Membership in Surrey/Middlesex

RobSP86

Visit site
Have just moved to Ashford (near Heathrow, not Kent) and am looking to join a golf club. Will be joining on my own so looking for somewhere friendly where it's easy to just turn up and get a game and/or where competition tee times are randomly drawn etc.

Having done a little research I like the look of Pyrford, Windlesham and West Byfleet but obviously with the dark nights it's not easy to get out and try them all.

Anyone from this area that can offer up any advice or suggestions?

Cheers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with Ashford Manor? I've only played it a couple of times many years ago but it seemed a nice enough course and club house.

West Byfleet is a favorite of mine.

Wide range of courses in that area.

RobSP86

Visit site
What's wrong with Ashford Manor? I've only played it a couple of times many years ago but it seemed a nice enough course and club house.

West Byfleet is a favorite of mine.

Wide range of courses in that area.

I messaged them and was offered a trial round. Unfortunately haven’t been able to get there due to it only being valid for weekdays after 12.

I did look at the course flyover on their website and I walk the dog along the road where you can see some of it over the fence and it appears a bit flat and bland?

Rob

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I messaged them and was offered a trial round. Unfortunately haven’t been able to get there due to it only being valid for weekdays after 12.

I did look at the course flyover on their website and I walk the dog along the road where you can see some of it over the fence and it appears a bit flat and bland?

Rob
I agree with how it looks; but it didn't play that way! It surprised me.

Difficult time of year to make the important judgements on a course - and arrange any trial. Typically you would get out with someone later on a weekend afternoon and gain a good understanding of the course and clubhouse - right now you are almost better looking at the practice facilities and spending a couple of hours having coffee in the clubhouse, reading the noticeboard and soaking it up.

Different strokes for different folks - but AM will have a lot in common with WB as a 'club'. WB is a more interesting course, with a few elevation changes at the back of the course (but not a lot).

RobSP86

Visit site
Yeah it’s not a great time of year for making judgements which is why I have taken to here to see if anyone can give me a bit of insight!

If it was the summer I’d be arranging trials/finding deals on teeofftimes and getting stuck in!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not very far away from you, I’m near Woking.

I’m not familiar with courses over your way but round here it boils down to how much you are prepared to pay and how far you want to travel.

The underlying problem I have is everywhere is either too expensive or too far away. Camberley Heath is an amazing course and would most likely be the most convenient for you to get to but it’s quite pricey. Hampton Court is part of the crown group, I quite enjoyed it and the greens were good too. Price wise it’s at the cheaper end.

Choosing a club is very subjective and all depends on what you want out of it. For example, I’m not sure I could live without a driving range and this is what puts me off camberley heath.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have just moved to Ashford (near Heathrow, not Kent) and am looking to join a golf club. Will be joining on my own so looking for somewhere friendly where it's easy to just turn up and get a game and/or where competition tee times are randomly drawn etc.

Having done a little research I like the look of Pyrford, Windlesham and West Byfleet but obviously with the dark nights it's not easy to get out and try them all.

Anyone from this area that can offer up any advice or suggestions?

Cheers
Not a fan of Pyrford. Windlesham has some real drainage issues in a wet winter and with all the rain we've had in the last 48 hours it will be struggling already.

RobSP86

Visit site
Not a fan of Pyrford. Windlesham has some real drainage issues in a wet winter and with all the rain we've had in the last 48 hours it will be struggling already.

Follow the Windlesham Agronomy twitter account and was only thinking the other day that there was a lot of ‘course status red’ and ‘carry if possible’ warnings already!

Any reason why pyrford isn’t a favourite of yours? Am waiting to hear back from Camberley Heath but couldn’t find a price and was told earlier in the thread it was expensive?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Follow the Windlesham Agronomy twitter account and was only thinking the other day that there was a lot of ‘course status red’ and ‘carry if possible’ warnings already!

Any reason why pyrford isn’t a favourite of yours? Am waiting to hear back from Camberley Heath but couldn’t find a price and was told earlier in the thread it was expensive?

Last time I checked it was around £3k joining fee and £1700 for subs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Don't like the layout at Pyrford and off the yellows find it short. Off the whites its reasonable but not a course that would hold my interest for long and one I feel I'd enjoy playing regularly. If you were travelling as far as Windlesham and Caversham I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest looking at my home club too. Always happy to host for a game and depending on your age there may be reductions in membership fees. Playable all year and a course that is maturing and improving year on year. Definitely cheaper than Camberley Heath!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you remember what the costs are? Their web page isn’t giving any numbers.

Hampton Court is around £1500 for a 7 day £1200 for 5 day. Joining fee is c£200 but very often they will have a gift for joining I got a GPS watch other got a full set of waterproofs. They did a lot of work on the green a few years ago and it's paying dividends now. Interesting course being a links style and some lovely views of the palace. When the rough is up it's a very tough course when the rough is down it's very open.

Depending on your budget there is Fullwell in Twickenham which is £1800pa a well maintained parkland with lovely greens, very flat but if you like manicured golf courses it's really good.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Sunbury Golf Club which is also part of the Crown group is £1100 for 7 day 800 for 5 day. IMO a pretty nothing course but also in your area and the cheaper end of memberships

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you remember what the costs are? Their web page isn’t giving any numbers.

They were doing a 15 months for the price of 12 not so long ago.

Merristwood down near Guildford has an exceptional layout and is seriously improving with the new head greenkeeper. I could likely get you a good deal on referral here.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Merrist Wood is very good at moment for sure as I am a member there. If you joined Sunbury just down the road from you you can play Pyford or Hampton court for free anyway.

Other one down A3 is Drift which is very good

batchworth

Visit site
I am a member at Batchworth Park Golf Club, and we do have a few members who live in or near Ashford, but not sure what the journeys are like. I did play Merrist Wood last weekend, as it is part of our group, and have to say that I really enjoyed it. Lovely large, cosy and friendly clubhouse. I have played Pyford a few times, sometimes enjoyed it and other times didn't but think that was based more of my results rather than the course itself. I think the amount of water at Pyford would annoy me if playing every week and cost me fortune in balls !