Advice appreciated

www.thesportingvoice.com
Hello everyone, signed up to the forum today and would like a bit of advice if possible.

I have been planning to get back into golf this year but wanted to set myself a challenge/goal/aim. With that in mind, I want to get myself down to a single digit handicap within say 2/3 years. Is this possible? If so, what advice would you give me? What would it take to reach a handicap of 9?

Now for the background to help you decide if it is possible:
I am 30 and generally in good shape. I live in Northern England so obviously the weather is not great all year round. I first picked up a club aged about 7 where I had lessons with my little 7 iron. I played quite a bit as a young child and then with high school and moving away that stopped a bit. Since school I have played on and off. Some summers I have maybe done 10-15 rounds, other years I haven't played at all. The last time I played a full 18 holes was almost 3 years ago. I have been to the driving range twice in 2017. I have never had an official handicap but I can tell you that I don't think I have ever shot lower than 100 (embarrassing I know!). I think maybe 102 was about my best score, although I could be mis-remembering and maybe I did shoot a 98/99 once but I honestly am not sure. I used to play a small course near me a bit (small 9 holer, par 28) and would usually get round in about 45.

Ability wise I am bad with my driver, I can put it about 250-260 but it doesn't often go straight. I am assuming some lessons here would be worth their weight in gold. My irons are much better, my 6-iron in particular I can reach 200 yards and hit it nice and straight more often than not. Although when Im shooting 100+ you can probably guess that I have enough shots that I scuff and they go about 30 yards. Putting wise I really hate those 3-5ft ones that you know you should make, confidence is probably my main issue with the short putts, I am scared to miss them. The really long ones there is no pressure and I can often get it pretty close.

When I play 18 holes I will always have the odd hole that I perhaps par or bogey but I equally have 1 or 2 holes in a round where I hit a 9 or 10!

In terms of equipment I have some Top-Flite Tour Oversize irons which are about 15 years old but have been well kept. I know technology has advanced alot since the early 2000's so not sure how much those clubs would potentially hold me back?

Basically I really enjoy golf, I have just not played as much as I would like and back when I was at University, cash wasn't exactly overflowing in my wallet. I am in a situation now where I can dedicate more time and money to improving my game and really want to improve and challenge myself to see how much I can improve. I was going to write a blog about my progress but I am not sure anyone would want to read that so I thought I would come here for advice and quietly go about trying to improve with a bit less pressure and hopefully reach a handicap of 9 in around 2 or 3 years from now.

Sorry for the long post! Advice is appreciated!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes it is absolutely doable, don't worry about the clubs initially and just go and see a pro to check up on basic fundamentals.

The best players in the world on perfect greens only make 75% of 5 footers, so give yourself some slack. Above all find somewhere you are happy to be for practice/playing.

Last edited:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with hosel fade yes you can get to single figures I have seen it done many times by new players. It will depend on a number of factors though but the way to start off is to have a lesson with a PGA pro to get the basics right first.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given you have the ability, from what you say, to hit a decent ball, it should definitely be possible.

I started somewhere around where you are about 5 or 6 years ago and got down to 12 in three years.

I didn't have time to play as much as I would have liked in that period (no more than once a week), but got to the range a lot to practice.

The thing that stopped me getting into single figures was that because most of my practice was at the range and I only played once a week at the most, my short game didn't develop quickly enough.

My order of priority of going through it again:

- practice with something that gives decent distance off the tee such that you always have a straight tee shot in the locker.

- short game - 120 yards and in.

Those are the keys for me. Keeping it in play off the tee and short game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At 30 I think it's doable, but unlikely in that time. It's definitely worth a crack but I wouldn't get too fixated on the numbers just enjoy the experience.

Please please do NOT do a blog!

Best of luck

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lessons, lots of disciplined practice and you never know. First thing to forget about is worrying about how far you can hit it. Solid technique, consistency and accuracy trump distance most of the time. (If only I could follow my own advice.. :) )

A pro once said to me "You're only as good as your worst hole". So eliminating those 9s and 10s saves a lot of shots. That said, everyone has a nightmare hole/round sometimes.

Good luck.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What do you need to do to get to single figures in three years.
1, if you have kids, sell them.
2, with the money made from selling kids, invest in good clubs which you are fitted for, once you have got to about hcap of 15.
3, if you have a wife, sell her, with the money buy some better clubs which will help you get to single figures.
4, practice practice practice. Lessons lessons lessons. It will take up an enormous amount of time, money and patience.
5, Join a club.
Glad to help and welcome to the forum 👍 Me man.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
definitely doable, I've done it and that was from never playing before and with no lessons.

