Mark Crossfield - Is he all that?

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well it doesn't matter what we think, he's earning a very good wage doing a job we would love to do and I say fair play to him 👍

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really like his videos, I watch the instruction ones mostly as I'm not really in the market yet for new clubs. On saying that when I was looking at hybrids at Xmas I did watch the RBZ review. I like his approach and can understand mostly the point he is getting across. I paid for the iPhone app as a little cost for everything in one place. I think he has already started branching out as there are only so many stop slicing, over the top videos you can do. The comedy videos are becoming more regular, he is also doing a day out at the players club in Bristol. Tuition in the morning and a round of golf etc.

If you like him great lots of free advice and you can send him your swing vid and get free tips etc.

If you don't you don't watch him. Everyone has an opinion and will like one way of instruction instead of another.

That said nothing really beats seeing a pro in the flesh, if I was in his part of the country I'd pay him a visit.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Consistency. Ah yes, doing something wrong is OK so long as you do it wrong the same way every time.

It is hilarious to read that people believe Crossfield is fighting a valiant battle attacking dodgy marketing.

Crossfield is practising dodgy marketing of one product - himself.

Strange view Ethan, looks like you a hater of him as much as you think he is of TM :whistle:

"doing something wrong is OK so long as you do it wrong the same way every time."

This was a reference to the point made by one of his followers that he does things with consistency. My point which seems to have evaded most people, is that consistency is only a good thing if you perform the correct experiment/test in the first place. In technical language consistency is better called repeatability, but this is no good if the validity, i.e the meaningfulness of the test is lacking or unproven. In this case, he claimed to be hitting the shots with the same swing (how do we know that - the fact they produce the same swing speed is not enough) and he did so with crappy range balls on a freezing night. The results of that test are so flawed as to be utterly worthless.

And I say that as someone who has been a Mizuno fan longer than Crossfield, not a TM fan at all, and has no notion of ever playing the Rocketballz irons. But a flawed experiment is a flawed experiment.

Crossfield is also a Mizuno fitter, and lo and behold he is subtly plugging the Mizzy, yet according to many here HE is the objective non-biased one!

This concludes my participation in this thread!

Not sure why the conspiracy theory, he isnt trying to coerce you into buying his recommendations from his shop, why do you analyze to such a sceintific level. I think he is just using a space that no one else occupies and so far I cant think of anyone who does a better job??

Maybe you can post some other pros who are similar yet more 'righteous' that we can watch?

Not necessarily cos I reckon I make up 99% of those viewings!

I don't get it, he makes loads of top notch quality videos with his own views on clubs etc, various free hints tips and lessons. He never says that the views expressed are anything other than his own, everyone who watches a clip has a brain and can turn the clip off if they dont like him and still he has detractors ! I have rarely met a golf pro who isn't good at promoting himself !

I wouldn't buy a club or anything just because Mark says its good but I would certainly check out his review before hand.

What you said Chris, I always thought you had good, well based, sound opinions :whoo:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure he has ever professed to the tests being "scientific" apart form the use of Trackman on occasions. He says in most videos that the balls are rubbish and not a true comparison. In my opinion it is an honest review, or an online clinic in the same way as thousands of other pros put out into the ether. He has worked hard to build a following and market himself to make a few quid and fair play to him.

Not a total love in. I wanted to go to his day at the Players in Bristol but baulked at the price. That aside I like the guy and what he's trying to do. I agree that a mag (GM?) could do worse than tie him in for reviews etc.

T

thecraw

"doing something wrong is OK so long as you do it wrong the same way every time."

This was a reference to the point made by one of his followers that he does things with consistency. My point which seems to have evaded most people, is that consistency is only a good thing if you perform the correct experiment/test in the first place. In technical language consistency is better called repeatability, but this is no good if the validity, i.e the meaningfulness of the test is lacking or unproven. In this case, he claimed to be hitting the shots with the same swing (how do we know that - the fact they produce the same swing speed is not enough) and he did so with crappy range balls on a freezing night. The results of that test are so flawed as to be utterly worthless.

And I say that as someone who has been a Mizuno fan longer than Crossfield, not a TM fan at all, and has no notion of ever playing the Rocketballz irons. But a flawed experiment is a flawed experiment.

Crossfield is also a Mizuno fitter, and lo and behold he is subtly plugging the Mizzy, yet according to many here HE is the objective non-biased one!

Therefore your Titleist fitting was flawed.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
He gets the thumbs up from me.

