New membership in Surrey / Hampshire / Berkshire border (Camberley) - any ideas?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out of the courses mentioned - Hankley is lovely but Blackmoor wins for me , course is lovely , very playable , always seems great in the winter , a lot of work done on the clubhouse which looks great now and members really nice ?
You're just angling for a short walk at Bearwood next year aren't you....:unsure::ROFLMAO:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We're basically full at West Byfleet so depending on age the joining fee can be a bit steep but it can be spread over 5 years if needed

Full winter course with comps right thru the year plus no visitors in winter at peak times so always able to get a game

Blackmoor is definitely better though if its a similar distance. We're lucky to get there on for £15

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I notice Puttenham doesn't come up that much when Surrey is talked about - I really enjoyed playing there as a junior but that was 25 years ago! Is there a reason it doesn't get a lot of love? Membership fees don't seem too bad and iirc it's on sand so should drain well?
I've been on their website, very well priced, never heard much about it though!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

It's fine - though I've not played it much and not for some years now - some really nice holes and some great history in the land it's on - but last couple of holes along a busy road and you finish with a par 3 - and I'm never a great fan of that.

D

Deleted member 23270

They are currently offering 6 weeks unlimited play membership for £150 as a taster. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a fan of Puttenham, and it has some daft holes. Think tree has gone from middle of first fairway which improves the hole. Nice setting, but course not in class of some others mentioned on here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Quirky is a word I'd use for it.
Yes, the big tree has gone on the first but I think there's a small one taken its place...should be good for a year or two before it becomes a pain!

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Merrist Wood is suffering too with this weather. More worm casts than you will ever see anywhere.

Blackmoor for me the best but 30 minutes from the house and expensive

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Merrist Wood is suffering too with this weather. More worm casts than you will ever see anywhere.

Blackmoor for me the best but 30 minutes from the house and expensive
Not sure we are expensive compared to Surrey courses ? Annual sub this November was £1595, plus £75 bar levy.We have a joining fee, but if you go to one of our open days, and then join you get a good discount off the fee. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure we are expensive compared to Surrey courses ? Annual sub this November was £1595, plus £75 bar levy.We have a joining fee, but if you go to one of our open days, and then join you get a good discount off the fee. ?

You are a little cheaper than us. And I think we now have joining fee reinstated (maybe) - but if it is it can be spread over a number of years. I'll see your slightly cheaper subs and raise you our practice facilities...;)

But seriously - good clubs abound in the area. And Blackmoor is very nice indeed (it's about time I popped down and took you on @richart at your place, and we had a return at mine :) )

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of the courses mentioned - Hankley is lovely but Blackmoor wins for me , course is lovely , very playable , always seems great in the winter , a lot of work done on the clubhouse which looks great now and members really nice ?
Hankley is a considerably better golf course mate!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I notice Puttenham doesn't come up that much when Surrey is talked about - I really enjoyed playing there as a junior but that was 25 years ago! Is there a reason it doesn't get a lot of love? Membership fees don't seem too bad and iirc it's on sand so should drain well?
I had thought of adding it to the Blackmoor/Farnham post, but, from the distant memory of the 2 times I've played it, wasn't particularly enamoured with it. Drainage seemed fine (likely it's sand, but not certain), but a bit of a 'quirky' course, and that Par 3 finish (great hole elsewhere!) was a little disappointing (unlike our frightening Par 3 start!!).

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You are a little cheaper than us. And I think we now have joining fee reinstated (maybe) - but if it is it can be spread over a number of years. I'll see your slightly cheaper subs and raise you our practice facilities...;)

But seriously - good clubs abound in the area. And Blackmoor is very nice indeed (it's about time I popped down and took you on @richart at your place, and we had a return at mine :) )
I think our practice facilities are as good as yours Hugh. We have covered bays with mats, ball machine with decent balls, grass to hit off if you wish. Size wise not a lot in it. We also have a separate chipping, pitching area, with decent green, bunker etc. We have new three man net near the first tee. Your practice putting green might be a bit bigger !!

To be fair the practice facilities are a bit wasted on me, but other members seem to like them. We have spent a lot on the clubhouse as well, so if you haven’t played there for a couple of years you may not recognise !

You are on for a game any time. ?