Brussels sprouts

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Can't stand them, look flippin horrible and taste even worse.
Probably comes from when I was a kid and me and my two brothers were forced to eat them. Usually pinching my nose and listening to my mum say " if you don't finish them you will get no more" then laughing her head off thinking she is funnier than Chubby Brown.
It kicks off every year.
missis T " how many Brussels do you want.
me "none same as last year when you asked and the 29 years previous"
missis T "what about one"
me " nope".
She then thinks she has the last laugh/word by hiding one under me turkey or tatters. Then giggling when I find it. very funny.
Anyway last night I popped round to me parents to wish them happy Xmas and new year. flying from Manchester tomorrow for a 30 day cruise around the Amazon and carribean.
me mum says " here take them with you outside when you go home" eh what. " ave picked you some Brussels from the allotment they have the root ball on so you can plant Um in the garden". is she flippin winding me up. Missis T was grinning from ear to ear.
says our Cheerios and Missis T said " put them in the boot" I then had a five min discussion about them having more chance of walking to our house than goin in my car. Guess who won.
Anyway this morning it's bladdering in down with rain in the centre of the universe ( Mansfield ) and Missis T has the tit on coz she's going to work and I am continuing with my retirement.
Her leaving sentence was "plant them Brussels before you go to golf". Sniggering whilst walking down the path.

Well Missis T I have planted them, and they are sat in the front garden for all to see, not stuck up in the corner out of the rd, and when I get up tomorrow I am gonna decorate them and hope every flippin cat in the street finds her Xmas day Brussels attractive and helps to water them.
Summat I will remind her of Crimbo day. Rant over

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Apparently some people have taste receptors in their mouths that render the taste of sprouts totally obnoxious & other people don't. My wife & eldest daughter love sprouts. The youngest & I would quite literally vomit if we tried to eat one. I'm the same with cooked cabbage, although I can eat it raw, either in salad or coleslaw & can tolerate broccoli & beans, which I eat because they are supposed to be good for you.

S

Snelly

Apparently some people have taste receptors in their mouths that render the taste of sprouts totally obnoxious & other people don't. ..............

..............said a fussy eater once whose Grandma made them eat sprouts as a child.

Utter hogwash.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, I'm with you. They are evil and foul. I too have had the "hide the sprout game" year after year and find it equally irritating. My mum used to do the same game with cauliflower hidden in mashed potatoes. My three absolute no way Jose foods are sprouts, cauliflower and celery. They make me gag and I am old enough now to not have to eat foods that do that to me. Why people find it funny I don't know, it is just irritating.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On most folks taste buds they sit halfway between sweet and sour, which is why they are a love hate thing.

Today at my school garden the pupils have managed to grow a perfect cane of sprouts.
I chopped and trimmed it and offered it as first prize for the garden club's garden painting competition.
Teachers thought it was inspired.:lol:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy all green veg. Only veg I don't like is cauliflower unless it's raw as it tastes better then.

Only things I don't eat are pork and lamb chops YUCK! The smell of lamb fat makes me feel ill.

Funnily coriander is something in our house we all can taste strongly, sis and mother hate it but I can tolerate.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over cooked they do smell and taste not the best... Cooked with a bit of bite still, tossed in a little butter, salt, black pepper maybe some nutmeg and some pancetta and damn, you have one of the finest accompaniments known to man.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
..............said a fussy eater once whose Grandma made them eat sprouts as a child.

Utter hogwash.
Sorry for my mistake, I've always thought that. I'll bow to your superior knowledge. After all "Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman but tha cannot tell him much"

By the way, just out of interest, how do you know what sprouts taste like to me?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love sprouts and eat them all year. Did see something about the taste receptors on TV. Not sure of the coriander connection though as I hate that flavour with a passion.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
recipe for sprouts.

place sprouts in pan of water ,bring to boil and simmer for twenty minutes ,strain off the water and then place sprouts into a carrier bag ,place said bag in the dustbin,
sprouts....spawn of the devil.