Machrihanish Review 2011

T

thecraw

Firstly I would like to start off by thanking everyone who came along and contributed to a wonderful weekend of golf. It was, without wanting to sound like a dirty orange b "simply the best".

Also everyone who very generously donated prizes I cant thank you enough, Mike Harris for his very generous donations on behalf of Golf Monthly, Andy with his Gourock four ball voucher, Dodger for donating two four balls at his track, etc etc, there is far far too much to list and a great big thank you to each and everyone of you.

Anyway, the travel was rather nondescript this year with everyone agreeing it was a beautiful relaxed leisurely drive.

The Saturday morning better ball turned into a bit of a shambles with Stuart Murray crying off on the first tee because he had a little bit of rusty coloured water leaking from his rear end. My suggestion of a cork was declined and he gingerly walked back to his car and sat on a towel to drive back to his hotel. Pussy!

Bacon rolls, numerous cups of tea or coffee were on offer and the free tees were certainly abused by some. Some people should be embarrassed.

Anyway onto the golf. Beautiful clear blue skies, golden sun and very very little breaze meant that is was an awesome day on the links. Machrihanish Dunes proved to be either a hit or a miss with many. It was presented in tip top condition that can't be denied by anyone.

I had the pleasure of playing with Patrick and Calum Mitchell and couldn't have had a better day. Due to my poor finger, sorry I don't think I've mentioned yet that I injured myself ;), I gave away my partner and played as a single. The highlight for me was when Calum decided to slide down the sand dune on his behind! That was funny.

Machrihanish Dunes is a 100% natural golf course with no earth moved to create it. The fairways and greens were laid out through the dunes and for me it works. Its raw, natural beauty is stunning. The challenge is second to none and calls for every type of shot and every club in the bag. Blind shots are part of it, thats golf.

The pairing of John Boag (Toad) and Andy Hayne Jnr (Andy) were miles and miles too strong for the rest of the field recording a better ball 67 which was the best by about 6 or 7 shots. Great shooting guys and well done.

036.jpg

MACHRIHANISH DUNES SIGN

174.jpg

VIEW FROM 10TH TEE

175.jpg

NO FORUMERS IN THIS PICTURE, NEXT

176.jpg

STEPHEN KING ON THE 10TH TEE

177.jpg

VIEW OF MACHRIHANISH DUNES BOTHY

178.jpg

NICE VIEW

181.jpg

PATRICK ON THE 12TH

182.jpg

THE PAR 3 14TH

183.jpg

STILL LOOKING FOR BUNKERS BALL FROM TWO WEEKS AGO! ;)

185.jpg

CALUM IN THE 17TH BUNKER

186.jpg

JJF69 RIPPING ANOTHER WATCHED BY DELB (PURPLE SHIRT)

187.jpg

VIEW DOWN THE FIRST

188.jpg

CALUM ON THE 3RD TEE

190.jpg

A GREEN (SOMEWHERE)

191.jpg

VIEW OF THE DUNES

192.jpg

APPROACH TO THE 4TH GREEN

193.jpg

NOW THATS A BUNKER

194.jpg

CALUM, NOT SURE IF THAT WAS HIS PROVISIONAL OR NOT!

195.jpg

VIEW ACROSS THE COURSE

196.jpg

MACHRIHANISH GOLF CLUB SUNDAY 27TH MARCH 2011

They say "beware the injured golfer" what a load of tosh, it should be "beware the golfer with no sleep and no breakfast who can duff it onto the beach and still shoot 71"!!!!!!!!!

Anyway after a hard Saturday night even harder for some who were locked out there room due to bedroom olympics ;) it was onto the first tee at Machrihanish Golf Club. I had the pleasure of Bobby then the antics of Madandra and Farneyman, how the hell I managed to end up in a four ball with the forums two craziest but genuine people I will never know. I will need to rig it next year, my sides were sore laughing.

Out first, Bobby, Fabian and Andy all nailed it off the first tea, safely carrying the beach and finding the short stuff. With me ready and willing to use the "injured finger" as an excuse I suddenly had a flash of inspiration and thought to myself!!

"USE THE KEMLO LINE" :D

Aiming safely at the houses 300 yards right I managed to carry the Atlantic, all 2 yards of it on my line meaning I wasn't first of 2011 on the sand. Result. That honour fell to the eventual winner!

Machrihanish was again rather benight conditions which was night and day compared to last years testing back nine. The golf on offer from some was clearly owesome with a three way tie of 35 points being the winning total. The back nine seperated JJF69, Shooter, and Andy McIntyre with Andy winning it on the countback thanks to an awesome 3,3,3,3 finish. JJF69 must be kicking himself, sitting at -1 on the 17th tee he according to Andy hit his only poor shot of the day and pulled his drive slightly and going OB. A double bogie later and he was relegated to third. Shooter also on 35 points, playing off of six showed he fully intends to lower that handicap this year. With Toad knocked into 4th place, compensated with a Mizuno wedge courtesy of GM for his great play.

