LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most LIV players will be competing in 20 to 25 events per year.
Some will compete in less, and some more. I guess we’ll see how sharp they are once we get into the Majors, but generally speaking LIV players who comment on the schedule seem to be happy with it.

Sergio stated clearly on shiels podcast that he will play the 14 Liv events, 4 ET events and then any major he qualifies for (will do open qualifiers etc)

A lot less events that he used to play , enjoying more time at home (plus the money)

D

Deleted member 15344

They like their time off yet seem to play as much as possible in Asia

Looking at the players

The ones that have exemptions are playing just the LIV events plus majors and then Cam Smith playing home events

The others that don’t have exemptions are looking to play the Asian Tour events to get themselves ranking points or to qualify for majors

I suspect we may see more playing in the DP events if they pay fines etc which will give them more chances to gain points and entry to majors

wjemather

Visit site
Looking at the players

The ones that have exemptions are playing just the LIV events plus majors and then Cam Smith playing home events

The others that don’t have exemptions are looking to play the Asian Tour events to get themselves ranking points or to qualify for majors
I suspect we may see more playing in the DP events if they pay fines etc which will give them more chances to gain points and entry to majors
Are they? How do you know that?
Last year, pretty much everyone other than DJ played other tournaments.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Sergio stated clearly on shiels podcast that he will play the 14 Liv events, 4 ET events and then any major he qualifies for (will do open qualifiers etc)

A lot less events that he used to play , enjoying more time at home (plus the money)

It's just completely revisionist and agenda fitting. I don't understand why they all don't just admit it was money and nothing else. Those that have seem to have admitted as such have retained more respect, hence Jon Rahm's PR machine recently kicking into overdrive and becoming more money focussed reasons.

Sergio will play in a minimum of 19 events (up to 21), plus at least 2 qualifiers, across about 10 countries and all continents with no flexibility.

If he wanted time at home, he could play a PGAT + Spanish + Wentworth + Majors and a schedule of 20-22 events. Most of which he could build a schedule around - minimal travel, personal commitments etc

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just completely revisionist and agenda fitting. I don't understand why they all don't just admit it was money and nothing else. Those that have seem to have admitted as such have retained more respect, hence Jon Rahm's PR machine recently kicking into overdrive and becoming more money focussed reasons.

Sergio will play in a minimum of 19 events (up to 21), plus at least 2 qualifiers, across about 10 countries and all continents with no flexibility.

If he wanted time at home, he could play a PGAT + Spanish + Wentworth + Majors and a schedule of 20-22 events. Most of which he could build a schedule around - minimal travel, personal commitments etc

Isn't Liv all set events where as pga tour is having to do new events per year?

He did mention he likes a proper off season aswell

Fair play to them

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Isn't Liv all set events where as pga tour is having to do new events per year?

He did mention he likes a proper off season aswell

Fair play to them

1. Not really. 1 different tournament per year out of 15, where you can set your schedule and play in 2 countries vs globetrotting for 14 fixed weeks

2. Another falsehood of a ‘benefit’ of Liv. Scheffler had 4 months off season

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
DPWT get decent crowds in Dubai
Wouldn't be surprised if the Saudi bods look over at Dubai as a bit of a blueprint, not convinced they'll make it though. But the ET first went to Dubai in 1989, so it didn't happen overnight.

TBF Jeddah to Dubai is nearly 3 hrs by plane, nearly 20 hrs by car, so perhaps comparable with something like Malaga to Luxembourg.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
DPWT get decent crowds in Dubai

Not unusual for Dubai ET events to offer free entry (as LIV have also done) Even the R2D season finale

Likely 'free entry' is probably much more widespread round the world if we could look at each event. i.e I get free tickets by being a member of the national golf federation (as many players are) I remember bmw owners getting free entry to a uk event etc. There's probably large numbers at any given run of the mill event that haven't paid

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not unusual for Dubai ET events to offer free entry (as LIV have also done) Even the R2D season finale

Likely 'free entry' is probably much more widespread round the world if we could look at each event. i.e I get free tickets by being a member of the national golf federation (as many players are) I remember bmw owners getting free entry to a uk event etc. There's probably large numbers at any given run of the mill event that haven't paid

I seem to remember when I had to sign Jamie up to the Real Federacion Espana de Golf that one of the benefits to signing up was you'd get free access to the Spanish Open. Any golfer that want's to compete and have an official handicap in Spain has to be a member, so it's a significant number.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Of course there's an asterisk next to it, the ranking system that puts people into the majors isn't functional at ranking players based on ability.

People are in denial of the facts of course, but Gooch has a perfectly valid point here - plus, we haven't heard the full context of his explanation yet - when we do, it might well be more reasoned than a few media agencies are trying to portray it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course there's an asterisk next to it, the ranking system that puts people into the majors isn't functional at ranking players based on ability.

People are in denial of the facts of course, but Gooch has a perfectly valid point here - plus, we haven't heard the full context of his explanation yet - when we do, it might well be more reasoned than a few media agencies are trying to portray it.
It’s all over the players own social media

He is both deluded and arrogant to even suggest that there will be an *next to any major wins because him and the likes of Varner or Burmeister are not at the majors

It’s an embarrassing take

All the elite players will be at the Masters , there is not one single top class player who will be missing

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Has Gooch checked his own record in majors and the records of those he is claiming are the best in the world.

Delusional springs to mind.

They need to accept they have taken the money, Greg or someone lied to them about OWGR points and access to majors and enjoy playing less golf.