a reduction. but as said all reductions do is reduce the ability to break even.

9 month membership would go down well at wet courses, being closed and your paying £100 a month is hard to take, pretty much why I left Nuneaton. So many options out there, I'm not sure these clubs will survice what ever they add.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting topic this, and clearly one that is affecting many Clubs around the country.

I know the reasons Clubs dropped 'Joining Fees' etc, but for me, thats where a lot of these issues stem from, and what we now have is a 'nomadic' Golfing Community, where no one has 'bought in' to the Club, and therefore feel's no real allegiance and/or inclination to stay, and simply jumps ship to try somewhere else whenever the whim takes them, or conditions encourage.
That in turn makes it a nightmare for Clubs to budget, never knowing how many of the Members will rejoin each year.
Ok, I know one could argue that we all should have freedom of choice, and should be able to move freely, but just saying......

Nomadic golf is certainly something I would embrace if I had enough mates who played golf and weren't club members. This is given that I have young kids and it's a big commitment to join somewhere I potentially won't make enough use of.

In a nomadic group, you could still organise competitions and keep a record of handicaps etc. and usually get decent deals on municipals and courses not attached to clubs. Albeit, playing Saturday's though the summer is going to be a challenge and you are probably going to play a poorer standard of course than you would as a club member.

It's also just not the same as being a club member. You don't get to play in formal competitions, you might not always have a playing partner when you want / are able to play, you won't have a practice area and you can't just nip up for 9 holes after work when you fancy, without paying a green fee. And like I said, your options are likely to be severely limited (or expensive) through the summer.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting topic this, and clearly one that is affecting many Clubs around the country.

I know the reasons Clubs dropped 'Joining Fees' etc, but for me, thats where a lot of these issues stem from, and what we now have is a 'nomadic' Golfing Community, where no one has 'bought in' to the Club, and therefore feel's no real allegiance and/or inclination to stay, and simply jumps ship to try somewhere else whenever the whim takes them, or conditions encourage.
That in turn makes it a nightmare for Clubs to budget, never knowing how many of the Members will rejoin each year.
Ok, I know one could argue that we all should have freedom of choice, and should be able to move freely, but just saying......

For a lot of clubs, the ability to tie people in through joining fees made them excessively complacent about their offering and this is actually where there problems come from. The marketplace has moved on but plenty of clubs havent, many still operating under the premise of "well it used to work so it still should" and then wondering why suddenly they have lost members as some people leave the sport and others join better run facilities (or just go nomadic to get better value for money) rather than staying at the same place that hasnt improved over the last 20 years

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes possibly there is no complete answer , but I would have the course to myself for a couple of months.
It would also give the course a rest.

As far as I am concerned your a member or your not.
Trying to get new members by offering deals just upsets the ones you have.

The case in point we had a Anyone under the age of thirty got a discount, but a 28yr old multi millionaire was paying less than 90% of the other members that didn’t go down well with the lads who were just managing to convince the missus that it’s worth £1300 this year.

This mindset rather annoys me. If I am happy to pay whatever for my membership, then why - actually - should I then be upset if a new member gets it for less - if that new membership goes towards keeping MY membership cost down. This attitude just results in rather selfish resentments being held and negativity towards new members, when in fact we should be welcoming these new members.

We are all members of a club - and the club's ultimate responsibility is to try and do the best and right thing for the membership. And if that means that some will get membership cheaper than me - well that is just fine with me. I have no interest whatsoever in the deals that our many new members have joined on (and we've had a lot over the last 3 yrs). I have not asked and I won't. I am just glad to have them on board.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it sounds.

What chance is there of a complete novice golfer rocking up at a course and paying a years subs and possibly a joining fee? Even if he knew some members... it's such a big commitment on a game that could take years for a complete beginner to even get round a course in under 100.

Very few clubs have a system designed to get novices involved. In America, many clubs have a 9 hole course or a Par 3 course that novices can access and improve on. Obviously there's a few in the UK, but not many.

Most club golfers either started as juniors because their Dad (or mum) golfed OR else played municipal courses before joining a club. Many areas now down't have a municipal course.

Clubs need to take the hit on getting more people involved in the game. Offer golf at massively reduced fees, but with no access to competitions or a handicap. Potentially with weekend access if at all possible / practical for 1 year only. As has been mentioned, include group coaching sessions to give people an idea of how to practice & improve.

Basically, as a loss leader, get them hooked.

Simply increasing the number of golfers is the best way for all clubs to increase their membership numbers without changing anything else about their course or fees.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

What chance is there of a complete novice golfer rocking up at a course and paying a years subs and possibly a joining fee? Even if he knew some members... it's such a big commitment on a game that could take years for a complete beginner to even get round a course in under 100.

