Lofts

Jason.H

Visit site
Custom fit Ping you can have 2 degree strong, normal or retro (weaker) on some irons. Don’t get hung up on the numbers as long as your bag set is well gapped is most important.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely, if all irons are lofted the same (46* PW) as an example, then some clubs would be known and shorter and no doubt deemed inferior -

Industry standard would not sell new gear

D

Deleted member 15344

Titleist T400 PW has a 38 degree loft so 44 degrees is old hat now.
8748504E-6759-4633-B929-718FDD695F90.png
the PW is 44 degrees

Edit just seen it’s T400 !!

Blimey didn’t even know they did them

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: D-S

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The now defunct Ben Hogan Company tried this a few years ago. I guess it didn't work because they went back to numbers except for wedges. I think you're correct. Some players are more obsessed with how far they carry their shots than making par or better.

That so reminds me of an old playing partner;

"What did you hit?"
"5 iron"
"I hit 8 iron"
"I'm 15 feet away, you're 25 yards left"
"Yeah, but I hit 8 iron..."

Lovely guy, :poop: golfer.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
interest comments thanks, for me as long as I know my distances it doesn't bother what is written on the bottom of the club, seems its probalby down to being able to advertise longer distance from the alleged same club. Daft really!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
7 is 38d, 8 is 43d, 9 is 49d and 10 is 54d. I really like the "gaps" and the hit-distance with these. Forgan Powerpakt circa 1961.

When playing with these, I keep in my mind,
9-iron is 99 yards
5-iron is 155 yards
easy to remember.

SDC11306.JPG

I use a "standard" 58d SW (Edinburgh Golf Eagle SW) when I play with these.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
As newer clubs launch higher, lofts get stronger to bring the flight down meaning distance gets longer. It’s not false advertising.

I hit a cobra forged tech wedge the other week, the shaft was the same length as my current wedge, the flight was the same (ish by eye) but it was 15 yards longer. I checked the spec and the loft was pretty much my 9i, but if it hadn’t had a stronger loft the apex would have been stupid.
So it was a 9i? Not a wedge then? Most sets seem to just be same with the numbers moved along a couple of clubs...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So it was a 9i? Not a wedge then? Most sets seem to just be same with the numbers moved along a couple of clubs...

If the flight is the same, the shaft length is the same then you could argue it’s a strong wedge. Me personally I would have expected a 9i flight and not a wedge flight if I were to class it as a 9i.

sjw

Visit site
If the flight is the same, the shaft length is the same then you could argue it’s a strong wedge. Me personally I would have expected a 9i flight and not a wedge flight if I were to class it as a 9i.
But when we've established that the lofts are nonsense, how are you quantifying a "9i flight"?

Hoganman1

Visit site
I know this is confusing for the occasional player. As it's always been the key is knowing how far you carry each club in your bag. I recently played in Scotland with rental clubs. It did present a slight problem with my distances. Anyway, that's my excuse for not scoring in the 80s with my 9.5 index.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d quantify a 9i flight as one that is lower wedge.

I tend to hit the ball high with all irons. Yesterday at the range just comparing a 9i and a 46W (just 3 degrees difference in lofts) and Toptracer says that I hit the same height on average with both clubs.