Lofts

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The sooner the industry moves away from 5-iron, 7-iron, P wedge, A-wedge the better in my opinion.
I would much rather have a set of irons that say the loft on the bottom rather than a number. I was fitted for a new set and trying the P790 and Stealth irons, one was a 7-iron and the other an 8-ron to get a decent comparison.
I do think sometimes it's for ego that one person is hitting 8-iron vs everyone else with 10yr old clubs hitting 6-iron

I totally agree, they are shown on my Cleveland CG16 irons along with the number. These clubs are a few years old and I wish other manufacturers would do the same.
My 7 iron is 39 degrees
PW is 44 degrees
4 iron is 22 degrees
The next set of irons I go for will be off comparable lofts. Sets like Srixon ZX5 or Callaway Apex

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rule #1
There are no standards in golf apart from etiquette.....

Disagree.

There are no standards in golf whatsoever, except the lengths of pink and orange castle tees.

They are genuinely the only thing I have found which have consistently in this bloody game of ours ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I totally agree, they are shown on my Cleveland CG16 irons along with the number. These clubs are a few years old and I wish other manufacturers would do the same.
My 7 iron is 39 degrees
PW is 44 degrees

4 iron is 22 degrees
The next set of irons I go for will be off comparable lofts. Sets like Srixon ZX5 or Callaway Apex

Is that right?
What are the lofts on the 8 and 9 irons?

JSims

Visit site
It's actually daft to try to compare clubs by loft - as there are indeed no standards.
Manufacturers generally use head weights to define their clubs and adjust lofts to increase distance for marketing.
If the loft was used to define a particular iron, they'd adjust head weight and/or shaft length to 'improve' performance over last year's models.
The only true measurement is 'Do I score (or maybe enjoy playing) better with these new clubs than I did with my old ones'! But by that time the manufacturer and golf store have got your money!
@louise_a The same applies to Woods - the head weight generally determines the number on the club, not the loft.

Jason.H

Visit site
Lofts are irrelivant. Take 5 different manufacturers drivers all with 10 degree loft and same shaft. Chances are they will produce different launch angle, distance, decent angle and ball spin ect. The same with modern iron heads. Latest ones although strong lofts are designed to launch higher ect.

D

Deleted member 1147

Lofts are irrelivant. Take 5 different manufacturers drivers all with 10 degree loft and same shaft. Chances are they will produce different launch angle, distance, decent angle and ball spin ect. The same with modern iron heads. Latest ones although strong lofts are designed to launch higher ect.
I found that the new Titleist, Callaway and TM drivers were all much of a muchness

JSims

Visit site
If you lot are so obsessed by pink castle tees why do I find so many..?
Look after them!
And, if you want to have happy greenkeepers, pick up and dispose of broken ones in bins! They are not kind on mower blades. Wooden ones aren't great either, but tend to be smaller and less robust.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you lot are so obsessed by pink castle tees why do I find so many..?
Look after them!

I have got two pots full of pink castle tees and I have never bought one in my life.

A man with a better scientific mind than mine said it is something to do with not seeing red clearly after shaking your head.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree.

There are no standards in golf whatsoever, except the lengths of pink and orange castle tees.

They are genuinely the only thing I have found which have consistently in this bloody game of ours ?

except for orange castle tees, they come in two different heights but that is the Chinese for you - cannot stick to the correct specifications.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
except for orange castle tees, they come in two different heights but that is the Chinese for you - cannot stick to the correct specifications.

Woah. Don’t be coming at me with this total anarchy you describe.

It’s a rough and tough world and i Need security and structure.

I’m ignoring you and sticking to order and security Thank you very much

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's actually daft to try to compare clubs by loft - as there are indeed no standards.

Surely, being a precisely quantifiable specification that enables clearly distinguishing one club from another, makes loft THE best way to compare clubs, and not daft at all ?

What height it flights, what number is on it, what distance it carries, etc, moves comparison away from the repeatable and accurate, to the individual and subjective.

Should McIlroy call his 32deg iron his wedge because it flights higher than my 9 iron of 40deg ?

JSims

Visit site
Surely, being a precisely quantifiable specification that enables clearly distinguishing one club from another, makes loft THE best way to compare clubs, and not daft at all ?

What height it flights, what number is on it, what distance it carries, etc, moves comparison away from the repeatable and accurate, to the individual and subjective.

Should McIlroy call his 32deg iron his wedge because it flights higher than my 9 iron of 40deg ?
Loft may be 'precisely quantifiable', but that's about the only thing about a golf club that is! Even weight has a range!
By your logic, a 7 iron blade should produce identical performance as an identically lofted game-improvement one, even with a completely different weight distribution!
That's why there's little point actually making the comparison!
Why are you even trying to compare irons purely by their specs? The proper way to actually compare them is to hit them - side by side!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loft may be 'precisely quantifiable', but that's about the only thing about a golf club that is! Even weight has a range!
By your logic, a 7 iron blade should produce identical performance as an identically lofted game-improvement one, even with a completely different weight distribution!

No. I didnt say that in any way or possible interpretation. How did you possibly read that into my post ?!?!?!?
Exactly, loft is quantifiable, so an objective comparison.
Surely more useful than putting them side by side. What does that tell you - the one on the left looks shinier ? The one on the right looks thinner ?

RichA

Visit site
Went to a range in Oxford this morning with a small AG attached. The guy was happy to make up a new Mizuno Pro 223 7-iron (32°) in my specs for me to try alongside my Ping G425 (30°).
They were consistently carrying the same distance.