Another Spain golf query

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a planner and are already looking at sorting my brother in law's 50th and will be going away in May 2025. Been scanning the threads which are really helpful but wondered if I could get opinions on a few places from those who know.

Flights. Anybody any idea when the May 25 flights will be released? We're pretty relaxed on dates so hopefully book cheap flights and work around them.

Been looking online and it looks like the prices, like everything, have increased. What sort of prices you paying for 4 nights, 3 rounds and B&B now? Few of the package companies are coming in around £550+. Tranfers on top etc.

Love Tenerife but I think the flights take us out of budget. Girona/Costa Brava looks decent and close to the airport, Malaga/Estepona also looks really nice. Really not interested in places like Benidorm but would like a resort close by with a few bars and restaurants without being too much (without sounding old).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
On the Costa Del Sol, I think Benalmadina would be my choice for a resort that isn't too crazy but still has a great selection of bars, restaurants and decent nightlife - downside is, most of the courses are 30 minutes or so away.

Costa Blanca, look at the Cabo Roig / La Zenia / Villamartin areas, you have 3 great courses (Las Ramblas, Villamartin, Las Colinas) within 5 minutes, and plenty more no more than 30 minutes away. La Finca resort has a fantastic hotel, but it's a little isolated, but if you are in the area I'd recommend playing the course there.

Always suggest this, but if you do fly into Alicante, El Plantio is really handy for a round either on the 1st or last day - and it's always good value.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a planner and are already looking at sorting my brother in law's 50th and will be going away in May 2025. Been scanning the threads which are really helpful but wondered if I could get opinions on a few places from those who know.

Flights. Anybody any idea when the May 25 flights will be released? We're pretty relaxed on dates so hopefully book cheap flights and work around them.

Been looking online and it looks like the prices, like everything, have increased. What sort of prices you paying for 4 nights, 3 rounds and B&B now? Few of the package companies are coming in around £550+. Tranfers on top etc.

Love Tenerife but I think the flights take us out of budget. Girona/Costa Brava looks decent and close to the airport, Malaga/Estepona also looks really nice. Really not interested in places like Benidorm but would like a resort close by with a few bars and restaurants without being too much (without sounding old).
It depends on where you are flying from but I don't think you will many flight schedules 'til late 2024.

simsini

Visit site
Stay in Girona. PGA Catalunya is one of the best golf complexes in the whole country. The stadium course is one of the best courses I've ever played.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
On the Costa Del Sol, I think Benalmadina would be my choice for a resort that isn't too crazy but still has a great selection of bars, restaurants and decent nightlife - downside is, most of the courses are 30 minutes or so away.

Costa Blanca, look at the Cabo Roig / La Zenia / Villamartin areas, you have 3 great courses (Las Ramblas, Villamartin, Las Colinas) within 5 minutes, and plenty more no more than 30 minutes away. La Finca resort has a fantastic hotel, but it's a little isolated, but if you are in the area I'd recommend playing the course there.

Always suggest this, but if you do fly into Alicante, El Plantio is really handy for a round either on the 1st or last day - and it's always good value.

Do you know of any decent car hire places operating from Alicante airport that might be cheaper than hertz etc

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

My partners parents have a place near Los Alcazaeres about an hour down from Alicante airport their neighbours run a golf venture that I’ve linked there … that hotel looks decent with a few bars not far off and the courses included are not too bad either decent price as well. They can sort transfers on top

Bobthesock

Visit site
Do you know of any decent car hire places operating from Alicante airport that might be cheaper than hertz etc
Don't be put off by bad reviews for the likes of goldcar. Just make sure you take pictures of every little scratch and you will be fine. Had loads of deals for 20-30 euros a week and never had a problem.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

This is a great question tbh. There are loads of small independent car hire companies dotted around that will rent you a car for 20 to 30 euros a day. The car's will be fairly old and tired, but that means you won't have to worry about getting stung for a minor scratch when you return it.

These companies are usually based well away from the airport but will come and meet and greet you, and hand the car over for around 30 euro's - often cheaper than a taxi into the area you may be staying.

Here's an example of one that was close to us, but there are loads of them - if you know the town or area you are heading to, it's worth getting on a Facebook forum and getting some recommendations..

oleinone

Visit site
You mention Costa Brava - here's my write up of a trip last October .https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/costa-brava.113325

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’ve booked our hotel and golf for the Marbella area (Malaga airport) for the end of April next year. Jet2 flights have been available for a few weeks, Ryanair should be available in the next few weeks. So it’s something like 8 months to a year prior that they come out.

At the minute the cheapest we can find is £270 return from Birmingham including the golf clubs through jet2. East mids similar price. Hopefully Ryanair will be a bit cheaper as we’ve always paid £170-220 previous years.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being a regular flyer to all of Spain I expect S. Tenerife will not be out of your budget. If you are considering around Girona consider a flight to Barcelona. Fast direct train service from Barcelona Sanz train station.Flight companies are very consistent with their schedules with the 2025 being similar to 2024. Therefore if a flight went on a Tuesday in 2023 likely the same in 24 and 25. Planning ahead you should have some idea of the schedules for 2024 now.

Jet2 is your airline from LBA but for more choice consider Manchester. Downside is it is a terrible experience. Jet 2 will be operating from Liverpool from 2024.

You are probably aware midweek in the middle of May is an ideal time, no school hols.