Madeleine McCann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I found it quite worrying that people don't seem to think its a big deal to leave a 3yr old & her 2 younger siblings alone whilst you go out on the razz. No one that's commented on this thread as claimed to be perfect but come on for god sake. After watching last nights crime watch the only person I feel sorry for is Madeline.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
My parents live in the South of France and have a gite attached to their house which they rent out year round. Whenever we go over to visit and have a weeks holiday my Mum always asks us if we want to stay in the gite so it feels more like a holiday, we always say no as it would mean leaving the kids in there when they go to bed while we sit out on the patio with my parents, despite it only being less than 30 yards away it's still around the other side of the house, we just couldn't do that. I'm not saying I'm a better parent than the McCann's but I (We) would never in a million years do what they did that night, we'd either host the social gathering or not go. End of.

Some of you are right, they only have themselves to blame and although this might be a rather harsh way of looking at it, in some way it's true. I pray that one day Maddie is found, dead or alive. I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like to lose a kid, but then to go for 6/7 years not knowing if she is dead or alive must be harrowing, unfortunately I personally think her life was ended some time ago.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest about public money being spent on trying to find her, I'd rather it be spent on her thnn it being spent on some low life scumbag claiming benefits and spending it all on crack.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry if you don't like it. Your right to do so. Hate to see facts get in the way of your rant. It is simply the case that SS do not investigate every injured child. If you believe that they do, please provide evidence. Big brain not needed to know that, although some common sense would help.

By the way putting stuff in CAPITALS does not make a point any more meaningful.

Nowhere did I say I thought they did, I was pointing out the case os someone who is being questioned due to am accident that someone feels he could have avoided.
Doesnt matter whether I like it, he likes it or Worzel Gummige likes it, its happening to him so it isnt nonsense as you state. So let me think about those facts yiu seem to think are getting on the way, he went to hospital with his daughter, told them what happened and now Social Services are paying him a visit... yep, check, all facts present and correct.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Am I reading this correctly? The parents left their children alone... in another building... to have dinner with friends at a restaurant?
And the children were aged under 5?
And they did this on 6 (several) consecutive nights?

I wasn't previously aware of the bits in bold, so...

Why couldn't they have dinner in their apartment?
Why couldn't one parent stay with the children - as most caring parents do whenever such a situation arises?

This is not a 'small' mistake, that some seem to suggest, it is a HUGE mistake!
No one in their right mind can believe that it is safe to leave a child under 10 (let alone one under 5) alone for any appreciable length of time, even in their own home, whether asleep/in bed or not.

To suggest that Madeleine should have been safe is a delusion being touted by those who wish to minimise her parents' neglect.
No doubt, the parents are filled with regret over their actions, probably even more than just regret, but I think that the effort being put into this belated investigation could be better expended on other, more recent, cases about which there has been zero publicity.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing that they were in a resort in which you eat your dinner at one of the restaurants, and presumably that's what they were doing every night at the Tapas restaurant, not necessarily "out on the Razz". I presume also that the on site crèche was for babies or <2 yrs old or similar, and possibly why they couldn't put Maddie in there , so keep the kids together. I presume they made arrangements to be in the closest resort dinner-eating restaurant to their apartment.
I'm guessing that it was a norm in that resort, as in many resorts where baby listening type services are advertised, and which presumably many international parents take advantage of.
As one of the posters a few pages back mentioned, parents have been leaving their kids in bed in the holiday chalets /bungalows for ages, and holidays still advertise this.
Certainly doesn't make it a great idea however, and certainly after the Maddy case, I wouldn't do it even with my 10year old - she asked if she could do so when we were on holiday in a hotel in Spain this year and paranoid old me said no way.
I'm sitting on the fence here, and given the ages and hindsight, leaving them during dinner certainly was a crap decision, but I thought I'd throw a couple of other considerations is for everyone to rubbish, but which possibly go towards explaining some of their logic

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm guessing that they were in a resort in which you eat your dinner at one of the restaurants, and presumably that's what they were doing every night at the Tapas restaurant, not necessarily "out on the Razz". I presume also that the on site crèche was for babies or <2 yrs old or similar, and possibly why they couldn't put Maddie in there , so keep the kids together. I presume they made arrangements to be in the closest resort dinner-eating restaurant to their apartment.
I'm guessing that it was a norm in that resort, as in many resorts where baby listening type services are advertised, and which presumably many international parents take advantage of.
As one of the posters a few pages back mentioned, parents have been leaving their kids in bed in the holiday chalets /bungalows for ages, and holidays still advertise this.
Certainly doesn't make it a great idea however, and certainly after the Maddy case, I wouldn't do it even with my 10year old - she asked if she could do so when we were on holiday in a hotel in Spain this year and paranoid old me said no way.
I'm sitting on the fence here, and given the ages and hindsight, leaving them during dinner certainly was a crap decision, but I thought I'd throw a couple of other considerations is for everyone to rubbish, but which possibly go towards explaining some of their logic

I'd call out drinking with friends at 10pm on the razz. But at least they checked on them every 30mins :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 17920

I found it quite worrying that people don't seem to think its a big deal to leave a 3yr old & her 2 younger siblings alone whilst you go out on the razz. No one that's commented on this thread as claimed to be perfect but come on for god sake. After watching last nights crime watch the only person I feel sorry for is Madeline.
Well said, it's the girl that has lost the most!

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it an age dependent/cultural change, thing here. Remember:- (Butlins tannoy operator):- There is a baby crying in chalet 147 in blue camp. Where were them parents, probably in the French bar getting bevvied. It was seen as ok in the 50/60/70's. Just a thought.

It was also seen as OK to smack your child back then, do people still do that?

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another thing that i thought that was a little strange was that they said on the news today that the e-fits they showed last night for the first time they had 5 years ago but didn't think they were significant.

Surely any clue, evidence that leads to solving this is significant so why decide 5 years later it now is?

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're bang on Hogan.
I think that you are wrong on all counts.

1) I do not know numbers but I suspect that there are very few if any current missing young UK children for whom there is not an active 'hunt';
2) Even consideration of apportioning blame to the parents is heartless and lacking in humanity; to use that as a part-rationale for being 'fed-up' and that we shouldn't bother with the case any longer is frankly pretty disgraceful
3) By raising a 'value for public money' argument - well...

And after all - what does it matter to you...you have not lost your child - your arguments just reek of spitefulness I'm afraid - you won't like that being said but I am afraid it is true. You may try and dress it up as being 'pragmatic' but I'm afraid that doesn't wash with me. Happy to be shot down if others think I am way off beam.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Fortunately, you don't know what you'd do. Or what the McCann's were advised to do. Or we're you present at the process?

I know for a fact I wouldn't refuse to answer 48 questions that might help find my children.

If you truly believe I need to be in that situation to know, then more fool you.

I wouldn't refuse. I'd answer everything.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know for a fact I wouldn't refuse to answer 48 questions that might help find my children.

If you truly believe I need to be in that situation to know, then more fool you.

I wouldn't refuse. I'd answer everything.

And if the police had stopped looking for your child, named you the prime suspect and started trying to pin the blame on you.... Still answering everything?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
And if the police had stopped looking for your child, named you the prime suspect and started trying to pin the blame on you.... Still answering everything?

Yes. Absolutely.

What kind of sick mind thinks of trying to clear themselves before trying to find their child? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.