7 or 9 wood

Mandofred

Visit site
Just wait for your supposed chums to start referring to your “Ladywood “
??
Well.....if I can stop plopping my 2nd shot on hole 8 into the sand (again today with the hybrid).....and it lands soft as a babies buttocks on the green......which will turn them green with envy (fantasy in my head) If I can't do that, fair enough....I'll deserve it:cry:

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, the 11 wood was delivered today. It's......a different kind of beast. Might not try it out until Wed playing on a different course. The angle of the face with the bulk of the back....it's.....weird. No idea of how far I'll hit it. I might just sneak out to our small practice ground in the morning to see if I can hit it. I don't want to change out the regular grip yet until I swing it a few times. As poster Marksman wrote....the club has come pristine. I don't know what they do....but it looks new.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We need action from the R&A, and we need it now.
For the integrity and traditions of the game, like limiting COR, driver size, and broomhandle putting, its time for a loft limit on woods. Golf must be played with irons. I vote for 21deg - a seven wood as the upper bound. It has some history at least. Always a rare beast, and rightly so, seen only in the hands of elderly gentlemen who have given in to the years and their pride, but are to be commended for still trying to play the game at all. Probably in a 5 wood headcover for discretion.
But 9 woods and, heavens above, 11 woods ? Please. Or rather, no thank you.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, a silly bit of an update. Bought an 11 wood Callaway, put a mid-size grip on it.....still not sure. I "think" the 9 wood might be the better fit. Played at Sandburn Hall near York yesterday (a new reciprocal for us...it will be a good winter course)....a bit windy....and don't go in the rough, balls were lost. I did have a bunch of 160yd type shots I hit with this 11 wood and it did a great job. I cannot hit it further than 160 unless there is a good wind behind me or I catch it really well. But it kind of does what I wanted it to do. It drops the ball in that 150-160 range without a lot of rollout. I am still experimenting, but I might try a few shots under 150 with a short swing to see what happens. Anything I usually use to reach 150 will rollout a fair way at this time of year, but the 11 wood seems to do the job. In the back of my head I am now thinking....but what if I had just bought a 26-30 degree hybrid?

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Well, a silly bit of an update. Bought an 11 wood Callaway, put a mid-size grip on it.....still not sure. I "think" the 9 wood might be the better fit. Played at Sandburn Hall near York yesterday (a new reciprocal for us...it will be a good winter course)....a bit windy....and don't go in the rough, balls were lost. I did have a bunch of 160yd type shots I hit with this 11 wood and it did a great job. I cannot hit it further than 160 unless there is a good wind behind me or I catch it really well. But it kind of does what I wanted it to do. It drops the ball in that 150-160 range without a lot of rollout. I am still experimenting, but I might try a few shots under 150 with a short swing to see what happens. Anything I usually use to reach 150 will rollout a fair way at this time of year, but the 11 wood seems to do the job. In the back of my head I am now thinking....but what if I had just bought a 26-30 degree hybrid?

I’ve a 28degree hybrid. I find it a great club, makes a mid range shot easy. Probably goes about 170 on a no wind, flat shot, but let’s face it you never get them, golf (for me at least) is as much about feel and judgement. That said my experience is that lofted wood hit it higher and I‘m thinking about trying a couple for the summer months but they will be no use come the winds. I’ve just bought a rogue 4 wood In place of my very old 3 and 5. Now that is a weapon!! Rogue woods £o seem very good.