Comfort or Risk?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I deliberated for about 6 months between the first offer to move out here and work and eventually deciding to go for it. Biggest work change I've ever made by far. Actually selling up everything as part of changing jobs, knowing that if things don't work out we're pretty well homeless and both starting from scratch again

Played the whole 'what if 10 years from now we do it/don't do it' scenario in our heads loads of time over those 6 months but the bottom line was we knew the ups and downs of the life we were living and with no guarantees it would stay on an 'up' anyway V's new life experiences even if it fell though in the first year.
The bit that was key is we went over what was realistically the worst case scenario (so the normal hardships/failures etc that could happen, without thinking about being knocked down by a car on the way to your first day at work kind of nonsense) and with that worst case scenario in mind ask yourself is it an acceptable outcome to take the risk?

8 years on, & while there's no pot of gold (best case scenario) & I'm looking forward to going back home someday (wherever that might be) most importantly we have zero regrets about moving jobs/home/country

As long as you feel that the move is a move forward or 'towards' something you want to try rather than moving to get 'away' from what you currently have, then moving wont often be the wrong choice

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
If you started there when you were 16 and have been there for 14 years, that means you are just over 30. That's too young to get stuck on a job forever. You will have to make a move eventually, and it won't get easier if you wait till you are 40 or 50. Don't let loyalty hold you back either. It is great that your current bosses supported you all those years, but I am sure they will understand that you want to widen your horizon.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Forgot to add, loyalty... its a strange concept. I remember back in my early 20's asking my dad about loyalty. Basically I was complimenting him on his loyalty to the company he'd been with for most of his working life, and from which he retired from about 15 years later.

I was shocked and disappointed to hear him say his loyalty was one month long. He expanded on that by saying it was the length of time the company were loyal to him. If the company decided to restructure, and he wasn't part of their plans, they would let him go. He was fiercely loyal, pay-check to pay-check. He would do long hours, travel the world and even reached Board level but always said loyalty lasts as long as your notice period from your employer.

As I 'grew up' I shifted my mindset from blind loyalty to 'monthly' loyalty. And in my last year an engineer I'd employed in a specific part of the business rang me to say his new boss had given him his notice. The direction of the business had shifted and he was being TUPE'd, 'sold,' with that part of the business to a new employer. He was one of the best I'd found out of over 50 I'd brought in down the years.

Loyalty; does it really go both ways, or is it dropped by an employer when it suits?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As we go through life we collect 'If-Onlys'. And when as retirement starts to become a realistic event for me I reflect on life's journey - and I just had a few too many 'If-Onlys' that came about through my own decisions. I have now dealt with these - but it was not easy - and it would have been better to have not collected them in the first place.

These days when presented with a challenge - such as a new role or assignment at work - I usually take it on. At the moment I am doing something I have never done before - well outside of my comfort zone - I have taken it on - I didn't have much choice but I had choice. It might as well have been a completely new job, same role - completely different environment and different part of the (very large) company I work for. It's difficult - it's uncomfortable - and the fear of failing is there in spades. But I have to do it do avoid the 'If-Only' and for my peace of mind.

And I must believe that my discomfort will ease; my understanding will improve; the fear of failing will reduce, and it will in time become less difficult. And I will know that whatever the outcome I made the right decision.

You just gotta have faith in yourself and those who you can lean on for support.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As we go through life we collect 'If-Onlys'. And when as retirement starts to become a realistic event for me I reflect on life's journey - and I just had a few too many 'If-Onlys' that came about through my own decisions. I have now dealt with these - but it was not easy - and it would have been better to have not collected them in the first place.

These days when presented with a challenge - such as a new role or assignment at work - I usually take it on. At the moment I am doing something I have never done before - well outside of my comfort zone - I have taken it on - I didn't have much choice but I had choice. It might as well have been a completely new job, same role - completely different environment and different part of the (very large) company I work for. It's difficult - it's uncomfortable - and the fear of failing is there in spades. But I have to do it do avoid the 'If-Only' and for my peace of mind.

And I must believe that my discomfort will ease; my understanding will improve; the fear of failing will reduce, and it will in time become less difficult. And I will know that whatever the outcome I made the right decision.

You just gotta have faith in yourself and those who you can lean on for support.

Take some comfort from the thought that you wouldn't have been given the task if they hadn't thought you were good enough... its an affirmation of their belief in you.

D

Deleted member 25172

As a famous sports company slogan says - Just do it.

Please keep us updated with your decision!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Take some comfort from the thought that you wouldn't have been given the task if they hadn't thought you were good enough... its an affirmation of their belief in you.

It is indeed. When I returned from my career break my company project management function has been completely reorganised. I had been reorganised off working on BAU on our BBC Account - that had been stressful but I felt comfortable - I knew the people; I knew the ropes; and I knew how to get things done.

I was put onto a Bid for a government department Service Desk - largely networks stuff - and I know diddly squat about networks. Stressful 100% and unsure I'd done much of a job...lots of self-doubt stuff. That bid finished two weeks ago and I have been put onto an important and very compressed timescale NHS Heathcare Trust project - as a Networks PM - one of two. Again very stressful - and lots I don't know and trying to learn very quickly.

But I fall back on what you say. My boss would not have done the assignment if I had screwed up on the Bid. And so I plough on. My colleague PM said a couple of days ago after I got something right 'I'll make a Networks PM out of you eventually'. He's a miserable get. So I must be doing OK :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It is indeed. When I returned from my career break my company project management function has been completely reorganised. I had been reorganised off working on BAU on our BBC Account - that had been stressful but I felt comfortable - I knew the people; I knew the ropes; and I knew how to get things done.

I was put onto a Bid for a government department Service Desk - largely networks stuff - and I know diddly squat about networks. Stressful 100% and unsure I'd done much of a job...lots of self-doubt stuff. That bid finished two weeks ago and I have been put onto an important and very compressed timescale NHS Heathcare Trust project - as a Networks PM - one of two. Again very stressful - and lots I don't know and trying to learn very quickly.

But I fall back on what you say. My boss would not have done the assignment if I had screwed up on the Bid. And so I plough on. My colleague PM said a couple of days ago after I got something right 'I'll make a Networks PM out of you eventually'. He's a miserable get. So I must be doing OK :)

Good luck with the Health Trust one. They have so many security protocols because of medical records access. Our biggest problem was getting permissions for remote access to allow our engineers to remote fix rather than going and sitting in their server room.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

While its not true (probably) I couldn't help reading that bit and wondering if you were being held on remand or doing time :LOL: Such a golfer type way to explain an absence

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good luck with the Health Trust one. They have so many security protocols because of medical records access. Our biggest problem was getting permissions for remote access to allow our engineers to remote fix rather than going and sitting in their server room.

LOL - have you been looking over my shoulder or listening into my calls on 2FA Remote Access Server and Service Support Network :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While its not true (probably) I couldn't help reading that bit and wondering if you were being held on remand or doing time :LOL: Such a golfer type way to explain an absence

Aye - maybe it's the penance or sentence I have to endure for my impertinence.

I was rather hoping that, in my absence - they might have found that they had no further need for my skillsets...and had decided to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. But no. Looks like I serve my time - I'll be applying for early release once 50% of time to go is served - maybe earlier on grounds of good behaviour.

D

Deleted member 26595

I’ve been on the outside, looking in at this situation.
I’ve worked in quite a few businesses, including some tech startups.
When I’ve worked at big companies, I’ve seen employees there, who have been with the company all their adult lives, but could be doing so much better for themselves if they were prepare to make the move.

The water is fine - no: it’s awesome!
Jump in!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No, but I had to listen to my PM’s and network engineers far too often.:eek:

My colleague's note to our lead PM on her return to work on Monday (she's in Poland) - 'Hogie - nice guy - knows very little about networks' Love him :)

But I don't mind at all. Because it's true, and for the OP - I've made it clear that that is the case from the outset - so nobody is under any illusions. And I don't worry about my lack of knowledge or experience in Networks; I am comfortable asking lots and lots of questions - and I am a fairly quick learner.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I did read through all these but never got the opportunity to reply at the time, there was a lot of good info and it also helped me through the 'interview' as my outlook and mindset was different to what it was originally. I felt guilty at the thought of going for the interview originally but then I saw it as something that could have many significant positive changes to my career.

Sat down with the MD of the company and the Architectural Director that head hunted me. It was a very bizarre meeting really, I didn't feel interviewed it was almost like a sales pitch to get me onboard, and I found myself asking them more questions than they asked me. I'd sent them over some of my work prior to the meeting and they know my background from previous projects, They seemed fully convinced and satisfied with my work just wanted to ensure I fit the dynamic of the office, which I seemingly did.

I got on really well with the MD too as he is an avid golfer. Every last Friday of the month from May-Sep they run a mini society so free day off and free golf which isn't to be snuffed at.

- Better Pension
- Shorter Commute
- 30 Days annual leave (not including bank holidays)
- They also run something they call 'duvet day' which comprises of 6 days (as long as you don't have deadlines obviously) where you can decide you just don't fancy work
you can have the day off, even if you decide that morning. They aren't sickness days as such and they do insist that everybody takes these 6 days, just to have that down
time when needed.
- Bonus's are performance based which suits me
- Company car or allowance depending on preference
- Flexible working hours so I can start and finish early.
- Social gatherings every 2 months from go karting, paint balling etc. depending on what people vote to do.

Really it's just like a complete step-up from where I currently am, theres additional salary but it's more about the work environment. It actually seems a really nice place to be. Ended up going for a meal afterwards with The MD, and 2 directors (QS & Architectural) and we all instantly had a good rapport.

Theres a lot of positives, it's a much better work environment than where I currently am with a lot of emphasis on social activities to keep the morale up in the work force when you have those stressful deadlines.

Finally the big selling point... they're currently in the process of converting a rear piece of land to the office building in to an artifical chipping and putting green!!

I think it goes with out saying, notice has been handed in this morning. I've been sent home on garden leave with immediate effect so I'm now sat at home and about to go for a round of golf.

I'm on a 3 month notice period which benefits nobody, 3 months off work I'll be climbing the walls so I will try to negotiate this to a month so I can start my new job and my current employer isn't paying me to play golf. Unfortunately due to confidentiality of projects there is no option but garden leave as it maintains Client relations. New employer can live with me starting in 3 months but preference would be 1 month.

D

Deleted member 26595

Well done. I wonder about organisations that have a three month notice period, pretty sure they are only designed to make it more difficult to leave!

For some, it’s because it takes that long to find a suitable replacement, especially when it’s a rare skill that needs to be replaced.