Golf near weybridge

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m looking to book a round of golf in mid-February around the weybridge area, willing to spend around £100 and looking for a course that doesn’t suffer too much in the winter and ideally doesn’t use winter tees, greens or fairway mats. I would be going straight to gatwick airport afterwards and would like to make this journe as painless as possible.

worplesdon looks the most promising but also looking at west hill, woking or fox hills, any feedback on these courses or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Any ideas for a good fine dining restaurant in the area would also be helpful.

evemccc

Visit site
I’m looking to book a round of golf in mid-February around the weybridge area, willing to spend around £100 and looking for a course that doesn’t suffer too much in the winter and ideally doesn’t use winter tees, greens or fairway mats. I would be going straight to gatwick airport afterwards and would like to make this journe as painless as possible.

worplesdon looks the most promising but also looking at west hill, woking or fox hills, any feedback on these courses or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Any ideas for a good fine dining restaurant in the area would also be helpful.

I’ve only played one in that area and there are plenty of others on here who’ll have more in-depth knowledge… The only one I’ve played is West Hill, and I thought the course superb. Very friendly club and great welcome - I’d certainly return and recommend it to any golfer

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’d play any of Woking, Worlplesdon or West Hill before I looked at Fox Hills. The winter rate should be sub £100.

I like all three, personally liked Woking the most, very close between the other two, Worplesdon probably edges it over West Hill.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’d play any of Woking, Worlplesdon or West Hill before I looked at Fox Hills. The winter rate should be sub £100.

Not played Woking but certainly agree with the rest of that sentiment.

I like all three, personally liked Woking the most, very close between the other two, Worplesdon probably edges it over West Hill.

Any one of the three W's by reputation; as I said I've not played Woking but of the other two, West Hill comfortably beats Worplesdon for me. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Foxhills is definitely prone to being soggy. Save for a couple of holes, it's clay based and sticky when damp. May have dried out a bit in recent years, as some areas were opened up, but /i doubt that would have solved the underlying 'on clay' issue.
Not played Woking, but the other 2 'Ws' are excellent.
There's also St Georges Hill, all 3 9s are great, with the Red and Green being the traditional 18. Burhill also has 2 18s and West Byfleet is a very good course nearby too, though I have no idea wrt sogginess.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played there but used to live opposite West Byfleet looks good.
Reasonably close to the M25 or A3/M25 for link to Gatwick

sunshine

Visit site
looking for a course that doesn’t suffer too much in the winter and ideally doesn’t use winter tees, greens or fairway mats.

I'd never heard of fairway mats until I joined this forum, think it's mainly a Scottish thing. The courses already recommended above are all sandy heathland courses: stick to them and you won't find winter greens or tees.