I could go on and on and on, but here are a few photo's to finish off. I'm sure everyone will have stories to tell and they can add them to this thread. :D

220.jpg

THECRAW(KISSING) FARNEYMAN, MADANDRA & BOBBY

199.jpg

MAD GIVING IT SOME WELLY

200.jpg

BOBBY ON THE 5TH TEE

201.jpg

BOBBY AND FABIAN MILES BEHIND "NIGEL" MADANDRA

202.jpg

ROADRAGE, TRY GOLF CART RAGE WITH MADANDRA :eek:

203.jpg

FARNEYMAN (FABIAN)

205.jpg

THECRAW READY TO PULL THE TRIGGER

207.jpg

EASY GAME, PICK IT OUT

208.jpg

MADANDRA AND HIS "BEAM ME UP SCOTTIE" POSE

211.jpg

ON THE 10TH FAIRWAY

212.jpg

BOBBY AND FARNEYMAN PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK!

214.jpg

REF, WE NEED A REF OVER HERE!

215.jpg

NOW WHERE DID I LEAVE MY BAG?

216.jpg

AWESOME ESCAPE FROM FABIAN (TAKE 27 RIGHT ENOUGH!) :D

219.jpg

THECRAW BLASTS OUT ALL OF 3 YARDS, EASY PAR THOUGH!

Finally can I just say a huge thank you to everyone who decided to buy me that superb new top, tiddlywinks and the money. It was not required and I was quite taken aback by it. Thank you very very much.

thecraw.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
That pic with the 3 balls in the same bunker is priceless.

For those of us that haven't had the pleasure, can you name tag the photos for us?

Sounds like a great day and the course looks awesome. Need to play me some real links.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Great read Craw.

Mind I canny believe that someone took buggy round that awesome links.......they should be banned from this beauty.Imagine not walking it!! Boooooooo!!

Anyone care to give me their thought and the Dunes Course for future reference? Not that I don't trust yours Crawford! ;)

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone care to give me their thought and the Dunes Course for future reference? Not that I don't trust yours Crawford! ;)

If you like a long route march across the hills with a golf bag, fire on............. :D

martybhoy1888

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello to all the guys who enjoyed a cracking weekend and a very new experience for me! firstly id like to thank everyone who participated because it made it a day to remember!

On a hole the 2 courses wer awsome n a challange at tht for me part from the walk round the dunes LOL didnt think it was going to end but i think thats wht makes the course how good it is and how natural the layout is!

And to the sunday on the old course the views were outstanding and managed to get a few snaps on my way round !

Lastly id like to thank craw for his efforts and time to putting the trip together as it was 1 to remeber for me and to thank the boys i played with over the too days very much appreciated !

Really looking forward to playing again !

Marty :D

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The pairing of John Boag (Toad) and Andy Hayne Jnr (Andy) were miles and miles too strong for the rest of the field recording a better ball 67 which was the best by about 6 or 7 shots. Great shooting guys and well done.

And not even a pic of my Tartan breeks :)

Andy

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cries into his beer.....glad you had a crackin weekend lads though and sorry I (well not me really!!) messed it up a bit at the last minute....

I would like to be first on the list for next year please!!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello to all the guys who enjoyed a cracking weekend and a very new experience for me! firstly id like to thank everyone who participated because it made it a day to remember!

On a hole the 2 courses wer awsome n a challange at tht for me part from the walk round the dunes LOL didnt think it was going to end but i think thats wht makes the course how good it is and how natural the layout is!

And to the sunday on the old course the views were outstanding and managed to get a few snaps on my way round !

Lastly id like to thank craw for his efforts and time to putting the trip together as it was 1 to remeber for me and to thank the boys i played with over the too days very much appreciated !

Really looking forward to playing again !

Marty :D

Martin, welcome to the forum pal. Here is that picture you asked me to post of The SHORTEST Drive winner YOU ;) ;)

6d846f26.jpg

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks to Crawford for all his hard work and patience getting us there. Was a weekend to remember and will not be forgotten soon. The jacket was the least we could do m8 :)

Thanks also to John (B), Raymond and Paul for the great golf and company on Sat. Same wishes to John (F), Mike and Ian for the golf on Sunday. John France makes the game so simple and a joy to watch. Some great golf was played by all.

Looking forward to getting everyone a game at Gourock in the near future :)

Andy

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
First on the prize list for Madandra next year will be a bottle of Sarson's finest lol.

Andy

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
That pic with the 3 balls in the same bunker is priceless.

For those of us that haven't had the pleasure, can you name tag the photos for us?

Sounds like a great day and the course looks awesome. Need to play me some real links.

The slim chap on the left is me, the double chin rubbers are Fabian(Farneyman) in the middle and Bobby (non forum member) on the right.

B

birdieman

This picture is ace and would sell any course anywhere in the world, not a good hole for a right to leftie like me but a great design.

Great write up and really lucky with the weather in Scotland in March!! :eek:

Very jealous. :mad:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate pc's at times. I have typed 2 reports and added photos and both times it crashes and I lose reply....

Heres a one sentence review and photos. In a nutsheel it was another cracking trip on 2 cracking courses organised by Crawford and I am already looking forward to the next.

Apoligies for the poor quality of the photos.

Practice area.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Andys trews
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Fore righttttttt.....
015.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

027.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

Machrihanish

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

Third putt
042.jpg

fourth....;-)
043.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

Craw looking for his baws
050.jpg

Mine was the one on its own. How I got that out I'll never know...
052.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

058.jpg

Hope this works now.....