Advice appreciated

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely get lessons, I bought a block of 6 and have had 3 so far and he's told me just to go out and play now I know the basics, also relax and enjoy it.
I wouldn't say it's a pointless post, this is a golf forum after all 😀

D

Deleted member 16999

Appreciate everyone's advice! I will absolutely look to get a lesson booked in with a pro to try and get rid of any bad habits early doors. I should be able to play a good few times a week too which will help.

With regards to it being a pointless post. I understand that no one can tell me what I can achieve on a forum, my post was more seeking advice on how I should go about getting off on the right foot early. I do intend to play more regardless but I find that I enjoy sport more when I have a goal or something to aim for and so I was asking if my idea of reaching a 9 handicap was realistic or if I am in dreamworld and should lower my expectations. I know that everyone is different but like I say, I was looking for advice around how to best improve.

Planning to go to the range tonight, hit a few balls and ask the pro about lessons.
Welcome and enjoy it fella, everyone is different, makes a whole lot of sense speaking to the pro.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
How is this a pointless post? Very confused by some responses on here.

Anyway the advice I wish I'd had when I was in your position about 2-3 years ago was this (takes a few £££ but worth it):

1) Waste no time in joining a club. I was hampered by an appetite for golf that surpassed that of my few PPs and I couldn't get on the course nearly as much as I wanted. Joined a club a couple of weeks ago and played in 2 comps since and loving every minute of it. New PPs, new friends and new experiences most of whom are as obsessed with the game as I am. I wish I'd done this from the start!
2) Spend money on lessons rather than gear. Swing faults are still faults with shiny clubs and vice versa with strengths. Build a consistent strike so that when it comes to buying new stuff, you can be sure its suited to you.
3) Short game is where the most strokes are gained and lost. I played with a 5 handicapper on Saturday (I've yet to get my h/c but probs play off 15). I held my own for much of the long game. Its round the greens where the differences became clear. Chipping and putting was streaks ahead of mine, so this will be my focus for the foreseeable.
4) Focusing on a particular number i.e. a handicap or target average gross score is tough and can potentially be demoralising. Maybe try splitting it down to driving goals, approach goals, chipping and putting goals to give more chance of success in one area rather than the overall. If several come together at once you looking at low scores and reduced handicap as a result.

Happy playing.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think golf is a hobby, and it is nice to set goals, but most of all, it has to be fun. When the fun stops, what next.

Agree with this.

Always believe the next shot is going to be your best shot ever. Some days it is hard tho:rofl:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lessons - even if it's just group lessons - to get the basics.

Practice chipping and putting as much as you hit balls on the range. If the place you practice doesn't have a short game practice area then your back garden and carpet at home are good enough.

Once you can hit the ball consistently, and in the rough direction you're aiming, it's only chipping, putting and your thinking (ie. not making stupid decisions) that's in the way of breaking 100, or even 90.

www.thesportingvoice.com
How is this a pointless post? Very confused by some responses on here.

Anyway the advice I wish I'd had when I was in your position about 2-3 years ago was this (takes a few £££ but worth it):

1) Waste no time in joining a club. I was hampered by an appetite for golf that surpassed that of my few PPs and I couldn't get on the course nearly as much as I wanted. Joined a club a couple of weeks ago and played in 2 comps since and loving every minute of it. New PPs, new friends and new experiences most of whom are as obsessed with the game as I am. I wish I'd done this from the start!
2) Spend money on lessons rather than gear. Swing faults are still faults with shiny clubs and vice versa with strengths. Build a consistent strike so that when it comes to buying new stuff, you can be sure its suited to you.
3) Short game is where the most strokes are gained and lost. I played with a 5 handicapper on Saturday (I've yet to get my h/c but probs play off 15). I held my own for much of the long game. Its round the greens where the differences became clear. Chipping and putting was streaks ahead of mine, so this will be my focus for the foreseeable.
4) Focusing on a particular number i.e. a handicap or target average gross score is tough and can potentially be demoralising. Maybe try splitting it down to driving goals, approach goals, chipping and putting goals to give more chance of success in one area rather than the overall. If several come together at once you looking at low scores and reduced handicap as a result.

Happy playing.

Thanks for that, really good advice. A few years ago I got into the habit of spending at least 45 minutes on the chipping and putting green two or three times a week but fell out of the routine after a house move. If I can get back into that then it should help. Have a club I am planning to join but I do have 1 question...

My local short course (9 hole, par is 29 or 30) I believe, has a membership offer for £110. Would it be of value joining to work more on my short game and playing the odd neighbouring course at full 18 or should I just join a full 18 club?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I particularly agree with this point. I joined a club this year and was given 24 handicap. I've no idea how long it'll take me to lower that, so I haven't set any specific targets on it. I didn't want to say I need to be 18 handicap by the end of the year or anything, because if I don't hit that I might feel like I've done poorly, even though it was just an arbitrary target based on guesswork. I just look to improve the worse aspects of my game as much as I can, and then the handicap will naturally come down along with that improvement. Most of all I'm just loving playing as much as possible - even the terrible rounds.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is doable but the biggest factor is the time you can spend on golf. How much you can practice and play. It is a very time consuming sport\hobby.

