Madeleine McCann

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, I read it all (nothing better to do with the rain outside) and found some of the points raised quite alarming if factual. Strip away the dressing and repetitiveness and their is a lot of specific details in their, especially regarding the dogs and the handlers statements, change of statement (checking kids) times, change of descriptions, not disclosing sightings for days, the immediate shout of abduction, leaving the twins in the room and going off to raise the alarm! and the lists go on....

I have an open mind but as you read into it, it really is quite disturbing

It has just took me well over an hour to read.
Very,very interesting.
It just gets me hoping that this new enquiry gets some answers quickly.
However in my heart of hearts im doubtful

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I get that it uses every little detail to point the finger firmly at them but are there not some valid points made in the article?

I've only read down to point 7 at the moment but unless someone turns around and says that this is all complete lies and none of it happened it does make for some potentially scary conclusion making.

I agree, I read it all (nothing better to do with the rain outside) and found some of the points raised quite alarming if factual. Strip away the dressing and repetitiveness and their is a lot of specific details in their, especially regarding the dogs and the handlers statements, change of statement (checking kids) times, change of descriptions, not disclosing sightings for days, the immediate shout of abduction, leaving the twins in the room and going off to raise the alarm! and the lists go on....

I have an open mind but as you read into it, it really is quite disturbing

I think the article undermines itself to some degree as it does, as Swinger says, use absolutely any little reason to get at the McCanns almost to the point of a witch-hunt; however it does if factually correct raise some very concerning points about the whole incident and the subsequent investigation.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re that linked article:

It's sensationalised scaremongering at it's best (worst). Not dissimilar from the sort of things being said about Christopher Jefferies over the murder of Jo Yates a few years ago - http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/jefferies2.png Picking apart 'facts' and focussing on certain points to paint a picture in the mind and force you into a conclusion.

Another example is the stuff with the bloke off corry a few weeks back. Without opening up a whole new thread about that, the papers focussed so much on the girl's accusation that he muffled her with a teddy that it was on at least two of the national front pages. According to the court of law, after a full trial, he was proven innocent - yet it's the only thing anyone (well, me at least) remembers about the case. If there'd been more focus on the fact that she'd been idolising a motivational speaker who had given a speech about how she was abused at a young age then public opinion may have been skewed the other way. Not saying they should have - it's a dangerous game to side with the adults in those sort of cases before the verdict - but was just an example.

I'm not saying the McCann's didn't do it, and I'm not saying they did - but that sort of scaremongering is the lowest form of 'journalism' and (I realised this is somewhat different and a bit OTT but ...) not a million miles away from the sort of literature extremists will give prospective converts to ensure they are fully focussed on those 5 or 6 points which may or may not be true. Just after reading that, a few of you guys seem ready to pick up your pitchforks.

I'm genuinely of the belief that none of us know what we'd have done in the same scenario. There's every chance I wouldn't have grabbed the kids as I ran to get help. There's every chance I would have said something in panic thinking it might help the investigation and then realise that it wasn't 100% correct so might have to clarify what I'd said. There's every chance I'd be scared witless in a foreign prison being accused of kidnapping my own daughter than I may not be at my most competent when under questioning for extended periods of time.

In related news, looks like we've crashed that guys site as it's exceeded its allowed bandwidth ...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Re that linked article:

It's sensationalised scaremongering at it's best (worst). Not dissimilar from the sort of things being said about Christopher Jefferies over the murder of Jo Yates a few years ago - http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/jefferies2.png Picking apart 'facts' and focussing on certain points to paint a picture in the mind and force you into a conclusion.

Another example is the stuff with the bloke off corry a few weeks back. Without opening up a whole new thread about that, the papers focussed so much on the girl's accusation that he muffled her with a teddy that it was on at least two of the national front pages. According to the court of law, after a full trial, he was proven innocent - yet it's the only thing anyone (well, me at least) remembers about the case. If there'd been more focus on the fact that she'd been idolising a motivational speaker who had given a speech about how she was abused at a young age then public opinion may have been skewed the other way. Not saying they should have - it's a dangerous game to side with the adults in those sort of cases before the verdict - but was just an example.

