Birthday Round Recommendations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still two months away in September so no rush, but I'm planning my birthday round. I'm struggling to find the right balance, because my wife will be attending this time, which is nice but makes it an awkward selection. I want a nice course but not too hilly because she struggles with hills, and not too expensive* either because I will now have to pay two times the green fee, haha. Ideally £50 green fee, £60 tops if good value. And less than an hour's drive from Watford as our daughter will be at nursery on the day (a Friday) so need to get back to pick her up.

Any good suggestions that meet my criteria?

*as a sidenote, do you find that post-Covid, courses that used to be around £35 are now charging upwards of £50 and £60? Bit cheeky that. Surely they can't sustain that forever if/when golfing numbers drop off again? It just seems like there aren't any really good-value courses these days. It's either £20 council course or it's 50 quid.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£50 is worth less than it was tho to be fair

I mean I took the kids bowling Saturday then for a maccys

5 of us £30 for one game of bowling
£25 maccers

That's just ridiculous when you think about it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
£50 is worth less than it was tho to be fair

I mean I took the kids bowling Saturday then for a maccys

5 of us £30 for one game of bowling
£25 maccers

That's just ridiculous when you think about it
True, we fritter away £50 regularly these days - one takeaway. Two items of clothing. Last week on our golf trip I bought one round of drinks that cost £70. That was a bit of a blow!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True, we fritter away £50 regularly these days - one takeaway. Two items of clothing. Last week on our golf trip I bought one round of drinks that cost £70. That was a bit of a blow!

£50 is the new £30 it seems in general

My cousin was over from Oz I took her the cinema twice

£10 ish for the cinema itself

First time I got us all the snacks £25 she was like that's 50 dollars .. would be 10 dollars max over in Oz ...I was like welcome to rip of Britain

Second trip I took her to Sainsbury's before and said fill your boots

D

Deleted member 15344

Still two months away in September so no rush, but I'm planning my birthday round. I'm struggling to find the right balance, because my wife will be attending this time, which is nice but makes it an awkward selection. I want a nice course but not too hilly because she struggles with hills, and not too expensive* either because I will now have to pay two times the green fee, haha. And less than an hour's drive from Watford as our daughter will be at nursery on the day (a Friday) so need to get back to pick her up.

Any good suggestions that meet my criteria?

*as a sidenote, do you find that post-Covid, courses that used to be around £35 are now charging upwards of £50 and £60? Bit cheeky that. Surely they can't sustain that forever if/when golfing numbers drop off again? It just seems like there aren't any really good-value courses these days. It's either £20 council course or it's 50 quid.

What is your budget ?

£100 total or £100 each ?

You have lots of courses depending on budget

Grove
West Herts
Woburn
Moor Park
Porters Park
Hadley Wood
Gerrards Cross
Beaconsfield
Old Ford Manor

How much you are willing to pay will determine what people suggwst

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is your budget ?

Grove
West Herts
Woburn
Moor Park
Porters Park
Hadley Wood
Gerrards Cross
Beaconsfield
Old Ford Manor

Sorry for not making that clear - wanted the green fee around £50 or £60 tops.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry for not making that clear - wanted the green fee around £50 or £60 tops.

Your best bet is to look and see what you can’t get on a county card - all those I mentioned are more than that maybe bar Old Ford Manor over in Barnet

West Herts is £36 on a county card

Try Sonning near Reading on a county card

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your best bet is to look and see what you can’t get on a county card - all those I mentioned are more than that maybe bar Old Ford Manor over in Barnet

West Herts is £36 on a county card

Try Sonning near Reading on a county card
West Herts is a good suggestion but I played there on last year's birthday. 😄 Although I did play crap so might be worth returning to right that wrong.

I am looking at County Card rates, but of course my wife doesn't have one so that will only save us on my green fee.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe one of the courses around St Albans?
Verulam is a decent enough track and probably around £50. Plenty of places nearby to eat and drink afterwards as well. Can even use The Abbey Flyer so that you could both have a drink.

sunshine

Visit site
What is your budget ?

Grove £225
West Herts £70
Woburn £255
Moor Park £115
Porters Park £95
Hadley Wood £125
Gerrards Cross £80
Beaconsfield £110
Old Fold Manor £70

Just added the green fees for a friday in September. All considerably out of your budget. The Grove is a nice course but that green fee is taking the piss. Woburn too - great courses but not for the price of an Open venue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just added the green fees for a friday in September. All considerably out of your budget. The Grove is a nice course but that green fee is taking the piss. Woburn too - great courses but not for the price of an Open venue.
This is kind of what I was talking about in the OP. Courses that used to be £35 are charging £65. Courses that used to be a nice day out at 50-60 are charging a ton. It's got a bit out of hand.