LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it odd that grass roots golf appears to be reasonably strong yet TV/Youtube numbers are dropping off. I wonder if the numbers going to tournaments is also dropping off? As I’ve said before I don’t watch much golf on TV at all and haven’t for years but can easily spend a couple of days watching when we’re physically there. The buzz of physically being there, of seeing what a 350yd drive is really like without the foreshortening of a lens and a long iron fired into a tight pin from 200yds with a stiff breeze blowing is immense.

Strangely enough, it doesn’t matter which tour it is, those shots are as equally exciting. For those that haven’t been to a tour event, go. You will not be disappointed. And if you want to do it on the cheap, do it in Europe. Book an EasyJet flight, a couple nights in a hotel and get some sun on your back. And it will barely be more expensive, if at all, than going to the Open. £35 for the Dutch Open, £27 for the Belgian Open, £24 for the Danish Open… £150+ for the Open.

When it comes to attending events there are certain places that will always have good attendance

The Open will be rammed , the British Masters , Scottish Open , PGA , Irish Open will also be well attended - and all the LIV event at JCB

We in the UK enjoy going to watch the events , it’s same with Aus - they love a sporting and will fill out venues - also I think some of the European Mainland do well - Spanish Open always looked well attended

Now the NFL season is over then I suspect US events may get the crowds , Players will be well supported but some of the earlier events not sure - Genesis looked like a fans there but then that’s the Tiger effect

But I think for most golf is more a participation sport than spectating

I wonder how many people who don’t play golf actually watch it - very little I suspect

Where as other sports like rugby , football , F1 will have lots of people that watch it as opposed to partaking

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory, by his own admission, said he wasn’t that bothered about playing in the Olympics in 2021. By the end of it he said he can’t wait for Paris 2024.

He was very honest afterwards and said, "I made some comments before that were probably uneducated and impulsive.” He’s human, he changes his mind and he’s not afraid to hold his hands up.

Will he join LIV? Who really knows. If, like Rahm, he changes his mind, so be it. His choice. If he doesn’t change his mind, so be it. In the great scheme, does it really matter? LIV has Rahm, PGAT has Rory. There is balance in the force.
View attachment 52061
He did the same with the Ryder Cup. Said he wasn't bothered about it at first, nowadays he's in tears in his post-match interviews for it.

Nah, seriously though, he's never going to LIV. :LOL: Even if the PGA Tour collapsed and folded he'd pretty much just retire.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I think it odd that grass roots golf appears to be reasonably strong yet TV/Youtube numbers are dropping off. I wonder if the numbers going to tournaments is also dropping off? As I’ve said before I don’t watch much golf on TV at all and haven’t for years but can easily spend a couple of days watching when we’re physically there. The buzz of physically being there, of seeing what a 350yd drive is really like without the foreshortening of a lens and a long iron fired into a tight pin from 200yds with a stiff breeze blowing is immense.

Strangely enough, it doesn’t matter which tour it is, those shots are as equally exciting. For those that haven’t been to a tour event, go. You will not be disappointed. And if you want to do it on the cheap, do it in Europe. Book an EasyJet flight, a couple nights in a hotel and get some sun on your back. And it will barely be more expensive, if at all, than going to the Open. £35 for the Dutch Open, £27 for the Belgian Open, £24 for the Danish Open… £150+ for the Open.

Must admit I’d love to come over for the Valderamma event. I’ve got tickets to The Open already, and have agreed to take my apprentice and his mate to the JCB event as a bit of a works do, plus I’ve got loads of society days around June and July, so just can’t finance a trip to Spain as well. Might see if I can make it happen next year though.

Fore Right

Visit site
There were more fans at Liv Mayakoba Mexico than the last PGA Tour event in Mexico.

That can be easily explained though because the Liv field was so much stronger.

Every tour has strongly attended events and poor ones.
The large PGA Tour events get the biggest crowd due to having the fields , tradition and the longest history.

There will be no crowds at Liv Jeddah but there never is that part of the world for golf.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
There were more fans at Liv Mayakoba Mexico than the last PGA Tour event in Mexico.

That can be easily explained though because the Liv field was so much stronger.

Every tour has strongly attended events and poor ones.
The large PGA Tour events get the biggest crowd due to having the fields , tradition and the longest history.

There will be no crowds at Liv Jeddah but there never is that part of the world for golf.
DPWT get decent crowds in Dubai

D

Deleted member 15344

I know nothing about this guy other than what I have read but im all in on following what he does.

Surely we shouldnt have too high expectations after 12 years away from the sport ?

The hype around him is bigger than his win record

It’s very strange- was a good golfer but had to stop because of wrist injuries and since then he legacy has grown despite not playing.

It’s pretty much a win win - if he plays well then it’s a master stroke , if he has a shocker then they can fall back on the “not played in 12 years” - the hype is costing them about £10mil to pay of his insurance

D

Deleted member 35577

I don't get the LIV schedule. Top athletes thrive on competition against their peers. Only playing 10 or 11 events a year isn't enough to keep them interested.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't get the LIV schedule. Top athletes thrive on competition against their peers. Only playing 10 or 11 events a year isn't enough to keep them interested.
Pretty sure it's 14, maybe not all announced yet. If you're one of the major exempt group, then that's 18 before adding any others.
Several of the other players have been playing (& some winning) on other tours.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The hype around him is bigger than his win record

It’s very strange- was a good golfer but had to stop because of wrist injuries and since then he legacy has grown despite not playing.

It’s pretty much a win win - if he plays well then it’s a master stroke , if he has a shocker then they can fall back on the “not played in 12 years” - the hype is costing them about £10mil to pay of his insurance
As you've mentioned, a lot of golf money in the US still, and many of them do seem fascinated by him.
Not sure myself, but suppose there is that curiosity.
Do you have a link for the insurance pay off part? Wondered if there was a bit more to it - did the original clause mention PGAT for example - as 10m $ isn't really that big a number in PGAT terms these days.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Most LIV players will be competing in 20 to 25 events per year.
Some will compete in less, and some more. I guess we’ll see how sharp they are once we get into the Majors, but generally speaking LIV players who comment on the schedule seem to be happy with it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know nothing about this guy other than what I have read but im all in on following what he does.

Surely we shouldnt have too high expectations after 12 years away from the sport ?

Have zero, he’d probably fit in well on a few teams though! Majesticks and iron heads spring to mind 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

As you've mentioned, a lot of golf money in the US still, and many of them do seem fascinated by him.
Not sure myself, but suppose there is that curiosity.
Do you have a link for the insurance pay off part? Wondered if there was a bit more to it - did the original clause mention PGAT for example - as 10m $ isn't really that big a number in PGAT terms these days.

Yeah he was next US golden boy

2008 helped put that in place when he was electric in the Ryder Cup

Reports seen are that LIV will pay the money

And report from 2014 is its to never play again

£10mil I guess is just a drop in ocean for PIF

Can’t see the PGAT paying it out though -for LIV it just adds to the disposable income