Hoylake - The course

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hoylake as a test of golf this week was awesome.

It often comes in for a lot of criticism and is talked about as being one of the weakest courses on the rota (Wallasey is a much better course etc etc) but when you combine the infrastructure, the strategy choices off the tee, the ask of the players to shape shots, the angles the players need to hit to attack pins, the way the weather affects how the holes have to be played (17th!!) and the grandstands framing the holes were awesome.

For me, as a test of the best golfers in the world, its up there with the very best.......You don't need massive fake sand dunes to have a wonderful links course.

Jason.H

Visit site
A tough test as shown by the scores from the best golfers on the planet. The only failure was after practice rounds some comments were made to hit it wide to take the bunkers out of play. Some holes they were clearly aiming well left and going into the crowd.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A tough test as shown by the scores from the best golfers on the planet. The only failure was after practice rounds some comments were made to hit it wide to take the bunkers out of play. Some holes they were clearly aiming well left and going into the crowd.
Was the course tough or was it the weather that made it hard? Does links golf need wind to make it a 'proper' course?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The thing I don’t like about it as an open venue is that every tv shot had a temporary structure in view. It just made golf look unnatura.

D-S

Visit site
I thought the rough, despite looking like it should be, was not penal enough - the high proportion of decent lies in seemingly deep rough was disappointing. Also the number of pull hooks off the 1st tee that were 30, 40 or 50 yards off the fairway that didn’t seem to be punished wasn’t good. The run offs on the green looked difficult and if it is windy with firm greens it must be tough for amateurs.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure I agree with the comment about the rough.
The fact that the clear winner was about the best in the field for driving accuracy says to me that the rough was penal.
I thought the rough, despite looking like it should be, was not penal enough - the high proportion of decent lies in seemingly deep rough was disappointing. Also the number of pull hooks off the 1st tee that were 30, 40 or 50 yards off the fairway that didn’t seem to be punished wasn’t good. The run offs on the green looked difficult and if it is windy with firm greens it must be tough for amateurs.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that's just the nature of links golf. Sometimes its wispy, sometimes a bit chunkier.
Personally, I like it this way - native vegetation in an unfertilised, unwatered environment. The randomness is a feature, not a bug.
Conversely, I detest US style 5 inch rough monoculture of grass on 'roids.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the TV coverage yesterday, I thought it was poor. Far too often they cut to cameras who lenses were so fogged or covered in rain you couldn't see a thing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hoylake always appears to get negative reviews because it’s prob flatter than most links but to play it is superb , it rewards accuracy , first class game management as well as a great short game

And that’s exactly what the Open produced - a player who did all the above was the player that was head and shoulders above everyone else

Played their twice but need to go again to play the 17th which looked a brilliant hole

It’s no surprise that the main people complaining about the Open and Hoylake are those from over the ocean who spend most of the time watching PGAT golf

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't think it was great to watch from a TV perspective. Very few memorable holes, a lot of them looked very. very similar. No doubt a great test of the top level golfer's ability and it produced a worthy champion who played links golf the way it's meant to be, but it just wasn't a course that inspired me to want to play it.

Springveldt

Visit site
Those weren't pull hooks, they were by design to take the bunkers out of play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that not the nature of Major golf at a links? The spectators trample down much of the rough so unless they are in gorse bushes the chances of thick rough are not that high. To get in really penal rough they would need to narrow in the fairways so the rough is not where the spectators stand.

Springveldt

Visit site
They were described as such by the commentators.
I know they were probably because they didn't want to say that some of the best golfers in the world were aiming at the spectators and just smashing it straight at them. Take the bunkers out of play and get a good lie were all the rough has been trodden down.

D-S

Visit site
I know they were probably because they didn't want to say that some of the best golfers in the world were aiming at the spectators and just smashing it straight at them. Take the bunkers out of play and get a good lie were all the rough has been trodden down.
That certainly doesn't sound like a good test to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Those weren't pull hooks, they were by design to take the bunkers out of play.

Why would Pros be looking to put their drives into areas where the lie is going to be a lottery. They weren’t aimed for the walk ways or rough just to avoid bunkers