Membership Recruitment Ideas

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of posts and not one suggesting the obvious, which is another indication of the problem really.

End the boys club atmosphere at clubs, encourage more women into the club as players by offering a truly equal experience. Make clubs and clubhouses more family friendly. How about members families automatically get use of the clubhouse with or without the member present?

Get people into to the club, give them a great experience and maybe they’ll be more supportive of their partner’s hobby, maybe they’ll give it a try themselves.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of posts and not one suggesting the obvious, which is another indication of the problem really.

End the boys club atmosphere at clubs, encourage more women into the club as players by offering a truly equal experience. Make clubs and clubhouses more family friendly. How about members families automatically get use of the clubhouse with or without the member present?

Get people into to the club, give them a great experience and maybe they’ll be more supportive of their partner’s hobby, maybe they’ll give it a try themselves.

Comments like this concern me.

I left a previous Club because of its stuffy "boys club" atmosphere. My current club is a world away from it. They actively encourage families to use the facilities. My boy was absolutely spoiled every time he came to the Club with me. They couldn't do enough for us.

Also, last year I was going to leave. A new job with quite a bit of a commute meant I had no spare time to play. I explained my situation to the Club President and the offered me a reduced House membership and the option to play anytime I wanted at Guest rates (they actually haven't enforced this and refuse my payment each time).

This is a traditional members Club by the way. Needless to say that I'll be rejoining as a full member in the next few weeks (along with the boy).

I genuinely thought that most clubs were heading this way, but clearly not!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've read all of the thread now and there has been some really good posts. The more I think about it the more I think it is about getting your product right. The strongest clubs in my part of the world have the course in top condition, good practice facilities and a welcoming pro and clubhouse. It's not a great deal more complicated than that.

The ones that are struggling are missing on one of these key points. I don't underestimate the issue of the nomad but make your product great and they become less of a problem.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Don’t disagree. Aside from the membership part of integrating women, our club allow anyone to use the clubhouse for food whether invited by a member or not, it keeps our clubhouse ticking over financially very well through the winter

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Comments like this concern me.

I left a previous Club because of its stuffy "boys club" atmosphere. My current club is a world away from it. They actively encourage families to use the facilities. My boy was absolutely spoiled every time he came to the Club with me. They couldn't do enough for us.

Also, last year I was going to leave. A new job with quite a bit of a commute meant I had no spare time to play. I explained my situation to the Club President and the offered me a reduced House membership and the option to play anytime I wanted at Guest rates (they actually haven't enforced this and refuse my payment each time).

This is a traditional members Club by the way. Needless to say that I'll be rejoining as a full member in the next few weeks (along with the boy).

I genuinely thought that most clubs were heading this way, but clearly not!!

The house membership thing is interesting, is it a good way of retaining membership with the hardship of a sting for the full fee at once?

My fear from a club finance POV would be if it became the norm to offer it then many would just opt for it anyway, play the golf they would normally (maybe just once a week through summer in some cases) and the club get less revenue than they would if they retained full membership if the intention was staying at the club anyway if this offer wasn’t there.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The house membership thing is interesting, is it a good way of retaining membership with the hardship of a sting for the full fee at once?

My fear from a club finance POV would be if it became the norm to offer it then many would just opt for it anyway, play the golf they would normally (maybe just once a week through summer in some cases) and the club get less revenue than they would if they retained full membership if the intention was staying at the club anyway if this offer wasn’t there.

It was an unofficial offer mate. Done because for some reason they like me 😂

However, if they hadn't done it I can't guarantee that I'd be rejoining!!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It was an unofficial offer mate. Done because for some reason they like me 

However, if they hadn't done it I can't guarantee that I'd be rejoining!!

Its good management though, they’ve taken your individual circumstances into consideration, due to your work and now you are re-joining, so it’s a win, win situation.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its good management though, they’ve taken your individual circumstances into consideration, due to your work and now you are re-joining, so it’s a win, win situation.

Unless word gets out and then the club gets a queue of people wanting the same deal

We have a membership category which is a holding one - they pay a yearly fee get all the benefits of a social member and they can then play golf at a guest rate fee but not play in comps etc

I’m all for these sort of memberships but it has to be available to all - we used to give some members “special deals” but that was all binned a couple years back to make sure all treated the same

D

Deleted member 17920

Unless word gets out and then the club gets a queue of people wanting the same deal

We have a membership category which is a holding one - they pay a yearly fee get all the benefits of a social member and they can then play golf at a guest rate fee but not play in comps etc

I’m all for these sort of memberships but it has to be available to all - we used to give some members “special deals” but that was all binned a couple years back to make sure all treated the same
Phil, how much different is that holding membership compared to full membership.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I think that's fair enough - and for clubs who have decent membership levels and their only real concern is managing access to the course on a Saturday it may be a reasonable option.

But for clubs closer to the breadline, even 8 or 9 people changing to that sort of deal is crippling for them with probably thousands in lost revenue, unless you get new people joining or re-joining.

Other option may be to restrict this kind of offer to people for 1 or 2 years only, perhaps during a busy period of work / family life to keep in touch with them with the intention of having them re-join after a year or two, or else they have to leave.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off the top of me head it’s about £140 a year ? Social membership is £100 a year

My House membership is £40 and the course access (sweet deal) is only really open for one year. I've taken them up on it 3 times in the last 12 months, so not really taking the mick.. I'm sure they'd voice their concerns if I was playing every week as it would make a mockery of the reasons I gave for not fully rejoining.. It's easily manageable and has resulted in a happy member rejoining this year..

D

Deleted member 17920

Off the top of me head it’s about £140 a year ? Social membership is £100 a year
How many times do they get to play for that extra £40.

My fear would be that it’s always an easy excuse to drop down a category, we have a substantial amount of members that are not interested in competitions.

D

Deleted member 15344

How many times do they get to play for that extra £40.

My fear would be that it’s always an easy excuse to drop down a category, we have a substantial amount of members that are not interested in competitions.

I’m not actually sure but I think they can play as much as they want but it’s monitored and people really only go to it if they know they won’t play much that year - also they aren’t added to the playing membership so when they want to go back to full member they need to join waiting list ( at the top of course ) during the membership year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

It's a very good point. Our womens section tend to be pretty insular and run their own events, comps etc and the demographic certainly high (easily 60+) and so the problem I see is two fold. It's pretty hard to get women into the game in the first place totally agree the stuff boys club atmosphere plays a part in this. From my clubs perspective, we're a long way from that and have been for decades. However, from there, I'm not overly convinced the ladies section are overly welcoming and seems, certainly looking in as being rather cliquey. That to me would be the bigger hurdle to overcome