Membership Recruitment Ideas

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors to pay double everyone else. Well they can play anytime they want and 7 days a piggin' week!!!! I had to laugh at one lady member (friend of mine) who complained to me about the increase in subs "they think all seniors are loaded". From the lady who drives a brand new car with personalised number plate and husband who car is three years old with also personalised number plate and me with my Y reg Toyota. Struggling along paying the man, with no winter fuel allowance or final salary pension to look forward to as my retirement age keeps being moved ever further away in the hope I'll die before collecting on it and the NHS being underfunded to ensure this will happen.:mad:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Me too!!!! Nutz to all places that subscribe to this. Sure I'll pay three times as much as some young lad with money and time to burn..NOT

What about all the young people who have just bought a house, newly married, young families etc.

If you lose them as members now, they may never become members again

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I know where you are coming from and I understand you’re reason we have a small problem at our club with people going from 28 intermediate membership to full membership , we have an alarming amount that don’t rejoin because they have kids mortgages etc and just don’t have the disposable income to justify it.

How would you combat that?

I'd not have them paying a reduced fee in the first place.

D

Deleted member 17920

I'd not have them paying a reduced fee in the first place.
Brilliant, so let’s reward all juniors that start at the age of 5 with full subs..

At what point should you start paying full subs then?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Age related fees are always going be controversial. Some of the younger group will be scraping along while others are flush.
Same with the older generation.
Assumptions are made that as you get older you automatically have more disposal income and, of course, that ain't necessarily so.
The only fair way is proper means testing so what you pay is directly linked to what you can afford.
That isn't going to happen.....
I'm not a fan of staggered fees . I like the principle that if you want something you pay the rate for it and everyone pays the same.
But where they are in place, you've either got to suck it up or move on. Simples.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I wish sometimes the clubs could take individual circumstances into consideration, I pay full whack, work away half the year, not including holidays and weekends away.
A few clubs in Aberdeen and surrounding areas do offshore rates for obvious reasons.
Some people would say they would have to do that for everyone, but a bit of common sense has to come into play.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about all the young people who have just bought a house, newly married, young families etc.

If you lose them as members now, they may never become members again

They will.
Anyway they are all chasing other stuff, Sky, BT Sports, £30 a month mobile phones, brand new cars being rented at £250 a month, Nike and Adidas clothing for little Jimmy and Joanna not to mention themselves. Lets also add in child benefit £20 A WEEK for child 1, for every other its £13 A WEEK !!!! So with two kiddies that's £148 A MONTH. These people CAN afford golf membership,they just choose to spend money on other things. Check your local pub that used to be rammed every night. Not any more. See above for where that money is being now spent! This day and age these types have shed loads more disposable income than ever it's where they choose to spend it that's changing. Clubs MUST adapt to try and claw back some of that income.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Age related fees are always going be controversial. Some of the younger group will be scraping along while others are flush.
Same with the older generation.
Assumptions are made that as you get older you automatically have more disposal income and, of course, that ain't necessarily so.
The only fair way is proper means testing so what you pay is directly linked to what you can afford.
That isn't going to happen.....
I'm not a fan of staggered fees . I like the principle that if you want something you pay the rate for it and everyone pays the same.
But where they are in place, you've either got to suck it up or move on. Simples.

Done. And it feels great !

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do get age related payments , but they are in the dark ages when your age did dictate your income .
Juniors no problem I would just say £50 up to 10yrs with a sliding scale to 18yrs .
The way the old colts system was up to 28yr olds but haven’t heard this mentioned for years.
There needs to be a system to help people to play as members , but doing it purely on age is going to upset others.
Any one at uni or full time education half price imo.
But after that can’t see why anybody pays less than the rest just because of age.
There are plenty of 28yr olds who don’t have kids and a mortgage.
Dont know what answer is But age related seems wrong way.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry , but I personally feel, if you ain't kept these younger players by about the age of 25, then you ain't getting them.

Speaking from my own personal history
Between the age of 20-30 , I'd say I had the greatest amount of disposable income I ever had in my life.
Between 30-40, not a lot changed, even after house purchase and my son arrived.
( 2nd household income added )
But..... The least disposable income I've had would be from 40 plus

I'd stagger membership fees up til 25yrs , after that it would be full, one price for all
Giving reductions to 30 or 35 year olds is just not on, in my book

I would though give huge reductions, to anybody completely new to the game, for the 1st couple of years maybe.
Somebody with no golf history at all

Incentivising 25-30-35 year olds is nonsense
I've seen it happen locally to me, where a few big groups around these ages, just jump from club to club, until these deals expire
There's no loyalty in golf anymore......

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm sorry , but I personally feel, if you ain't kept these younger players by about the age of 25, then you ain't getting them.

Between the age of 20-30 , I'd say I had the greatest amount of disposable income I ever had in my life.

I'd stagger membership fees up til 25yrs , after that it would be full, one price for all

I would though give huge reductions, to anybody completely new to the game, for the 1st couple of years maybe.