But, i knew guy who started around the same time had lessons and though he struggled to make the quick inroads i did (24 to 12 in a few months) in the long run he came down to 4 in the time it took for me to get to 9. Had a lovely swing and practiced a lot. where as i had a terrible swing and a fair few faults that when you are off, kill your game (shermans ).

its not a happy ending for him though, he gave up after frustration of not being able to get lower than 4.

But if i were to start again now, i would go down the lessons route.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course you can do it, but it will take lots of patience and practice.
Always try to play with players who are better than you, don't get too bogged down with technicalities but aim for a repetitive swing.

I helped a late teen get from beginner to 8 within 18 months, he was a very natural sportsman.
He gave up a year later as he had stalled, very sad but it happens a lot.
Getting to 9 is relatively easy, 9-5 is quite hard, 5 to scratch very difficult.
Best of luck.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit of a pointless post really, if you enjoy the game by all means get out and start playing, join a club it adds to the enjoyment. As to how good a player you can be, it's a bit of a daft question as there are so many factors that come into it. I play alot off a 1 handicap but equally know people who play alot who can't get lower than 10 or 11. You don't really have to play that well to play off 9 you just have to some things to an ok standard, but i suppose you will have people saying different as everyone has different standards I suppose. As to how good you can be. If you enjoy the game, at this stage should you even care. Go out and play if you enjoy it, start worrying about stuff once you have actually joined a club and started playing a bit more.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a pointless post really, if you enjoy the game by all means get out and start playing, join a club it adds to the enjoyment. As to how good a player you can be, it's a bit of a daft question as there are so many factors that come into it. I play alot off a 1 handicap but equally know people who play alot who can't get lower than 10 or 11. You don't really have to play that well to play off 9 you just have to some things to an ok standard, but i suppose you will have people saying different as everyone has different standards I suppose. As to how good you can be. If you enjoy the game, at this stage should you even care. Go out and play if you enjoy it, start worrying about stuff once you have actually joined a club and started playing a bit more.

You are a breath of fresh to this forum mind. I'm sure all the new members feel welcome :rolleyes:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well is it not a pointless post, it's like asking how long is a piece of string. I'm simply making the point people play alot but reach certain levels they seem to stall at for one reason or another but they enjoy playing and that's why they play. If he enjoys the game, he should just play it instead of asking daft questions. It's not hard to play off 9 it would just take a bit of regular play and maybe an hour or 2 of practice every week and in theory it should take care of itself, go and play with some 9 handicaps and see how much vetted or worse they are than you, it's like me asking can I win the amateur championship in 3 years, of course but itl be hard going and nobody really cares about it except me lol

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I agree with this pretty much. I think golf is a hobby, and it is nice to set goals, but most of all, it has to be fun. When the fun stops, what next. To me, that is a big target that could get depressing very quickly when it doesnt happen.

www.thesportingvoice.com
Appreciate everyone's advice! I will absolutely look to get a lesson booked in with a pro to try and get rid of any bad habits early doors. I should be able to play a good few times a week too which will help.

With regards to it being a pointless post. I understand that no one can tell me what I can achieve on a forum, my post was more seeking advice on how I should go about getting off on the right foot early. I do intend to play more regardless but I find that I enjoy sport more when I have a goal or something to aim for and so I was asking if my idea of reaching a 9 handicap was realistic or if I am in dreamworld and should lower my expectations. I know that everyone is different but like I say, I was looking for advice around how to best improve.

Planning to go to the range tonight, hit a few balls and ask the pro about lessons.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Appreciate everyone's advice! I will absolutely look to get a lesson booked in with a pro to try and get rid of any bad habits early doors. I should be able to play a good few times a week too which will help.

With regards to it being a pointless post. I understand that no one can tell me what I can achieve on a forum, my post was more seeking advice on how I should go about getting off on the right foot early. I do intend to play more regardless but I find that I enjoy sport more when I have a goal or something to aim for and so I was asking if my idea of reaching a 9 handicap was realistic or if I am in dreamworld and should lower my expectations. I know that everyone is different but like I say, I was looking for advice around how to best improve.

Planning to go to the range tonight, hit a few balls and ask the pro about lessons.

Don't worry about it mate, some people on here are more helpful than others :thup: