Masters 2023

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Because he is always bigged up as the favourite and then doesn't even contend, which is a massive let-down. If he was actually in the running and narrowly beaten then that would be what you said. The Masters is in his head now.

Such is golf. Funny game. He's still managed 16 top 10 finishes (8 top fives) in his last 32 major starts since his last win. Not bad really.

Edit: also 7 top 10 Masters finishes in the last 10 starts.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
0 wins tho for a player of his calibre 🤷‍♂️

I think you're overestimating his ability to win majors based on the great purple patch he had when he won 4 in 5 years. As a group they were statistical outliers, not the norm. Golf shows with only the odd exception that winning regularly is really hard. Winning in majors even harder.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Such is golf. Funny game. He's still managed 16 top 10 finishes (8 top fives) in his last 32 major starts since his last win. Not bad really.

Edit: also 7 top 10 Masters finishes in the last 10 starts.
That just makes it all the weirder / more frustrating.
"Rory didn't contend again"
'Where did he come?’
"Oh, 3rd." 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Visit site
Can't wait for this to start, staying up late as a youngster to watch Sandy Lyle win it got me and my friends out playing on golf courses. Hoping for a European to win their first major as the Ryder Cup draws nearer. Fleetwood or Hatton ideally.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think you're overestimating his ability to win majors based on the great purple patch he had when he won 4 in 5 years. As a group they were statistical outliers, not the norm. Golf shows with only the odd exception that winning regularly is really hard. Winning in majors even harder.
For a player as good as Rory he should have won more majors since his last.
That’s not even debatable imo.

D

Deleted member 29109

For a player as good as Rory he should have won more majors since his last.
That’s not even debatable imo.
I’m sure he’d agree that he’s underachieved in the Majors. He’s easily good enough that he should finish with 10.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If Rory McIlroy wins the Masters he will have won all four Majors, which only five people on the history of the game have achieved (and some of them when the opposition was arguably less intense). At present he ranks alongside the men who have won three of the four, including the likes of Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson and Phil Mickelson. All of those gentlemen are among golf's greatest ever performers. As is Rory.

D

Deleted member 15344

My first memory of the Master was watching it upstairs with my dad as Nicklaus won in 86 , can’t really remember too much of it , then in 88 watching Lyle with that shot from the bunker.

Then there was the playoff with Hoch and Faldo and I was about to turn off when Hoch at that 2ft putt to win and his missed , and then Faldo drained that monster on 11

It’s not my favourite golf comp - there is so much I don’t like about it but it’s the start of golf season for me.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Winners of Masters since 2006 with World Ranking and finishing position in the last 3 tournaments before Masters. Note how many players who won had at least one top 20 finish in those three weeks.

Incidentally, only 5 winners since 1998 have gone on to win after missing a cut in one of those last three events (O'Meara, Olazabal, Weir, Immelman and Cabrera) and only two since 2006. FWIW McIlroy has missed one cut in the last three events.

Screenshot_20230403-201504_Sheets.jpg