New membership in Surrey / Hampshire / Berkshire border (Camberley) - any ideas?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You trumped me there. All I can offer is a small practice putting green and a net beside the 10th should you start there. We do of course have one of the best halfway huts, which is much more useful to me than any practice facility !!! ?

Have you sampled the pleasures of our lovely new (couple of years old) 'half-way' hut by the 12th tee? It's grand.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some of your green fees quoted for tracks don't actually seem that bad for the quality of course.

I'm not far behind these figures at all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not tried your two thirds hut, as it was closed when I last played.:eek::D

We haven't quite fully sorted out our manning of the hut...and it can often be closed during the week unless there is a society or something on. though there was 50/50 split in whether we should have it - it was funded by a member's loan and got built. And in fact most of us will now stop a short-while - and we have great soup this time of year.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want quality all year round golf in this area, then the only option is one of the sand-based (heathland) courses. ....

Those that are on 'Bagshot Clay' (like Windlesham) are likely to be challnging for greenkeepers to maintain for 'proper' golf in winter.

Ouch! Bagshot Beds (actually the geologists have changed names of the formations containing the Bagshot Sand, Bracklesham Beds and Barton Sands in the past decade :( ) are sands predominantly. However the overall sequence of deposits that form the ground that the classic Surrey / Berks great golf courses are built on, are a series of lagoonal and backwater deposits, interdigitated, such that you get patches of predominantly well drained Sandy acidic soils, with occasional very localised areas of clay, which means a complex arrangement of spring lines, and creating the perfect environment for heather and birch and similar to thrive.

Windlesham GC sits (conveniently) on the (newly named) Windlesham Formation, which includes sands, clays and silts), but so does Swinley Forest and half of The Berkshire (much of the rest is on the newly named Camberley Sand). There is however some peat deposits towards the bottom of the hill at windlesham which might hold up groundwater flow, especially as it is a quite open course with not so many trees like Swinley and Berkshire.

Wentworth almost totally on the Bagshot SAND, with some river gravels in various places.
Sunningdale, like Berkshire, half and half on Windlesham and Camberley, and possibly why people consider Berkshire and Sunningdale to be “better golf ground” than Wentworth, not least because they represent the mixed soil environment whereas Wentworth is more sandy overall.

West Hill substantially on the Windlesham formation :) Woking is on the Bagshot SANDS (like Wentworth) and Worplesdon on both Windlesham Formation and Camberley Sand (like the Berkshire and Sunningdale).

Blackmoor (another of our favourites) is a completely different geological age entirely
Downshire (!) southern extents on the (Wentworth) Camberley Sands, but the north half on the very sticky London Clay :(
East Berks totally on Windlesham formation
Ascot mainly Camberley Sand so should drain pretty well
Mill Ride on the sticky wet London Clay :(

So, pick your golf course membership by reading a geological map and memoir :)

Sorry for the opportunity for thread drift :)