LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Christ, the vultures are circling again 🤦🏻
Arguably the continuing amusement is how some people rush onto here to post what they've seen on social media. Is similar to when Rory and others just kept taking about it and keeping it in the news - several wise people said things like 'stop giving oxygen to the fire and it may die out'. Even some mods might have suggested similar 😉😉.

As you were...

cleveland52

Visit site
As far as players that won't be eligible for the Masters this year - well Gooch would be worthy of a place, Louis O, Dean Burmester - all recent and multiple winners. 2 years ago 22 LIV players tee'd up at the masters, that's down to 12 I think this year - even with the additions of Rahm and Tyrell. Have all those LIV players fallen off a cliff? No, they haven't.

So the asterisk is correct, as I've been saying on here for months.
You are truly the "Spin Doctor" much respect for your creative nonsense.😆

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Arguably the continuing amusement is how some people rush onto here to post what they've seen on social media. Is similar to when Rory and others just kept taking about it and keeping it in the news - several wise people said things like 'stop giving oxygen to the fire and it may die out'. Even some mods might have suggested similar 😉😉.

As you were...
I enjoy LIV but I don’t agree with Gooch.
The biggest names and most successful players are all in the Masters.
We all have a right to debate/disagree with his statement.
(Unless there is a forum rule to the contrary)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If his comment isn't out of context then its a very weak point to make and comes across as petty when you look at the players not there. If things stay as they are then in 3 or 4 years when the liv golf representation at Majors is down to 2/3 players (excluding past champions) then without a doubt it'll be very valid (& overdue)

The question is, between now and then... who moves the needle? Which of the liv players who will be there in april has to be missing before Goochs' point make the majority of us nod thoughtfully?

edit to add: and maybe this is why Rory will never join liv. Imagine he drops down the owgr over two seasons & outside top 50. Does he have any other qualification route to enable him to do his slam :unsure:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Take your time to listen to maybe the first 20 minutes of this and you'll get the full context of what Gooch was implying, vies that already been suggested by a few posters on the thread. (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I enjoy LIV but I don’t agree with Gooch.
The biggest names and most successful players are all in the Masters.
We all have a right to debate/disagree with his statement.
(Unless there is a forum rule to the contrary)
Debate is good 👍 Think you only joined recently, but may have been reading prior, IMO debate has been constantly hindered by the 'pile on' habits on this thread.
I don't agree with the wording or how it was done, but acknowledge the main aim of it was to have it talked about - which has clearly been successful.

Similar to @garyinderry , IMO he had a run of form last year which pre changes/conflict/politics would have had him placing high, or winning events which would have been enough to qualify. We know why that isn't the case & don't need to go around it again. Results from years ago on PGAT & past major results are irrelevant.

It is looking like the usual small field Masters will be the smallest for some years.
Hodges, List, Van Rooyen, Murray, Kirk Hadwin, Cole, Grillo, Fox, Poston, English, Knapp - maybe the winner will come from this group, or maybe some will be in the top 10. It seems hard to see him out of place in that group. But equally most can likely find other names that could make case for also.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Liv reported to have made a new 950 million offer to Rory Mcilroy

I haven’t read the article, but did Gooch specifically name Rory when talking about the winner of the Masters having an * next to their name? If he did he just looks petty, if he had said whoever the winner is would have an * I could understand his point (but I don’t agree with him as most years there is someone missing, was it an inform DJ who pulled out on the Thursday morning one year).

D

Deleted member 15344

Debate is good 👍 Think you only joined recently, but may have been reading prior, IMO debate has been constantly hindered by the 'pile on' habits on this thread.
I don't agree with the wording or how it was done, but acknowledge the main aim of it was to have it talked about - which has clearly been successful.

Similar to @garyinderry , IMO he had a run of form last year which pre changes/conflict/politics would have had him placing high, or winning events which would have been enough to qualify. We know why that isn't the case & don't need to go around it again. Results from years ago on PGAT & past major results are irrelevant.

It is looking like the usual small field Masters will be the smallest for some years.
Hodges, List, Van Rooyen, Murray, Kirk Hadwin, Cole, Grillo, Fox, Poston, English, Knapp - maybe the winner will come from this group, or maybe some will be in the top 10. It seems hard to see him out of place in that group. But equally most can likely find other names that could make case for also.

Looking at Gooch in isolation , he was in good form prior to going to LIV and those results got him into majors in 2022 and 2023

For someone making bold claims you expect some results in those majors to show how good he is

In 7 majors he missed the cut 3 times and no top tens , last year when he was in good “LIV form” he was in 3 majors including the Masters - he missed 2 cuts and his best was t14 - it’s very hard to even suggest that the major winner will have asterisk next to them because the likes of him are not playing in it

It’s time for the LIv players etc to stop moaning about everything outside their tour , the players and organisation make a choice based on their priorities and with that choice they knew there would be some things they would miss out on

They spend more energy complaining about everyone being against them etc as opposed to trying to work out ways to be part of everything

They spent all last year complaining and moaning about everything, it made no difference

Every single day now they are attracting more and more negative nonsense

Go and enjoy your tour , play your golf , pick you your cheques - if you want to play in majors etc then you know what to do

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Obviously he's currently in the top 5 players on the world but what current major exemptions would he have if he joined and inevitably slips down the world rankings and loses the automatic qualification through OWGR?

wjemather

Visit site
Obviously he's currently in the top 5 players on the world but what current major exemptions would he have if he joined and inevitably slips down the world rankings and loses the automatic qualification through OWGR?
The Open until he's 60, the PGA until he stops.
His long-term exemptions for the Masters and US Open have expired (ignoring the owgr, he's in both this year by virtue of his top-5 finish in the US Open last year, and being a current PGA Tour member who reached the tour championship).

Fore Right

Visit site
That's a very good point but if Rory Goes it changes everything.

The majors cant have their tournament without Rory Mcilroy in it, the fans would be unhappy and there really would be an asterisk next to the winner.

It would force so many changes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's a very good point but if Rory Goes it changes everything.

The majors cant have their tournament without Rory Mcilroy in it, the fans would be unhappy and there really would be an asterisk next to the winner.

It would force so many changes.
But will he go. I know he's softened his stance on those that have gone but will he really cross that divide? I know we can never say never especially now the likes of Rahm have gone but this would be a seismic game changer that would affect everything including the majors and of course the Ryder Cup

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you got the link to report about this offer ?

Or is it a Twitter LIV account - someone like golf pro critic ?

Or is this based on the agent that he fired ?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
But will he go. I know he's softened his stance on those that have gone but will he really cross that divide? I know we can never say never especially now the likes of Rahm have gone but this would be a seismic game changer that would affect everything including the majors and of course the Ryder Cup
He doesn't go unless he's sure there's a deal coming so he cashes in twice.

His business interests are far too entwined with the individuals behind the SSG investment and he stands to make a lot of money maintaining those relationships; similarly, SSG's $3b is an investment with returns expected (at least in terms of value) so losing McIlroy at this stage is not viable for the PGAT or SSG, unless there's a deal coming. Selfishly, if he wins the Masters he may have considered it (if such an offer even exists), but as things stand, and with the associations he has established, it's unlikely.... and $950m is an odd amount, surely at that point it would just be a straight $1b?