2024 PGA Championship

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s my bets on for the PGA.
Really can’t see past Brooks after his performance last week, although Scottie will be hard to beat, with the season he is having.
Have done Cameron Smith and Joaquin Niemann each way as well!!
I’ve read that Talor Gooch has an invite 👀😂😂

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That’s my bets on for the PGA.
Really can’t see past Brooks after his performance last week, although Scottie will be hard to beat, with the season he is having.
Have done Cameron Smith and Joaquin Niemann each way as well!!
I’ve read that Talor Gooch has an invite 👀😂😂

Gooch and Puig - neither will win of course - but it's refreshing to see them in there.

Scheffler will be a new dad by the time we get to Valhalla - could throw a spanner in his works, or it might just give him the extra drive to win.

Brooks, Rahm and Smith from the LIV guys and Scottie would be my number one pick from the rest of the field and I'd probably add Wyndham in there but hard to pick from the rest - Rory maybe??

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Gooch and Puig - neither will win of course - but it's refreshing to see them in there.

Scheffler will be a new dad by the time we get to Valhalla - could throw a spanner in his works, or it might just give him the extra drive to win.

Brooks, Rahm and Smith from the LIV guys and Scottie would be my number one pick from the rest of the field and I'd probably add Wyndham in there but hard to pick from the rest - Rory maybe??
Forgot Scottie will be a Dad if he's not already, thought she was due during the Masters, Could have an effect on him, but really doubt it as he seems like the model professional!!
Looks like accuracy of the tee will be crucial.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A major is a major is a major. It always will be.
It did once stand higher, when it was clearly the professional counter pole to the US Amateur.

But The Masters drank its milkshake.
The Arnie Charge, TV, and the manufactured history and reverence narrative that Augusta wrote for itself as Paradise on Earth/Forbidden City/Bobby Jones Holy Land, just trumped it.

But its still a major. Nobody is trading in theirs for a Honda Classic or a Waste.

We gaze at stars, etched forever in the galaxy of golfing immortals like Micheel, Toms, Walker, Brooks, and Yang because the USPGA is a major.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Can never seem to get hyped for this one. Other than the body that runs it, it just seems a lot like any other elevated event
It isnt though. Because its a major. It simple is. And that unquesionably does elevate it above elevated events.
Put it this way : Does Koepka feel like he has only two major wins ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can never seem to get hyped for this one. Other than the body that runs it, it just seems a lot like any other elevated event

As we move through the changes that golf is now facing, it really needs to adapt to accommodate itself as the major that represents the PGA globally - and travel. It would possibly become the bigget one of them all if it did.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Ditto. To be fair, different Majors, and at different venues, just appear to carry more weight. There’s almost an unwritten hierarchy amongst the Majors. And that in itself depends on which side of the pond you live. Some Americans rate their Open as higher than The Open.

I accept that it carries the Major label but I would ask why? Why isn’t the PGA at Wentworth a Major. Once upon a time the Australian Open was considered a premier event yet for the last 10 years or so it just appears as almost a foot note. And then there’s the TPC that occasionally gets mentioned as the 5th Major.

Yes the USPGA carries the label but amongst the tournaments I’ll watch, it’s an also ran along with any regular event.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It isnt though. Because its a major. It simple is. And that unquesionably does elevate it above elevated events.
Put it this way : Does Koepka feel like he has only two major wins ?

Your right it is a Major and that's why I said "it seems a lot like" rather than saying 'its not a Major' kinda no point answering your BK question because we agree its a Major
But its that 'Major' tag that seems to be the sole differentiator between the PGA Championship and one of the dozen or so $20million PGAT signature events

Who's responsible for me having the perception? (does it even matter how I perceive it, maybe it doesn't. I'm just a viewer after all)

It likely that the split nature of professional golf in the US is the cause, where one body is the players themselves and and other body is the tours for those players. Same but different

Two hugely influential bodies in the same territory (with very similar names even) both putting on events. One is a Major event, one isn't

edit: To further muddy it up they (the US) also have the USGA running 'its' Major in the same territory

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
had completely forgot it was even coming up.. it really isnt on the radar

its a shame its not this weekend when im nights so american time viewing having on in background not so bad

however the following weekend? doubt ill get much viewing in

might try and pencil in the sunday as im off the monday

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brooks does love a PGA Championship and he's just won his last event, so I guess he'll be the obvious favourite to finish 2nd behind Scottie.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Key differences, unlike an elevated event it moves locations (unlike the Masters). Agree though can move to courses used for other tournaments.
In the last few years, it includes a few players banned from the Elevated events, and always some players from other tours (Asian/DPWT)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does seem weird that the PGA Championship of all things is giving out free invites to LIV players. Maybe a much-needed olive branch?

The Lion

Visit site
A major is a major is a major. It always will be.
It did once stand higher, when it was clearly the professional counter pole to the US Amateur.

But The Masters drank its milkshake.
The Arnie Charge, TV, and the manufactured history and reverence narrative that Augusta wrote for itself as Paradise on Earth/Forbidden City/Bobby Jones Holy Land, just trumped it.

But its still a major. Nobody is trading in theirs for a Honda Classic or a Waste.

We gaze at stars, etched forever in the galaxy of golfing immortals like Micheel, Toms, Walker, Brooks, and Yang because the USPGA is a major.
Toms was a top player in his time, so shouldn’t be on that list. Jimmy Walker was also a really good player in his prime too. Swap them with Beem instead!