As others have said get some lessons on the basics early on before you get into bad habits.

After a couple of months have a playing lesson with your pro and get a assessment of your strengths and weaknesses and come up with an improvement plan.

Having a goal can be a good and bad thing depending on your mindset. Everyone is different. It can be a blessing as you are working towards something, but can be a curse if you are not progressing as quickly as you think you should. It can take the enjoyment out of the game.

Basically have a few lessons, play as much as you can and see just how good you can get.

www.thesportingvoice.com
Got down to the driving range tonight, hit 60 balls, some good and some bad. Then spent some time on the putting green at putts between 1ft and 8ft.

Noticed that the grips on my clubs probably need replacing.

The driving range pro said £25 for a 30min lesson or £40 for an hour, is that reasonable or is it likely I will find a better deal?

Enjoyed it though, planning to go again Thursday and either do the same again or play 9 holes.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends how good the pro is, it's probably on the cheaper side for tuition but that's not to say he's not good or whatever. Not all pga professionals are keen golfers, you only have to play off 4 to do the pga training so many of them whilst being decent golfers aren't really that great and many low handicap amateurs would beat them like a drum on the course. This of course may or may not have any bearing on how good they know the theory but you tend to find the ones who were or are still player players are more expensive and in my experience you want to do a bit of research and make sure the guy that is teaching you has been there and done it because the truth is alot of them haven't. Ask around the local area, do you know any keen golfers? It's always best to speak to people who have had lessons as they can give you a good idea about certain pros. Not to knock on pga professionals as the vast majority are good at what they do, but i have come across a few in my time that really didn't seem very interested and couldn't tell you very much about anything if I'm honest.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got down to the driving range tonight, hit 60 balls, some good and some bad. Then spent some time on the putting green at putts between 1ft and 8ft.

The driving range pro said £25 for a 30min lesson or £40 for an hour, is that reasonable or is it likely I will find a better deal?

Enjoyed it though, planning to go again Thursday and either do the same again or play 9 holes.

I'd say that's pretty reasonable. I've paid less and definitely paid more. It's about finding a pro you like and trust and who can get his ideas over to you in a way you can understand and that sticks. Work hard on the drills you'll get, don't be tempted to change back if it doesn't work and don't get frustrated by an initial lack of progress

Personally, if the grips need replacing, but depending on the budget as well. I'd use it as the opportunity to look at upgrading to something perhaps a little more modern and that will get you started and serve you for a few years to come. Finally, if you can afford to join a club and there's a local one you think you'd enjoy with good members and a helpful policy towards integrating new members then crack on, get a handicap, even if that's 28 to start and then get playing competitions

I do a blog (see my signature) and still have my own ambitions of getting to single figures. Not going quite as I planned at the moment but I find the blog enjoyable to write (and cathartic to me as well) so if you do want to do one then crack on. Plenty out there (and a few on here) to get an idea of what a good and bad one looks like

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Definitely get the grips done, should cost about 50 quid to have a set done with basic Tour Velvets or Crosslines. Those are about standard prices for lessons, can get cheaper but what you are quoting is common and reasonable. Many coaches will do packages of 5 or 6 lessons at a discount.

Last edited:
www.thesportingvoice.com
Thanks again everyone for the pointers. Just to cover a few things that have been said:

I don't really know any golfers in the area and the ones I do know are casual players that have never had lessons, so don't have anyone who can recommend a pro.

Re the grips: £50 isn't too bad, I guess I decide whether to invest that on my old set (that I would likely replace in 12 months or so anyway) or just go for it and pick up a brand new set now.

I am located near Bolton. I was having a look online and Hart Common golf club in Westhoughton have a couple of pros offering various packages (50% discount on first lesson too) and as well as their driving range they have a little 9 hole academy course for people to practice their short game where most holes are less than 100 yards in length. Seems like a decent set up there to practice.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for the pointers. Just to cover a few things that have been said:

I don't really know any golfers in the area and the ones I do know are casual players that have never had lessons, so don't have anyone who can recommend a pro.

Re the grips: £50 isn't too bad, I guess I decide whether to invest that on my old set (that I would likely replace in 12 months or so anyway) or just go for it and pick up a brand new set now.

I am located near Bolton. I was having a look online and Hart Common golf club in Westhoughton have a couple of pros offering various packages (50% discount on first lesson too) and as well as their driving range they have a little 9 hole academy course for people to practice their short game where most holes are less than 100 yards in length. Seems like a decent set up there to practice.

I know Kevin and Steve Parry at Hart Common, I play in mixed pro ams with them, they are both good chaps, never had lessons from them though.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just go out and play and enjoy yourself.

Single figures is an achievable long term goal for anyone I believe. i know plenty of "bad golfers" who are single figures. Nothing spectacular about their game, they just no longer have many double bogeys and make the occasional birdie.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just another thought, the pro at my place Ellesmere (its close to Walkden) does 3 half hour lessons for £50.

This is quite a good option as you can only take in so much information at a time. Do this then go away and grain in what the pro says before coming back for the next lesson. Maybe 2 weeks between each lesson with a few range sessions in between?