Comfort or Risk?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Congratulations!

You're a similar age to me, IMO now is the absolute right time to take a 'risk' - even though yours doesn't seem much of one!

You've enough industry experience that if for whatever reason it doesn't work out you should easily find work quickly.

I made a similar career risk 9 months ago. I'd been in various large corporate environments for 10 years, 5 years in the most recent one and found myself coasting. I also saw good colleagues doing the same. They were shocked when I told them I was leaving.

I went for a more senior job, same industry but much smaller company (went from 50k employees to sub 200). Downside was removal of a lot of soft benefits - worse pension etc, but that was outweighed with a double money pay rise and the sense of a real challenge and growth potential with the business. All in the knowledge I could/can slip back into a safe corporate role if it doesn't work out.

9 months down the line and I'm learning so much by being more exposed to actual business decision makers both internally and externally on a daily basis (not middle management), and working with the largest clients in Europe in my industry. I'm loving it so far, and while Its probably another couple of years before I'll know if its been a complete success, I very much doubt I'll ever regret it.

Best of luck, sounds like a no brainer!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just caught up on this and chuffed to bits for you. When I first read it I thought it was a "happy problem". Might seem odd saying that but through my mining career my pit shut twice and I had to move or face redundandancy. I transferred twice and looked at it as a new opportunity to prove myself. Both times I replaced seasoned guys who were popular. After a month they were both forgotten. I got stuck in and made the job my own. In your position, I think it was win win.