Masters 2023

sunshine

Visit site
Cabrera is in jail.
I know. Many organisations would have made a big deal about not inviting him, great virtue signalling opportunity.

But the Masters organisers have just remained silent, no need for any fuss. Alternatively, maybe they did invite him, and don’t consider domestic abuse as a barrier to entry 🤷‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not really, he's probably a 1/3 poke to finish top 10 on current and previous form around Augusta. You will be getting 6/5 for the same bet.

Ok you wont get rich off small stakes but there is value in mo opinion.
This is basically what I meant. I'm on Bet365, he was 7/1, the each way is 8 places but 1/5th of the odds so not worth it at all. I only put 2 or 3 quid on each golfer generally so I look for 30/1 or higher for each ways.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Usual suspects to win and do well. I quite fancy Cantlay at 20/1 for the win as a decent bet (if betting is your thing!).

Top 20 finish - Tom Hoge at 11/4.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Put small wagers on Scottie finishing top 10, then Jason Day, Will Zalatoris, Patrick Cantlay, John Rahm, and Cam Smith all E/W for a bit of fun.
Won't get rich but won't be poor either. Got a feeling none of these are making the cut now 🤣.

D

Deleted member 31467

Has anyone else seen on the Masters website the predicted score for each player in Rd1? If not, go to tee times then click on a player, scroll down and it shows the hole by hole prediction. Patrick Reed HIO on 16!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
By what measure? Beyond the top-20 in the world the field gets pretty thin - by DataGolf rankings, there are just 42 of the top 50.
I'd imagine that is always the way due to how the Masters works. It will always be the weakest field of the 4 majors but it doesn't make this year worse than any other.

wjemather

Visit site
I'd imagine that is always the way due to how the Masters works. It will always be the weakest field of the 4 majors but it doesn't make this year worse than any other.
I agree, The Masters always has a weak field compared to the other majors - and at least half a dozen PGA Tour events are stronger - but that's the nature of being a mid-sized field invitational with a dozen or so amateurs and ex-champions who have little chance of making the cut.
I was just curious where Phil got his "99.9% of the best golfers in the world right now" from - to me, that seems like a fantasy figure when looking at the field for any Masters Tournament, let alone this year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, The Masters always has a weak field compared to the other majors - and at least half a dozen PGA Tour events are stronger - but that's the nature of being a mid-sized field invitational.
I was just curious where Phil got his "99.9% of the best golfers in the world right now" from - to me, that seems like a fantasy figure when looking at the field for any Masters Tournament, let alone this year.
I think it was more in reply to a post about this years Masters been the weakest in memory. I think it is as strong or as weak as any Masters field. Golf is in a good place right now, some strong players. Scheffler and Rahm are very strong, we don't quite know about Cam Smith but he could join those two. Then the players next up, McIlroy, Thomas, Speith, Morikawa etc can all turn it on on their day. It isn't a poor group of players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it was more in reply to a post about this years Masters been the weakest in memory. I think it is as strong or as weak as any Masters field. Golf is in a good place right now, some strong players. Scheffler and Rahm are very strong, we don't quite know about Cam Smith but he could join those two. Then the players next up, McIlroy, Thomas, Speith, Morikawa etc can all turn it on on their day. It isn't a poor group of players.
Indeed. Doon's post was a complete fabrication. The field isn't weaker than any other year. Casey, Fowler and Simpson are probably the biggest names missing out - and arguably Leishman. Others are missing because they're past it, pretty much.

wjemather

Visit site
who are the 8 in the top 50 world rankings not playing?

Aaron Wise at 46 I see, who are the other 7?
My mistake, it's 9 of the top-50 in the DataGolf rankings who are missing: Wyndham Cark, Paul Casey, Taylor Montgomery, Matt Kuchar, Rickie Fowler, Charles Howell III, Sam Ryder, Denny McCarthy, J.J. Spaun.

Aaron Wise isn't in the top-50.

wjemather

Visit site
Why are you using that top 50 not the OWGR one?
Several reasons. Firstly DataGolf is a better measure of who are the best players "right now" (which is relevant to Phil's claim) - OWGR is a tapered two year rolling average that enables players to maintain erroneously high rankings for an extended period. Secondly, DataGolf has a broader scope compared to OWGR. Thirdly, OWGR is skewed by some very bizarre calculations and points allocations that do not accurately represent relative performances (e.g. awarding more points for a distant last place in a very small field in the US than top 5 in a big field in Asia/Japan/Australia/South Africa/Europe/etc.).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Several reasons. Firstly DataGolf is a better measure of who are the best players "right now" (which is relevant to Phil's claim) - OWGR is a tapered two year rolling average that enables players to maintain erroneously high rankings for an extended period. Secondly, DataGolf has a broader scope compared to OWGR. Thirdly, OWGR is skewed by some very bizarre calculations and points allocations that do not accurately represent relative performances (e.g. awarding more points for a distant last place in a very small field in the US than top 5 in a big field in Asia/Japan/Australia/South Africa/Europe/etc.).
All well and good but since the Masters would use the OWGR, surely that makes it the only relevant one?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Several reasons. Firstly DataGolf is a better measure of who are the best players "right now" (which is relevant to Phil's claim) - OWGR is a tapered two year rolling average. Secondly, DataGolf has a broader scope compared to OWGR. Thirdly, OWGR is skewed by some very bizarre calculations and points allocations that do not accurately represent relative performances (e.g. awarding more points for a distant last place in a very small field in the US than top 5 in a big field in Asia/Japan/Australia/South Africa/Europe/etc.).

Didnt realise golf had turned into boxing with different ranking lists lol

Seems pretty subjective that its better or is that definitive?

So the highest ranked on their list that is missing is Wyndham Clark. World ranked 24 they say. Never won on tour, 1 top 3 and 13 top 10 finishes in his career, nothing higher than 10th in his last 10 starts and missed 2 of the last 3 cuts and a highest major finish of T75th. Yet that ranks him higher than the likes of Matsuyama. Lowry, Fleetwood and about 50 other players with better records than him

D

Deleted member 15344

By what measure? Beyond the top-20 in the world the field gets pretty thin - by DataGolf rankings, there are just 42 41 of the top 50.

By the measure of the “OFFICIAL” Golf World Rankings that all the majors and comps use to measure who enter into their majors

So which top players are missing 🤷‍♂️