I'm not saying the McCann's didn't do it, and I'm not saying they did - but that sort of scaremongering is the lowest form of 'journalism' and (I realised this is somewhat different and a bit OTT but ...) not a million miles away from the sort of literature extremists will give prospective converts to ensure they are fully focussed on those 5 or 6 points which may or may not be true. Just after reading that, a few of you guys seem ready to pick up your pitchforks.

I'm genuinely of the belief that none of us know what we'd have done in the same scenario. There's every chance I wouldn't have grabbed the kids as I ran to get help. There's every chance I would have said something in panic thinking it might help the investigation and then realise that it wasn't 100% correct so might have to clarify what I'd said. There's every chance I'd be scared witless in a foreign prison being accused of kidnapping my own daughter than I may not be at my most competent when under questioning for extended periods of time.

In related news, looks like we've crashed that guys site as it's exceeded its allowed bandwidth ...

Bit harsh jimbob? Assuming I'm correct about the few you are referring to, I think all of those acknowledge that there may be flaws in it as an article, but that it does, if factually correct, raise some concerning points, not necessarily about the McCanns but also about the investigation itself.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit harsh jimbob? Assuming I'm correct about the few you are referring to, I think all of those acknowledge that there may be flaws in it as an article, but that it does, if factually correct, raise some concerning points, not necessarily about the McCanns but also about the investigation itself.

Perhaps - and I don't mean to speak on behalf of others, but have a strong loathing for those sorts of articles which almost disregard any sort of rational in favour of pushing and opinion / accusation. Pitchforks may have been a bit far ...

It really annoys me though. It's the equivalent of 'X' saying to a few other's in the golf club bar that 'Y' cheated somehow during a comp. After a while it sort of stops mattering whether or not you can prove it as everyone in the club has already formulated an opinion based on what 'X' has said.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
agreed! what a piece of sensationalist manipulative tripe....(some is completely different from all known reports).....T'interweb is full of such idiots, what was your thoughts on posting Dodger?

I have not got any to be honest but thought that I would put this article that I saw out their to accelerate this interesting debate.

Actually here are my thoughts on it.......

Nobody on here has a clue as to what really happened neither do the police either in Portugal or the UK.

The one thing that can be said for is that the McCann's know for certain what did not happen.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nobody on here has a clue as to what really happened neither do the police either in Portugal or the UK.

The one thing that can be said for is that the McCann's know for certain what did not happen.

Well said .. im all for debate and discussion , i have my own thoughts on the rights & wrongs of this case as much as any but only a handfull of people know what really happened that night .. and IMO only that handfull will ever know ..

massive part of me hope she was kidnapped to order for a family that really really wanted a daughter to love and cherish .. i couldn't bring myself to watch the programme the other night ..

One thing is for sure for me , what ever happened that night i dont think/ id be fairly certain the family didnd't intentionally set out to create the string of events that have ensued .. Hindsight is a great thing and if we all had a mulligan or two for some of the stuff we did, in hindsight id say some/most of us would do alot of things in our lives differently...

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well said .. im all for debate and discussion , i have my own thoughts on the rights & wrongs of this case as much as any but only a handfull of people know what really happened that night .. and IMO only that handfull will ever know ..

massive part of me hope she was kidnapped to order for a family that really really wanted a daughter to love and cherish .. i couldn't bring myself to watch the programme the other night ..

One thing is for sure for me , what ever happened that night i dont think/ id be fairly certain the family didnd't intentionally set out to create the string of events that have ensued .. Hindsight is a great thing and if we all had a mulligan or two for some of the stuff we did, in hindsight id say some/most of us would do alot of things in our lives differently...

Well said :thup:

Status
Not open for further replies.