Mark Crossfield - Is he all that?

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just thought I'd garner opinion really, only because I've seen his name on these boards almost daily without ever actually watching anything he's reviewed or taught on YouTube.

Today I took the plunge to see what he's all about after he came up on another thread.

So I'll go first, seems to me he gets a bit of a love in, in so much that some hang off his every word or review. I've only really seen one person mention his name negatively. I saw 7 or 8 videos of his of which only 3 were instructional so I'd say based on what I watched:

His teaching isn't for me as I am a convert to rotary swing but I can see how some will benefit from his advice but really isn't much different if at all different from what's in most monthly publications in print form.

Reviews: I'm not really sold on them, his review of the 3bays was not to bad and he did recommend it when he compared stats to trackman. However his club reviews really weren't for me from what I saw he's not a big TM fan but other than that he doesn't seem to favour any specific brand. I'm just not really convinced in the way he puts his views over or in the testing really.

So for me I'm going to give his videos a miss from now on but I can see why some like him but he's not for me.

Now this is where I run and hide ready to be shot down for being negative. But over to you all for your say

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE HIM? HE IS GOD!!!!!

Ahem... I mean, that's fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I find him quite interesting because he tends to try to get you thinking about your game rather than giving a one-size-fits-all tip.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I really like his videos but would always listen to my pros advice over his videos which can be easily misunderstood without 121 hands on instruction.

But a massive thumbs up from me 👍

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I enjoy watching his video's which I'm subscribed to!

I don't rush out and buy anything off the back of them but I do find him and his opinions interesting.

Thumbs up for me :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think for a teaching Pro on a range in Exeter he has marketed himself well. No one is going to please everyone, he has a view and opinions that we can take or leave, I like much of what he says. He has created some apps where people can send in videos of their swings and he will give advice. Not sure if what the cost of this advice is though.

If I lived i the area I would call in and have a chat with him and see what he offers.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Thumbs up from me, he seems to suggest that...

a) different brands of clubs are all pretty good and produce good clubs, its just really down to which brands values you identify with.

b) custom shafts make very little difference

c) its not really the equipment it's how you swing it

I like that way of thinking.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So for me I'm going to give his videos a miss from now on but I can see why some like him but he's not for me.

Hes not for you that's fair enough

For me i do like his reviews, hes not over complicated and just tells it as it is
I just feel he tries to keep it a level where all golfers can understand, High and low handicaps

If your looking for something really detailed its not for you but, i think he does OK with the reviews , and lessons

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hes not for you that's fair enough

For me i do like his reviews, hes not over complicated and just tells it as it is
I just feel he tries to keep it a level where all golfers can understand, High and low handicaps

If your looking for something really detailed its not for you but, i think he does OK with the reviews , and lessons

I agree!

I think that he is honestly giving an opinion and doesn't force that on anyone. His coaching tips are pretty standard fare and he puts them over really well. He has a better personality than most on utube and after watching a clip it's up to the viewer whether they accept what he says.

I am definitely a Crossfield watcher!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Reviews: I'm not really sold on them, his review of the 3bays was not to bad and he did recommend it when he compared stats to trackman. However his club reviews really weren't for me from what I saw he's not a big TM fan but other than that he doesn't seem to favour any specific brand. I'm just not really convinced in the way he puts his views over or in the testing really.

In the past he has been very positive about TM equipment, I think it's more the marketing claims that he is trying to expose/investigate. And (coming across as) not favouring any brand is another good thing.

I agree with Socket, he's done a great job of marketing himself and carving out a niche. And it's another source of information for us punters. Magazines, understandably, very rarely question companies marketing claims and every review is very positive. So for me another perspective on things from someone who looks like he know what he is talking about can't hurt.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
He's the only one thats doing it with consistency and across a wide variety of products. He’s clearly cut his own path and I’m surprised others are not trying to compete. Put at set of clubs into u tube and he’ll probably have reviewed it.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's the only one thats doing it with consistency and across a wide variety of products. He’s clearly cut his own path and I’m surprised other are not trying to compete. Put at set of clubs into u tube and he’ll probably have reviewed it.

Consistency. Ah yes, doing something wrong is OK so long as you do it wrong the same way every time.

It is hilarious to read that people believe Crossfield is fighting a valiant battle attacking dodgy marketing.

Crossfield is practising dodgy marketing of one product - himself.

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me, I like the way he comes across, haven't seen anyone else on YouTube do the same and I find the videos a good watch.

He must be doing something right with the amount of people that keep watching his videos.

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I quite like him , something to watch

Yeah he's marketing himself , so what ,that's what successful people do my friend

You seem to have a real personal aversion to the guy Ethan

Don't watchy if you don't a likely

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Consistency. Ah yes, doing something wrong is OK so long as you do it wrong the same way every time.

I still do not understand what, other than the fact he is not performing these tests to the standards that you would test a new cure for cancer in a laboratory, he is doing so wrong when he is testing clubs?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quite like him , something to watch

Yeah he's marketing himself , so what ,that's what successful people do my friend

You seem to have a real personal aversion to the guy Ethan

Don't watchy if you don't a likely

I don't have a personal aversion to him, and I even paid for his iPhone app, but then I started to spot what he was up to. So I no longer watch, except when one is highlighted here, but I do think it is important to point out when people are being misled.

If you don't see the irony as someone marketing themselves as an anti-marketing advocate, then that is fine.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've never really watched his video's per say.

Sure, I've seen the ones that pop up on here (JPX 825 review springs to mind), but , for some reason I cannot warm to the man.

Everytime I see a video review of his (not seen any instructional video) there always seems to be a hidden agenda. Maybe it's just how I preceive him, but that's how he comes across to me.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like his vids and watching him reminds me of wakaday with Timmy Mallett (swap golf club for large inflatable hammer and its deffo his long lost son ;) )

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just wish he'd stop saying "Let's get stuck in" before every review.........

Think of something else to say Man!

He gives his view on clubs, in a similar way that all reviews do. I can't say that I take that much notice because I know I'm going to get different results than him anyway..