Very few clubs have a system designed to get novices involved. In America, many clubs have a 9 hole course or a Par 3 course that novices can access and improve on. Obviously there's a few in the UK, but not many.

Most club golfers either started as juniors because their Dad (or mum) golfed OR else played municipal courses before joining a club. Many areas now down't have a municipal course.

Clubs need to take the hit on getting more people involved in the game. Offer golf at massively reduced fees, but with no access to competitions or a handicap. Potentially with weekend access if at all possible / practical for 1 year only. As has been mentioned, include group coaching sessions to give people an idea of how to practice & improve.

Simply increasing the number of golfers is the best way for all clubs to increase their membership numbers without changing anything else about their course or fees.

My wife had a similar membership at my club

6 months for £250, unlimited range balls and use of the course off peak so set 12 weekday and after 2 weekend. Plus a free lesson thrown in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I do not know if your assertion is actually true because we - for one - have Academy systems for ladies, gents and juniors. This is a way that folks who fancy having a go at golf can get taught about our game; get professional teaching on our range, putting green and chipping ground; and get a few introductory short rounds plus a few academy member comps on the course. From our website

Adult Academy is for those who are new to golf or returning after a long absence. The objective is for those in Academy membership to transfer into one of the playing categories as soon as they are ready. Academy members have a limited allowance of rounds on the course but full use of the Clubhouse and its facilities. They have no voting rights.

Now this doesn't come cheap, cheap. Academy membership starts at £499/annum (bear in mind that full membership is £1560) and runs up to £1050 depending (I think) upon the numbers of rounds you fancy on the course and the amount of coaching you want to sign up to.

You are expected to transfer to full membership after 3 yrs (might have changed to 2) if you want to remain a member of the club.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I do not know if your assertion is actually true because we - for one - have Academy systems for ladies, gents and juniors. This is a way that folks who fancy having a go at golf can get taught about our game; get professional teaching on our range, putting green and chipping ground; and get a few introductory short rounds plus a few academy member comps on the course. From our website

Adult Academy is for those who are new to golf or returning after a long absence. The objective is for those in Academy membership to transfer into one of the playing categories as soon as they are ready. Academy members have a limited allowance of rounds on the course but full use of the Clubhouse and its facilities. They have no voting rights.

Now this doesn't come cheap, cheap. Academy membership starts at £499/annum (bear in mind that full membership is £1560) and runs up to £1050 depending (I think) upon the numbers of rounds you fancy on the course and the amount of coaching you want to sign up to.

You are expected to transfer to full membership after 3 yrs (might have changed to 2) if you want to remain a member of the club.

That certainly sounds like something along the lines I was suggesting. Although I can't think of seeing this elsewhere at other clubs I've been at, or considered.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
That certainly sounds like something along the lines I was suggesting. Although I can't think of seeing this elsewhere at other clubs I've been at, or considered.
We have something on the same lines, called pathway programme for beginners. Includes free taster session, progressing to group lessons, onto a mentor programme where you receive personal support and guidance. No idea on costs though, but think it is popular judging by what our pro has been saying.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This mindset rather annoys me. If I am happy to pay whatever for my membership, then why - actually - should I then be upset if a new member gets it for less - if that new membership goes towards keeping MY membership cost down. This attitude just results in rather selfish resentments being held and negativity towards new members, when in fact we should be welcoming these new members.

We are all members of a club - and the club's ultimate responsibility is to try and do the best and right thing for the membership. And if that means that some will get membership cheaper than me - well that is just fine with me. I have no interest whatsoever in the deals that our many new members have joined on (and we've had a lot over the last 3 yrs). I have not asked and I won't. I am just glad to have them on board.

This is interesting. I understand exactly what you're saying and agree 100% that as members, we have a responsibility to make the club the best it can be. However, it does rankle with me that my club (and others) still give price breaks based on age (all the way to 35!!) and so for nothing more than the year of my birth I pay more than someone else to get exactly the same access to the course and facilities. That simply seems archaic and unfair. I understand the rationale about attracting and hopefully keeping younger members, but I'm not convinced in these days of nomadic golfers and those looking for the best deal that this is the best strategy. I don't know what the right one is, but as I say, it is something that annoys me

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You may be able to afford this with no problems ,but some members want to know why certain members get cheaper fees for the same product purely based on age.

That dosnt seem right to me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clubs shot themselves in the foot. The sheer number of cheap and readily available online tee times helped build ghe culture if nomadic golf so thecquestion may be how to attract these people back. They are, after all, already intetested in golf.

A few clubs joining tigether under one membership could offer the variety that some people look for. A small upfront fee with reduced green fees could offer the payment flexibility. Then, once they are through the door it is up to the club to sell the benefits of being a full member.

Interestingly people are saying improve the course etc but I have never left a club because of the course. I gave left due to attitude, backward thinking or the lack of simple things like roll ups or drawn comps

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You may be able to afford this with no problems ,but some members want to know why certain members get cheaper fees for the same product purely based on age.

