Membership cost increase

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had our proposed subs through.

For reference, mine is the club who messed up the spending this year, meaning we all had to pay a £100 levy a few months ago.

Increasing from £1200 to £1475, 23%! Shocked to say the least. I expected an increase to maybe £1350, but this much will unfortunately mean I have to consider whether it’s value for money and whether I can justify it. Agm next Thursday should be interesting, I don’t know how this works, can the members vote against the increase?

Interestingly, the nearby club we seem to get compared to quite a lot, (and actually at the egm regarding the levy, our treasurer said our fee needs to be in line with theirs) have also announced their fees. They’ve gone up from £1470 to £1499.
Update on this, the agm has been postponed without reason until 28th March, the day before Easter weekend, and with renewals due on 1st April I’m not sure how they’ll have time to get the paperwork sent out once/if the proposed fee is voted in, get the responses back, fees paid and everything processed in time foe 1st April.

Is it normal for the agm to be so close to the end of the year?

Seems fishy to me. Speaking to a few members at the weekend, they’re in a big group and roughly 25% are leaving. Scale that up for the whole membership…

Maybe the club have got wind and are having a rethink.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Update on this, the agm has been postponed without reason until 28th March, the day before Easter weekend, and with renewals due on 1st April I’m not sure how they’ll have time to get the paperwork sent out once/if the proposed fee is voted in, get the responses back, fees paid and everything processed in time foe 1st April.

Is it normal for the agm to be so close to the end of the year?

Seems fishy to me. Speaking to a few members at the weekend, they’re in a big group and roughly 25% are leaving. Scale that up for the whole membership…

Maybe the club have got wind and are having a rethink.
Are you sure members need to vote on this at an AGM for it to be enacted. At my club member owned). it is a decision for the Board alone.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£50/4% for us so lower than most on here. All early payers get entered into a draw for free membership next year, £250 shop credit or £100 bar credit as the 3 prizes.

Hasn’t stopped people moaning about the closures over the winter though - as if we were the only course closed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just paid mine this afternoon - can’t say I didn't think a bit about it…but fortunate to be able to afford membership as it’s what I want…and, to a some extent, what I need as I don’t assess VfM in terms of number of rounds played…my membership is more than just rounds of golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just paid mine this afternoon - can’t say I didn't think a bit about it…but fortunate to be able to afford membership as it’s what I want…and, to a some extent, what I need as I don’t assess VfM in terms of number of rounds played…my membership is more than just rounds of golf.
Exactly this.
What would we do with ourselves if we didn’t play golf?
It’s good for your health physical and mental even when we play awful .

Mandofred

Visit site
A conversation with a guy I played with today. He thinks a lot of people might leave the club because of the approx 5-10% increase in fees. Purchase of the front 9 this year. The increase of golf maintanence....etc....I just don't get it. Do people understand the expenses have gone up.....a lot? 18 holes open at one of my clubs.....the other....closed. Guess which one I'm at next year.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I told a non golfing mate at work about how much I paid. His eyes nearly popped out of his head!!!! He knows I've not been able to play much of late so pointed this out. I responded that he was a Vale fan with a season ticket and he'd not been going of late. LOL

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I told a non golfing mate at work about how much I paid. His eyes nearly popped out of his head!!!! He knows I've not been able to play much of late so pointed this out. I responded that he was a Vale fan with a season ticket and he'd not been going of late. LOL
I'm not sure a Vale fan is in any place to lecture about wasting money 😂

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't get some people. Conversation with one of the guys I played with yesterday about next years fees. He was VERY unhappy and had voted no to the price increase of almost 10%....full membership went from £990 to £1090 (£1020 for me as a 66 year old fart). He was really mad because they evidently took away a slight discount for people who had been members for 10 years. I told him I didn't know ANY club they gave a discount for 10 years.....are there any and I just haven't noticed? With the cost of pretty well everything going up at the golf course PLUS the purchase of the front 9 from a local church......the increase was fine with me. The guy seemed to think a bunch of people might leave the club because of the increase....can't see it myself.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't get some people. Conversation with one of the guys I played with yesterday about next years fees. He was VERY unhappy and had voted no to the price increase of almost 10%....full membership went from £990 to £1090 (£1020 for me as a 66 year old fart). He was really mad because they evidently took away a slight discount for people who had been members for 10 years. I told him I didn't know ANY club they gave a discount for 10 years.....are there any and I just haven't noticed? With the cost of pretty well everything going up at the golf course PLUS the purchase of the front 9 from a local church......the increase was fine with me. The guy seemed to think a bunch of people might leave the club because of the increase....can't see it myself.
There are some about. Players near Bristol offer £100 loyalty discount after 6 years against their platinum and gold membership - Platinum currently £1548 Annually + £400 Joining Fee