Masters 2023

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Winners of Masters since 2006 with World Ranking and finishing position in the last 3 tournaments before Masters. Note how many players who won had at least one top 20 finish in those three weeks.

Incidentally, only 5 winners since 1998 have gone on to win after missing a cut in one of those last three events (O'Meara, Olazabal, Weir, Immelman and Cabrera) and only two since 2006. FWIW McIlroy has missed one cut in the last three events.

View attachment 47210
Apart from Danny Willett, who, lets face it, is a bit of a Paul Lawrie winner, all those winners have either an R, an O, another R, or a Y, in their names.

D

Deleted member 29109

Most past winners have had a higher ball flight.

If it rains and plays long, it will favour the longer players.

I find it difficult to see anyone outside the top 3 winning.

D

Deleted member 1147

That’s just the way sports goes , Mickleson could never win the US Open , Faldo couldn’t win the US Open - sometimes some players despite how good they are just don’t win

Rory will be favourite or one of them because he is one of the best players in the sport , if he plays well then it’s tough to see anyone beating him

He isn’t going to win every year and he may end up not winning but it won’t be down to a lack of bottle
You missed golf’s major’s biggest underachiever.
Norman only won the Open a couple of times. A man who won as much as him, was world no 1 for years, and was regularly in the lead or contention.
If anything is bottling a tournament, that is!

AJNairn

Visit site
I'm looking forward to this - it signifies the start of the proper golf season! The LIV v PGAT issue adds another element of interest.

Jason.H

Visit site
You missed golf’s major’s biggest underachiever.
Norman only won the Open a couple of times. A man who won as much as him, was world no 1 for years, and was regularly in the lead or contention.
If anything is bottling a tournament, that is!

I can still remember watching him crumble as Faldo got the better of him at the Masters.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a player as good as Rory he should have won more majors since his last.
That’s not even debatable imo.

So should:

Spieth
Monty
DJ
Norman
Westwood
Donald
Nicklaus (highest number of runner up)
Keopka
Duval
Couples

I could go on, but for some reason it’s only ever McIlroy who gets singled out. Golf is hard and only 1 person can win.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking forward to this - it signifies the start of the proper golf season! The LIV v PGAT issue adds another element of interest.
I hope it doesn't end up being about that, but I don't think the LIV guys will do very well. I reckon playing in the happy-go-lucky friendly money-for-nothing tour will have dulled their competitive edge and we won't see many of them near the top of the leaderboard. That is my prediction anyway. Would be funny if a LIV players win it however, just to see the look on people's faces at the presentation - and the history books in future when his name is glossed over. :LOL: