Medal...I refused to sign his card.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robertson's laddie?

Right course of action.

But the Robertson thing was a bit more than a ball width was it not? This more like the Ballmark Kid I think?

But, it does emphasize how difficult it is to pull someone up. A different one for me recently. In our weekend swindle, on the temporary greens, putts "within the length of the metal of the putter" are concede as being holed on next putt. But only in the casual swindle. Was playing in a Pro-shop stableford comp, and a fellow competitor knocked it to about a foot - ie within "conceding length". He picked it up saying "that's in for 6 for 1". I say "err, you can't do that - it's a competition!" and leave it to him to do what's right (ie call it a zero point hole - due to the penalty that goes with moving a ball without marking it - or indeed a shed-load of other penalties). I say no more till the end when scores are being totted up. I say, "sorry but it's been bugging me all the way round - I think you need to sign for zero points at the 13th." "But it was practically in the hole" he says " we concede those". "Not in a competition" says I "everything has to be holed." We back and fro a bit then he walks away. And asks the question about holing out of someone in a different group - to be asked "Were you in the Pro-Shop? Yes? Then it had to go in..." He wa;lked off and didn't enter his card at all. The point being - although it was quite blatant, I nearly let it pass because I didn't want to make a fuss.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have played with a forum member, (mentioning no names), who repeatedly marked his ball incorrectly. The first time I played with him I didn't say anything at all as I didn't know him that well. The second time we played I had to mention it.
He was marking his ball to the right hand side, so as not to "disturb" it, but then replacing it in front of his marker. When I pointed out that this was incorrect, he replied that he thought that's how you did it. Only a small gain, and in the overall scheme of things not a biggie. But it grated.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is fairly common, and I think it is to do with giving the player a psychological "gain", even if it is only a fraction of an inch. It is like scoring a minor victory against the man.

Even multiple major winners are not immune. Mark O'Meara had a run in with Jarmo Sandelin at the 1997 Lancome over exactly the same issue. He earned the nickname Mark It Nearer as a result.

Any player who feels that a player is cheating (because that is what it is) should stand up for the field as the OIP did. If the Committee over rules, so be it.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
What a bad position to be in, totally got your back on this & good play on you. I don't understand why anyone would deliberately cheat. It's a shame the 16hcp would not back you up, but at least the right decision and result in the end.:thup:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played with a forum member, (mentioning no names), who repeatedly marked his ball incorrectly. The first time I played with him I didn't say anything at all as I didn't know him that well. The second time we played I had to mention it.
He was marking his ball to the right hand side, so as not to "disturb" it, but then replacing it in front of his marker. When I pointed out that this was incorrect, he replied that he thought that's how you did it. Only a small gain, and in the overall scheme of things not a biggie. But it grated.

Wasn't that what the saltman brother did? Marked it at 8 o'clock and replaced at 6 - stupid thing to do the gain isn't worth the risk/penalty!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well done Tommo but it must be hard to do.
I had suspicions at my last club about 1 guy who went on to be Captain. Whenever he went in the clag he always found his ball, sitting pretty. I thought I'd seen him drop another but couldn't be sure. And as you say, you have to be 100% sure....

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Well done Tommo but it must be hard to do.
I had suspicions at my last club about 1 guy who went on to be Captain. Whenever he went in the clag he always found his ball, sitting pretty. I thought I'd seen him drop another but couldn't be sure. And as you say, you have to be 100% sure....

I had that once. Guy hits this hook into the rough, i know the course well. We couldnt find the ball then he finds it about 50 yards further on. I thought thats not right. Got to the green and he was playing a different ball to what he said when we first started. I told him you should have said you changed your ball. He wasn't happy and said he had another one in his pocket.....I hate that......Anyway, he started playing real bad, blamed it on me and walked in saying he was going to report me. I could only laugh and he didnt report me.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This guy marked at 3 o'clock and replaced at 6.

man, that must have been a looooonngggg round ;)

Tommo, well done for having the cahonies to say something.

It's all in the delivery and if communicated the right way there should be no confrontation, sometimes its actually done out of ignorance (not in this case as a 5 h/capper should know the basic rules)

I have to admit not pulling some people up for a blatant rule break during a competition, the only reason being, they were so far over par and playing so badly it wasnt worth the grief to turn his 108 into a 110:smirk: I did however in both cases point it out after the round so they didnt make the same mistake again.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Worst thing I ever saw was on the 1st day of a week-end break with some mates. Blatant cheating. Happened on the 3rd hole, I pointed it out to the other two mates I was playing with, they said "don't say anything it will create an atmosphere and ruin the rest of the week-end"....so I stupidly bit my tongue. 3 years down the line it still annoys me thinking about it and I wish I'd said something now. Don't play with the particular guy anymore. But he's taken enough money off of us over the years to leave a nasty taste.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You did the right thing,whats the point in playing if you cant adhere to the rules.I called a two shot penalty on an American guy I was playing with once,he hit he's drive into the long rough and decided to improve he's lie by bending the blades of grass around the ball!The guy was pretty annoyed about this but like I say whats the point in the game without rules.