Medal...I refused to sign his card.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Some interesting stuff, but I get this growing feeling that the closer you get to the hole the less importance some of you put on the rules.

300 yard drive= 1 shot, one inch putt= 1 shot :rolleyes:

To the many that supported me...many thanks.:)

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
plain and simple, you did the right thing. leather wedge or one inch. its cheating! he knew what he was at.

i think you were also right to wait until you knew he was doing it. :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I suppose it's just someone's interpretation of what they view as cheating, and what they view as no great shakes. Personally, as someone who is not a member of a club and does not play in comps I can honestly say that if someone was gaining 20 mm then I would not be that bothered. As it does not matter to me, realistically it will save them 1 or 2 shots a round at most and they are only cheating themselves etc etc.

I am in no way condoning it, but some people may not be that bothered by it and as the saying goes, worse things happen at sea.

I think that you miss the point. If you are playing in a stroke play competition it isn't a matter of whether it bothers you. You are refereeing for the rest of the field who may lose out because someone infringes the rules and benefits from that breach. It is a responsibility of each competitor to do this honestly, properly and fairly even if the rule breach is not a deliberate attempt to cheat.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think that you miss the point. If you are playing in a stroke play competition it isn't a matter of whether it bothers you. You are refereeing for the rest of the field who may lose out because someone infringes the rules and benefits from that breach. It is a responsibility of each competitor to do this honestly, properly and fairly even if the rule breach is not a deliberate attempt to cheat.

Fair point and I will take that on the chin. As I said I am not a member and don't play comps so I probably have a slightly different outlook to this than most.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All very good.....and you have given me the reason why I had to make sure. He marks it...no gap, he replaces it 20mm gap. Give me a break, Ive played golf for 40 years now and I've never called this on anyone.

The brave would have pulled him as soon as they saw it...good. Others would not say anything...not good but fair enough. Others stand back and think what they would have done on this forum. I'm off the play a medal...the real winner won.

Tommo, I dont need to give you a break. The last sentence of my post shows that. This is a forum, I was offering an alternative possibility for discussion is all. There is no reason for you to take offence (if you have that is).

As someone else said, we are policing for the whole field so have to be vigilant.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Haven't even bothered to read through all pages but I can't believe you would wimp out until you were off the course and then grow balls when you didn't have to face him again...

Lets be honest... you should have mentioned it at the time - You were in the wrong by knowing full well the game wasn't being played correctly... surely?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
having read the op i find myself asking a few questions,why didn't the question about marking the ball not asked when first spotted,if he marked his ball the same way every time DID he think it was on the same spot or as alluded he was blatantly cheating in full view of his opponents on 18 occasions,as the third member of the group did not seem to have a problem or did not think it was as bad as reported i honestly think without having photographic evidence of the ball placing it is very hard to make a call,but knowing that you thought he was cheating or MADE A MISTAKE and then knowing this continued with the game and only deciding to act when the game was over in my opinion is wrong and not in the spirit of the game,and were is the proof that the chap was deliberately cheating.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
This thread is getting ridiculous how can anyone say cheating is ok and how can anyone say that the guy who spots the cheat is in the wrong I really think this should be locked up

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Tommo, I dont need to give you a break. The last sentence of my post shows that. This is a forum, I was offering an alternative possibility for discussion is all. There is no reason for you to take offence (if you have that is).

As someone else said, we are policing for the whole field so have to be vigilant.

I didnt take offence and you dont need to give me a break. Asking and getting...two different things. No worries.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread is getting ridiculous how can anyone say cheating is ok and how can anyone say that the guy who spots the cheat is in the wrong I really think this should be locked up
the point i was making was did the chap realise his ball was slightly in front of his original position,if he did not how can he be accused of cheating,to be called for cheating he would have to know he was breaking the rules.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Haven't even bothered to read through all pages but I can't believe you would wimp out until you were off the course and then grow balls when you didn't have to face him again...

Lets be honest... you should have mentioned it at the time - You were in the wrong by knowing full well the game wasn't being played correctly... surely?

Wimp out and grow balls...thats is so funny.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The guys cheated, plain & simple. Tommo handled it with stones, be it at the end or halfway through the round fair play to him. Mod free weekend & the Wind up merchants have appeared.
The other week we watched a guy move his ball from the rough and onto the fairway then proceeded to mark his drive with the longest drive peg and stick his name on sheet, we never went running over the fairway confronting the guy mid round a member of our group waited until the end of the round and spoke to him and reported him to comp secretary.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For all those that say 20mm isn't a great deal, why bother? Would you really give someone 180mm advantage on the greens? How many putts that might have pulled up just short actually ended up dropping in, especially if he putts like me, i.e. I like them dropping so there's less chance of one off line spinning out?

It's splitting hairs to say he should have been pulled up on this hole or that hole. I've been there, and it was 8 holes before I spotted it and it was worse than the guy in the OP, and I took a few holes to confirm it before I stepped in.

As Chrisd says, you have a duty to every other golfer in the comp, and if you are willing to knowingly waive a rule you should disqualify yourself as per the rules.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many different ways are some folk going to dissect this???? And then try and justify it??? It doesn't matter if he moved it 20mm or 2 feet, its the principle. it wasn't replaced-repetitively, where it should have been, and that's cheating no matter which way you want to look at it, whether it would bother you enough to report it or not, or whether you wouldn't say anything to the cheat then tell all your mates about it afterwards.

Golf needs more members like tommo, well done mate!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For all those that say 20mm isn't a great deal, why bother? Would you really give someone 180mm advantage on the greens? How many putts that might have pulled up just short actually ended up dropping in, especially if he putts like me, i.e. I like them dropping so there's less chance of one off line spinning out?

It's splitting hairs to say he should have been pulled up on this hole or that hole. I've been there, and it was 8 holes before I spotted it and it was worse than the guy in the OP, and I took a few holes to confirm it before I stepped in.

As Chrisd says, you have a duty to every other golfer in the comp, and if you are willing to knowingly waive a rule you should disqualify yourself as per the rules.

Read the OP troll... he spotted it early and didn't say anything until the end.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Read the OP troll... he spotted it early and didn't say anything until the end.

hahahahahaha....maybe you didn't read the OP properly. Tommo had got to the 16th before his suspicions had really got anywhere near being firmed up. But hey, if you want to twist the OP to support you belief rather than the facts...:ears:

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure who you are calling a troll, but hey it's a mod free weekend....would you do that if the mods weren't away eating their Easter eggs?

His picture you goon... its one of those hairy trolls... haha why would a mod make a difference to anything I have said?

Why is it only the lil boys club on here are allowed to speak up when they don't agree with something?

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
hahahahahaha....maybe you didn't read the OP properly. Tommo had got to the 16th before his suspicions had really got anywhere near being firmed up. But hey, if you want to twist the OP to support you belief rather than the facts...:ears:

So do your golf courses finish on the 16th in Hobbitland?