7 or 9 wood

Mandofred

Visit site
Time to spend some more money. Currently have a Ping 410 9 degree set at 10.5...at some point just need to go straight to a 10.5 or 12 degree...but not today. Next club is a Ping 410 5 wood which I have just moved back up to 18.5. 2 hybrids come next that are set at 21+24.....love the 24, the 21 I'm having trouble getting up in the air. If I had a magic wand I would change the 24 to a 26 and dump the 21 and put a 7 or 9 wood in there. Our pro shop pushes the Cobra line, which I've never used...but don't care one way or another. Cobra does a 22.5 degree 7 wood that seems to fit in nicely with what I'm looking for. Ping does a 9 wood at 23.5 (adjustable to 22-25) that seems to make more sense.

We have several holes where I'm wanting to drop the ball in from 160-180 and not have it roll much. The 8th hole computerized video I've attached below is just the thing I get on a few holes. I'm usually sitting with 160-170 to the pin with a decent amount of room after the sand traps....but if I hit a 5-6 iron that lands past the sand it just rolls out the back. That 24 hybrid is what I usually go with but it also tends to roll out the back. Anybody here use the Ping 9 wood?
https://www.oakdalegolfclub.co.uk/hole_8

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your bag sounds similar to mine. I have a 10.5 driver, 5 wood lofted down to 17.5, 7 wood lofted down to 21.5, then a hybrid at 24. The seven wood is what I use for most second shots on longer holes - I'll only use the 5 wood if gives me enough extra to actually reach the green, if I'm just knocking one down there I'll go 7 wood for easier launch. The 24 hybrid is still new in the bag but it seems a lot better out of dodgy lies in the rough and whatnot.

Nine woods are probably harder to get hold of, it's not something you see knocking about on Ebay very often, or in American Golf even. But my 7 wood for example is adjustable between 21 to 24, so at the top of end of that there's probably not much difference between that and a 9. (Cobra even labelled it a "7-8 wood" in fact.)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can certainly recommend a 7 wood for drop and stop but for me so does a 24 rescue on a receptive green.

Trouble with Ping Adapters (like others) is change the loft and you change the face angle.

Mandofred

Visit site
Your bag sounds similar to mine. I have a 10.5 driver, 5 wood lofted down to 17.5, 7 wood lofted down to 21.5, then a hybrid at 24. The seven wood is what I use for most second shots on longer holes - I'll only use the 5 wood if gives me enough extra to actually reach the green, if I'm just knocking one down there I'll go 7 wood for easier launch. The 24 hybrid is still new in the bag but it seems a lot better out of dodgy lies in the rough and whatnot.

Nine woods are probably harder to get hold of, it's not something you see knocking about on Ebay very often, or in American Golf even. But my 7 wood for example is adjustable between 21 to 24, so at the top of end of that there's probably not much difference between that and a 9. (Cobra even labelled it a "7-8 wood" in fact.)
Is your 7 wood the Cobra?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can never really understand why people describe their needs in loft. Surely the OP would be better listing his distances and then we could see where the gaps were and give better advice? Maybe I am looking at this from the wrong direction but seems weird to me.:unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can never really understand why people describe their needs in loft. Surely the OP would be better listing his distances and then we could see where the gaps were and give better advice? Maybe I am looking at this from the wrong direction but seems weird to me.:unsure:
Distances vary from person to person though, lofts don't. :unsure: He did also state what distance he was after.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Distances vary from person to person though, lofts don't. :unsure: He did also state what distance he was after.
Whilst I sort of agree, I don't hit a 24* hybrid as far as some of my regular playing partners and certainly nowhere near as far as Rory so loft can be irrelevant

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm not after purely distance....if I was I would get the 7 wood without even thinking about it. I'm after something I can drop in that 160- 170 range and not roll out much......loft/height is very important. The hybrid that I have at 24 lands in that 160 range...but again, with too much roll out. I can hit my 5 wood, but it will roll out as well. I find myself doing what Orikoru does when just moving the ball further down the fairway....and sometimes not bothering with the 5 wood since I hit the 24 hybrid nicely and only lose a little distance on the 5 wood. The 8th hole as inserted above is an example of what I'm after......that hole usually leaves me in the 170 range to the pin. There is room over the sand traps to land the ball at 150 or so....but with my irons/hybrid I can't stop the ball before it zooms off the back. I sure can't hit my 7+ irons 140+yds in the air anymore or I would use those clubs. Right now....I'm leaning towards the 9 wood....partially just because of this

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can certainly recommend a 7 wood for drop and stop but for me so does a 24 rescue on a receptive green.

Trouble with Ping Adapters (like others) is change the loft and you change the face angle.
Am I correct in saying that Callaway are the only brand that have an adapter where loft can be changed but face angle isn't altered as a result?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not after purely distance....if I was I would get the 7 wood without even thinking about it. I'm after something I can drop in that 160- 170 range and not roll out much......loft/height is very important. The hybrid that I have at 24 lands in that 160 range...but again, with too much roll out. I can hit my 5 wood, but it will roll out as well. I find myself doing what Orikoru does when just moving the ball further down the fairway....and sometimes not bothering with the 5 wood since I hit the 24 hybrid nicely and only lose a little distance on the 5 wood. The 8th hole as inserted above is an example of what I'm after......that hole usually leaves me in the 170 range to the pin. There is room over the sand traps to land the ball at 150 or so....but with my irons/hybrid I can't stop the ball before it zooms off the back. I sure can't hit my 7+ irons 140+yds in the air anymore or I would use those clubs. Right now....I'm leaning towards the 9 wood....partially just because of this

What u can do is tee the ball up higher than you normally would. Put the ball up in your stance and try to feel like you are swinging up on it. It will fly much higher and land softer.

Mandofred

Visit site
What u can do is tee the ball up higher than you normally would. Put the ball up in your stance and try to feel like you are swinging up on it. It will fly much higher and land softer.
Uhhhh.....if I tee it up on the fairway....somebody might object;). I'm not talking about tee shots......usually 2nd or 3rd shots into the green. Although....we do have a couple of par 3's I'd consider using a 9 wood on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't think you could tee it up on the fairway... and people say I struggle with the rules! :LOL:

Mandofred

Visit site
I haven't checked yet, but if I ordered a Ping 9 wood...is there a long wait for something like this? Just looking on the Snainton site, there is almost nothing in this loft. The new Stealth evidently does.