Masters 2023

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
If Lyle wasn't there, or Larry Mize for that matter, then they could invite two others who might actually compete.

Having past champions play for ever more is either part if the charm or an embarrassment/weakness of the tournament. Take your pick as to your view.
Literally the complete worst take on this.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
...there are some big (current) names packing their bags tonight 😉
That's always the case in golf. I'm pretty sure that neither Lyle or Mize have competed in any serious form in a pro tournament for many years though. Some of the those going home tonight may well have done mind.

As will be pointed out at some stage by someone missing the whole point, some will love this some will not. It is a thing though 🤷‍♂️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How can anyone take issue with watching Fred Couples? What an absolute boss.

Faldo’s been great, not sure i’ve always liked him too much, but his insight has been fantastic and he’s been on top form.

Can we take issue with him not shouting Fore yesterday when he practically shanked one into the crowd?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Outplaying Rory on the first two days of the Masters 🤔
Most of the field do that as standard, it’s only his yearly final round blitz that gets him up the leaderboard 🤣
If only there was a 3 day tournament in which he didn't face the cut ...

That would really suit his game

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It makes no difference to my life whether or not they're there. They've earnt their right to play there, it costs no one a place, c'est la vie.
That's fine. Personally, I'm not interested in watching exhibition stuff. They are either there to compete and win or they shouldn't be there. It's a pro tournament.

As before, for some that's part of the charm of The Masters. It isn't for me. Different takes...............

D

Deleted member 21445

Sandy Lyle at +19 makes a mockery of former champions getting lifetime exemptions. What's the point of him being there more than 30 shots off the lead? It's a bit like Martina Navratilova and John McEnroe getting an invite to play at Wimbledon just because they won it many years ago when they were good.

If they cost players a place that would be different but they don't.

Past champions is one part of the many masters traditions that makes it special and different to any other golf tournament in the world.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Also when tiger is say 55 plus it will be great to see him randomly appear in the masters
I get the feeling that he won't bother with that like Lyle and Mize. As soon as he thinks he hasn't got a chance of winning, I think he'll stop playing. He looks to me like he is actually in pain when he walks around :(

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Bravo to those who back Rory no matter what, but I am now more convinced than ever that he won't win a green jacket. And quite possibly, that he won't win another major...

I really hope I'm wrong as I like the guy, but he's sort of turned into Colin Montgomerie without us realising it - a great player outside of the majors, but he just can't do it at one of the big 4 events. It's been 9 years since he last did it and soon enough it'll probably be 10, which is just madness for how good he is.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bravo to those who back Rory no matter what, but I am now more convinced than ever that he won't win a green jacket. And quite possibly, that he won't win another major...

I really hope I'm wrong as I like the guy, but he's sort of turned into Colin Montgomerie without us realising it - a great player outside of the majors, but he just can't do it at one of the big 4 events. It's been 9 years since he last did it and soon enough it'll probably be 10, which is just madness for how good he is.

Focusing too much on his self imposed fight with Liv and doing walking interviews in majors.

Would you see prime tiger doing any of that?

Jason.H

Visit site
Maybe there is too much added pressure on McIlroy from the PGA. Either way he chooses to do that.
McIlroy aside the weather forecast looks like rain all day at Augusta. Hopefully they will be donning waterproofs and putting on a show if the sub air can cope.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to Sandy Lyle coming out for 1 or 2 putts 🤣😂
No doubt he’ll be getting a great reception.
My mate will be hoping he comes back as he drew him in the club sweepstakes. £20 for the worst score each day. He’s already got £20 from Thursdays round.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Unlike the Koepka rule breach, which the Augusta Committee chose to overlook, no mercy was shown to the three trees which did not perform as required during the second round yesterday. All three were summarily dismembered, cut up by chainsaw, removed from the course, and all visible evidence of their prior existence eradicated. The Masters has high standards for the course, and justice for any body on the property not performing their role to perfection during the tournament week, is quick and brutal. Reports indicate no legal representation, or due process, was offered the trees.