That dosnt seem right to me.

I agree and as I said in original reply our bracket goes all the way to 35. That seems wrong to me especially when you'd argue that at that age, many golfers of that age will be in a job, hopefully reasonably well paid and have a degree of disposable income so why are they still getting a discount?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree and as I said in original reply our bracket goes all the way to 35. That seems wrong to me especially when you'd argue that at that age, many golfers of that age will be in a job, hopefully reasonably well paid and have a degree of disposable income so why are they still getting a discount?

its not about the money, more about the time.

Young family means many in their 30s can’t play 3 or 4 times a week.

1 game a week from March to September isn’t justifiable when you can pay as you play for a fraction of the cost.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not about what others are paying, it’s about what you are happy to pay. Are you getting value? Yes or no? If yes what’s the problem, if no leave.
The age thing is arbitrary but if you are going to incentivise some groups there must be a cap somewhere. The hope is they stay for many years post 35

And what grant said ^^^

D

Deleted member 17920

Whilst I know where you are coming from and I understand you’re reason we have a small problem at our club with people going from 28 intermediate membership to full membership , we have an alarming amount that don’t rejoin because they have kids mortgages etc and just don’t have the disposable income to justify it.

How would you combat that?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
its not about the money, more about the time.

Young family means many in their 30s can’t play 3 or 4 times a week.

1 game a week from March to September isn’t justifiable when you can pay as you play for a fraction of the cost.

It’s not about what others are paying, it’s about what you are happy to pay. Are you getting value? Yes or no? If yes what’s the problem, if no leave.
The age thing is arbitrary but if you are going to incentivise some groups there must be a cap somewhere. The hope is they stay for many years post 35

And what grant said ^^^

It strikes me that these 30-35 year olds (as an example bracket) are always up there at weekends and on comp days as well as in the summer. Seems to be many have no issue getting time off from family life. It's that that I dislike when I pay more for as much golf. I have no option but to pay what I'm charged or look elsewhere and at the moment the course in great nick in summer with excellent greens and I get value. I just argue that while age related breaks can work I don't see the need for it to be that high (in terms of age)

I don't know the age breakdown of our turnover and those leaving. Clearly there's a large degree at one end through natural wastage (which will get us all in the end) but I know we've worked hard to get younger people in. I'm not sure how many stay beyond a year (two max) and ho many we've had a for a few years that leave.

I feel nomadic golf is on the rise everywhere and many are just looking for short term membership deals at a good price and will move from club to club in quick succession. I don't know how any club combats this trend

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It strikes me that these 30-35 year olds (as an example bracket) are always up there at weekends and on comp days as well as in the summer. Seems to be many have no issue getting time off from family life. It's that that I dislike when I pay more for as much golf. I have no option but to pay what I'm charged or look elsewhere and at the moment the course in great nick in summer with excellent greens and I get value. I just argue that while age related breaks can work I don't see the need for it to be that high (in terms of age)

I don't know the age breakdown of our turnover and those leaving. Clearly there's a large degree at one end through natural wastage (which will get us all in the end) but I know we've worked hard to get younger people in. I'm not sure how many stay beyond a year (two max) and ho many we've had a for a few years that leave.

I feel nomadic golf is on the rise everywhere and many are just looking for short term membership deals at a good price and will move from club to club in quick succession. I don't know how any club combats this trend

As someone in that age group I stupid say that my pay has not gone up add quickly as some older people may think.

Also take into account that this is the age that people are looking at buying houses, much later than previous generations our disposable incomes aren't that great.

Obviously some are well paid and don't have going families and it may feel like they are taking advantage of the lower prices. But a lot of us aren't in that boat and the reduced fees are what get us back into the game.

From a clubs point of view, it cannot hurt to get younger people in the door who could be members for years and bring in a couple of juniors to boot

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
People, who are probably more cash rich & time rich that me pay less than I do. Doesn’t bother me as I feel I get value. Clubs aren’t proactive they get moaned at, clubs are proactive they get moaned at?? There’s no magic bullet, different people will respond to different incentives, clubs have to be creative.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is interesting. I understand exactly what you're saying and agree 100% that as members, we have a responsibility to make the club the best it can be. However, it does rankle with me that my club (and others) still give price breaks based on age (all the way to 35!!) and so for nothing more than the year of my birth I pay more than someone else to get exactly the same access to the course and facilities. That simply seems archaic and unfair. I understand the rationale about attracting and hopefully keeping younger members, but I'm not convinced in these days of nomadic golfers and those looking for the best deal that this is the best strategy. I don't know what the right one is, but as I say, it is something that annoys me

Me too!!!! Nutz to all places that subscribe to this. Sure I'll pay three times as much as some young lad with money and time to burn..NOT