Masters 2023

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wyndham Clark has no professional victories, and a best finish of tied 75th in Majors. I'm struggling to understand how he can be thought of as the 24th best player in the world, or that the Masters is diminished by him not being involved.

wjemather

Visit site
By the measure of the “OFFICIAL” Golf World Rankings that all the majors and comps use to measure who enter into their majors

So which top players are missing 🤷‍♂️
OWGR is the measure that doesn't rank Dustin Johnson as a top-65 player, or Jason Day as a top-30 player, but does rank Billy Horschel as a top-25 player. Seems reliable (see earlier post for further critique).

But that isn't actually relevant to your nonsense claim about "99.9% of the best golfers in the world right now", which doesn't even stack up against the OWGR with Aaron Wise's withdrawal.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OWGR is the measure that doesn't rank Dustin Johnson as a top-65 player, or Jason Day as a top-30 player, but does rank Billy Horschel as a top-25 player. Seems reliable.

yet you think Wyndham Clarks ranking on the other is reliable lol

Even Wyndham Clark doesnt think hes the 24th best golfer in th world, nor do his mum and dad

D

Deleted member 15344

OWGR is the measure that doesn't rank Dustin Johnson as a top-65 player, or Jason Day as a top-30 player, but does rank Billy Horschel as a top-25 player. Seems reliable.

Seems very reliable to me 🤷‍♂️

Day has a current resurgence of form , Horschel has shown better form of the consistent period that fulfills the official rankings

Johnson is rated against the events he plays in that is valid for ranking points

D

Deleted member 25172

We need the objective and correct percentage of top players in the field this week - NOW! It's important!

D

Deleted member 25172

100% of the top 40 or 98% of the Worlds top 50 according to the OWGR

have no idea on the alternative lists some prefer to use though
Appreciated. I can now move on with my life. We all need to stay vigilant when the likes of @Liverpoolphil come and spread blatant LIES such as 99.9% of the top players are in the field. 😎

Barking_Mad

Visit site
OWGR is the measure that doesn't rank Dustin Johnson as a top-65 player, or Jason Day as a top-30 player, but does rank Billy Horschel as a top-25 player. Seems reliable (see earlier post for further critique).

But that isn't actually relevant to your nonsense claim about "99.9% of the best golfers in the world right now", which doesn't even stack up against the OWGR with Aaron Wise's withdrawal.

Depending on what you subjectively value as being important then there's issues with all of them. Personally I think the OWGR overweights the value of historical performances. Im not sure where the cut off should be, but 2 years(?) seems a little long in my book. On the other hand you dont want the rankings just to be a form guide, which I think DataGolf appears to do with some players.

Im not sure how you accurately rank Johnson in a 3 round no cut 50 strong field. That's a tricky one.

Day suffered badly with form, but he's gone from 104th on the 22nd January to 35th just 6 events later on OWGR. Datagolf had him inside the top 100 at the point where he'd missed 14 cuts in 39 events and just 4 top ten finishes. Instinctually, that seems wrong to me.

Horshel has been poor of late, but only last year he had a win, a 2nd place and 5 more top ten finishes. That shouldnt entirely be undone by 4 missed cuts in 8 events. DataGolf has him 77th which seems harsh to me, espcially when Stephan Jaeger is ranked 66th with just one top 10 finish in his last 25 events including 7 missed cuts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

I mean, there would have to be 999 of the world's top 1000 players there for 99.9% to even be possible. :LOL:
That’s what I’m saying - blatant lies as it’s not even technically possible!!!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
That’s what I’m saying - blatant lies as it’s not even technically possible!!!
The thrust of the message stands though. The worlds best golfers are there. Nobody standout is missing. The strength of the field is as good as it can possibly be.
Whether its taken from a rankings over shorter period, longer period, when the qualification deadline is, different ranking methods, etc doesnt make a material difference. They can all be debated. But whether a golfer on one system rank 56 isnt there and one ranked 76th is, doesnt change the picture.
The field is not just 99.9%, but 100% the worlds best golfers.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Masters Fun Fact #1

Only twice in the past 24 years has a player at the top of the leaderboard after the 1st Round gone on to win. Curiously both times they went wire-to-wire: Dustin Johnson (2020) and Trevor Immelman (2008).

D

Deleted member 25172

The thrust of the message stands though. The worlds best golfers are there. Nobody standout is missing. The strength of the field is as good as it can possibly be.
Whether its taken from a rankings over shorter period, longer period, when the qualification deadline is, different ranking methods, etc doesnt make a material difference. They can all be debated. But whether a golfer on one system rank 56 isnt there and one ranked 76th is, doesnt change the picture.
The field is not just 99.9%, but 100% the worlds best golfers.
I’ll take learnings from this to be clearer when I’m being sarcastic in the future. :)

Visit site
I do love the honorary starter tradition. I’d also love to see where the drives end up (not the point I know!)

Bets on Burns, Theegala and Fitzpatrick.
Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson in the pro shop sweepstake 😪