I've seen it happen locally to me, where a few big groups around these ages, just jump from club to club, until these deals expire

Agree with lots you say on age, its the wrong demographic to target offers on for many clubs

But just to ask on your final point, was playing the game of golf ever supposed to be about loyalty though

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with lots you say on age, its the wrong demographic to target offers on for many clubs

But just to ask on your final point, was playing the game of golf ever supposed to be about loyalty though

No definitely not
Nor do I feel there should be
But plenty others do

I just meant from the stand point of......once the deal expires, these guys jump, never even paying 1 year at full rates.
Which I doubt was the purpose of the reduction, when these clubs marketing teams set them up.
So, in reality, these deals don't really work.........

Reduced fees for anybody totally new to the game...sure
But not different age groups, of current golfers , just creates a messy round about, revolving door situation

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

if your over 40-45 then your experience of money when young is largely irrelevant to today's young.

If you're late 20s early 30s now then you would been late teens early twenties in 2008 when we had the global financial crash. Meaning our entire career has been during the slowest period of wage growth in decades.

Think how many pay rises there have been in the last 10 years, now imagine having no pay rises and being on a junior position salary

Then throw in the cost of living and the price of housing, a one bed flat where I am is £250,000 to buy which is a £50,000 deposit. Or £1,000pcm to rent. That's not in a particular nice area either.

The average age of buying a home has jumped dramatically recently because it is unaffordable, and people aren't being promoted into middle management roles until later than previously.

I don't get cheaper subs, but I've been playing since I was a junior so will budget because I love the game. None of my peers will take up golf membership if it's at full price, they laugh at how much it costs.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No definitely not
Nor do I feel there should be
But plenty others do

I just meant from the stand point of......once the deal expires, these guys jump, never even paying 1 year at full rates.
Which I doubt was the purpose of the reduction, when these clubs marketing teams set them up.
So, in reality, these deals don't really work.........

Reduced fees for anybody totally new to the game...sure
But not different age groups, of current golfers , just creates a messy round about, revolving door situation

I agree, and a revolving door is a good description.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think loyalty is diminishing as there is no reward or incentive to remain loyal. A 20 year member has no less (financial) privilege than a year 1 member on reduced fees due to age. Golf clubs cannot keep relying on 'loyal' members automatically renewing full membership every year, there needs to be added benefit....in some ways, the focus should be on retention as much as attracting new members.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
if your over 40-45 then your experience of money when young is largely irrelevant to today's young.

If you're late 20s early 30s now then you would been late teens early twenties in 2008 when we had the global financial crash. Meaning our entire career has been during the slowest period of wage growth in decades.

Think how many pay rises there have been in the last 10 years, now imagine having no pay rises and being on a junior position salary

Then throw in the cost of living and the price of housing, a one bed flat where I am is £250,000 to buy which is a £50,000 deposit. Or £1,000pcm to rent. That's not in a particular nice area either.

The average age of buying a home has jumped dramatically recently because it is unaffordable, and people aren't being promoted into middle management roles until later than previously.

I don't get cheaper subs, but I've been playing since I was a junior so will budget because I love the game. None of my peers will take up golf membership if it's at full price, they laugh at how much it costs.

I get what you’ve written
But if somebody really wanted to do something
They’d find a way
Golf membership is no different to gym membership in terms of price
Some younger lads pay as much per month for their mobile phone package as what I pay for my golf membership
Problem is.....people want it al
You can’t have it all
So they just prioritise
Golf is just slipping further down the ladder of importance
Or golf membership anyway

As a side note
In my previous job, my last 11 years, I had 3 pay rises, the rest of the time we had to endure pay freezes, which in effect is a cut
As the rest of your bills rise
I still managed to find money for golf membership
As it was my only hobby, so desperately needed that diversion

Like I said earlier
Others have that money but prioritize golf less
Instead, flash cars, holidays, latest mobile phones, designer clothes, gym memberships
So golf is affordable for most
Just they choose other things ahead of golf......
So why offer them further reduced costs/fees

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
They’d find a way

Like I said earlier
Instead, flash cars, holidays, latest mobile phones, designer clothes, gym memberships

Agreed

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
They’d find a way
Golf membership is no different to gym membership in terms of price
Some younger lads pay as much per month for their mobile phone package as what I pay for my golf membership
Problem is.....people want it al
You can’t have it all
So they just prioritise
Golf is just slipping further down the ladder of importance
Or golf membership anyway

As a side note
In my previous job, my last 11 years, I had 3 pay rises, the rest of the time we had to endure pay freezes, which in effect is a cut
As the rest of your bills rise
I still managed to find money for golf membership
As it was my only hobby, so desperately needed that diversion

Like I said earlier

I agree, and as I say I already love the game so will prioritise. But people like me are few and far between.

If clubs want a future they need to get the younger people in the game. Once they're 40 they are unlikely to take up golf and pay full membership.

It may not be the same members, but if you have a generation who play, have kids that they'd encourage to play, and enjoy the benefits of club membership then all clubs will benefit.

Ideally it would me means tested, but as that cannot happen on the whole, I know of a few clubs that will offer reduced rates for lower income. Then you have to generalise, and generally younger adults have less money and less time than older golfers, so to entice them into the game membership rates need to reflect this

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for juniors I'#d have them paying say £50 up to the age of 16. At 16 they can...no hang on it's 18 now. Once at 18 they can do whatever they want. Vote, drink, smoke....the lot. The arguement is that some of their money coming in is better than none, but you can apply that to my FULL subs. My £700 notes has now vanished and my place will need five 18 year olds to replace that sum. Will they get that? LOL! I guess at no?