When I started to play golf I watched many video's on YouTube. Marks were the 1st I came across that we're easy to understand, laymans terms if you want. Stuck with him ever since.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think he is superb.
Golf is a extremely hard game to learn & I think it is great that people like Mark who take the time & trouble to put together a interesting, well thought out lesson, video it & upload it should be applauded for their efforts.

We can't all afford lessons with a Pro, his videos have been a massive help to me, if he creates a following for himself & earns a few quid out of it, then fair play to him, we all have to earn a living.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

i think he is non biased he does sell rocketbladez in his shop ......?

http://www.4golfonline.com/irons/taylormade-irons/taylormade-rocketbladez-irons.html

also i think some people are confused he is not anti taylormade just anti taylormade marketing hype

a couple of pro taylormade reviews he has done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7NlJTq3muA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J01cDN6FPgk

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think he is superb.
We can't all afford lessons with a Pro, his videos have been a massive help to me,

Great point. Yes the best way to improve is get lessons from a pro who can analyse your personal swing. And the best way to test clubs is to hit them all yourself. But back in planet real world this is difficult to do both financially and time wise for a lot of people. So easy to follow videos can be a great help.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As someone returning to the game on a very tight budget, people like Mark on youtube are a godsend. I do agree that there is no subsitute for a lesson where a pro can find fixes for YOUR swing, not some anonymous individual, but there are many tips and techniques that Mark covers that have been a help to me, I particularly like his short game stuff.

Big thumbs up for me here - nice work Mark !

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So easy to follow videos can be a great help.

Not for or against MC as i dont know anything bout they guy cept what i read on here , only video i watched was the take off of the nike ad ..
Can i just ask tho , im sure there are hundreds of "easy to follow" videos on the internet & im sure some are brilliant & some are total rubbish , how does some one starting out in golf differentiate [sp] between them ..?

I admit i dont watch any instruction videos & i know nothing about the technical side of golf , but surely if your a golfer & have a problem you know you want solved & you WANT to get better it would be better to pass up on one green fee or couple of comp fees & get a lesson to sort it ?

What i will say tho of any pro that gives up free time to give free tips or advice or their opinion on equipment is fair play to them , because for the few that are willing to give up time there are thousands that wont ..

I can watch MC video reviews & tips but because of geography i will never be in a position to purchase lessons or equipment from him so therefore i find him unselfish of his time & knowledge & whether you want to follow it or not it needs to be applauded

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Can i just ask tho , im sure there are hundreds of "easy to follow" videos on the internet & im sure some are brilliant & some are total rubbish , how does some one starting out in golf differentiate [sp] between them ..?

I admit i dont watch any instruction videos & i know nothing about the technical side of golf , but surely if your a golfer & have a problem you know you want solved & you WANT to get better it would be better to pass up on one green fee or couple of comp fees & get a lesson to sort it ?

Well usually the cream rises to the top. So look on You Tube who has a lot of visits to their pages. Or go on a friendly golf forum and ask some of the more knowledgeable members . Or even try this forum (be dum tish).

And yes getting a lesson to sort things is good and will always have its place. But it's 2013, the way people learn anything has changed, and in the modern world of t'internet and people expecting information at the touch of a button there is a definite need for what he does. Especially for young people who, unlike most of us dinosaurs on here, have grown up with this way of learning.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me

I think you are going in waaaaaaaaay to deep on his stuff. Just take it for what it is - free advice, impartial or otherwise, flawed or otherwise.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite like him to be honest. I doubt that there is some subtle underlying conspiracy involved in his videos. He actually just tells us pretty much what we already know (Most Irons are decent, some feel better than others, TM Marketing is overly aggressive nonsense.) His instructional videos are a decent view for anyone struggling with a common fault.

He has rather cannily (or fortunately) built himself a decent reputation that he is now converting into a revenue stream, as every one of us here would do if we had the chance. There are plenty of others on Youtube if MC's style doesn't suit. Or, you could go and see a Pro if you have time/cash. You can make your own mind up...

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you are going in waaaaaaaaay to deep on his stuff. Just take it for what it is - free advice, impartial or otherwise, flawed or otherwise.

Bingo :) What he does isn't "wrong" just perhaps less controlled than experiments in the medical profession (the differences are justified!)

Re him being pro Mizuno, I was searching for reviews on the new Mizuno driver last night and watched his amongst others, was pretty much anything but pro-Mizuno.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer,

How much was it out of interest? Saw his trailers saying more info to follow but never saw any. It's a bit too far for me anyway but it certainly got my interest.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes.
I saw a trailer advertising his golf day at the Players, but I can't find any details on it.
I live not far away from the Players GC & would be interested to know more details on this day.