Medal...I refused to sign his card.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you have been very brave Tommo, I have to say I'm not sure I could bring myself to mention it. You were right no doubt but I do not have your conviction.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Think you handled it pretty well, those who have played with him before and not called him should hang their heads in shame as it sounds like not the first time he's done this.

Thats what a few of the top players said to me when it got about.

Trust me guys.....how often do you pay full attention to what way players mark and replace their ball. The 16HC guy had no clue.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tough one Tommo, and well done.

Did the same to a guy last year. Word got round and lo and behold, he's been pulled a couple of times since. A bit like Singh, once a cheat always a cheat??

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots of things go through your mind and it's not easy.

Agree. It's easy for people to say "pull them up" but not a pleasant situation to be in.

You handled it well by the way. As you say I find it odd the chap didn't DQ themselves, may have come across better.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think cheat is a strong word to use. Misguided perhaps or even stupid. Probably to him a coins length isn't his idea of cheating. We all know it is offside however and what Tommo has done will probably cure him as it seems it is the first time he has been pulled up on it. No doubt he has learned his lesson. I do dislike situations like this especially when it gets all around the club that the guy is a cheat. I have aligned myself firmly behind Tommo. He was in the right to mention it. It is a shame though that he didn't learn his lesson and that he tried it on after the game and made it worse for himself. I can see one of two things happening. 1. He will take it on the chin, apologise to Tommo for his stupidity and try to wait for the dust to settle and get on with it. 2. He will look to leave and play elsewhere to save face. A shame either way.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You also put yourself in a difficult situation with the 16 handicapper.
If you had signed his card [5 handicapper] the 16 handicapper would have known that you had signed the card of someone who had cheated.

Well done, difficult situation.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done. Brave and necessary for the good of the game and the integrity of the competition. :thup:

When someone is sneaking marginal advantages like that it must be difficult to believe your eyes and trust what you have seen. Your playing partner didn't help. It's a big thing calling a player for cheating so you HAD to be sure before you confronted him.

A very sad story though. Do people really need to win that much? I'd rather be able to sleep at night.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done Tommo. I think you handled it well. Seems strange no one has ever pulled him before as it's obvious he is doing it every time. Does it matter in the scheme of things? Probably not but we have rules and if we are going to call penalties on ourself then we need to pull those that transgress. Not a nice situation but done as well as it could have been

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well Done Tommo21.

Not sure how I would have handled it, but will be sure to follow your example if I ever find myself in this situation.

The big question for me is - did you post a decent score? or was your game put off totally?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Top man!!! Big respect to you mate, great decision and great way to deal with it,

personally I wouldn't have told him on the 9th of wherever either and give him the chance to ease his way out of it. If that's what he's doing on the green when both playing partners are there, what's he getting up to when he hits it in the trees and no-one can see him!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised how this bloke reacted. You gave him a couple of chances to take the 'honourable' way out and DQ but he kept up he pretence. Not good and then to raise it again afterwards. Suspect most of the club will know about his actions now

Big thumbs up for the way you dealt with it, would love to think that I would have the same conviction but I would not put money on it. Certainly will be paying more attention to my playing partners in the future.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a similar situation 2 years ago playing in a comp in Ireland, one of the guys i was playing with noticed it, the guy was in a few bunkers and was grounding his club and taking practise swings, i wasn't paying much attention to it, but it happened again so both us watched him take 2 practise swings then ground his club, we told him you can't do that . He couldn't see what he's done wrong he'd no clue about rules or scoring .

He hit one out of bounds and only classed it as one shot,he walked of with 38 pts but the guy marking his card wouldn't sign it either and told him why ,he stormed of in the huff and never turned up the next day.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Just to answer anyone who thinks I should have pulled him earlier, a valid point.

However, in this case, when I was first absolutely sure of what he was doing wrong. It became clear he was doing it all the time…it wasn’t just a case of a two shot penalty for replacing the ball wrongly on one specific hole.

I had noticed he was replacing the ball with a gap early on, but I didn’t see him mark it as he could have marked it with the gap. Another hole and I might have seen him mark it, but not seen him replace it….if you know what I mean.

Once I was sure, it all fell into place about the earlier holes. He was just doing the same thing all the time but I wasn’t in the position to see him all the time. Not easy playing your own game knowing something is wrong.