LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
As far as players that won't be eligible for the Masters this year - well Gooch would be worthy of a place, Louis O, Dean Burmester - all recent and multiple winners. 2 years ago 22 LIV players tee'd up at the masters, that's down to 12 I think this year - even with the additions of Rahm and Tyrell. Have all those LIV players fallen off a cliff? No, they haven't.

So the asterisk is correct, as I've been saying on here for months.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
As far as players that won't be eligible for the Masters this year - well Gooch would be worthy of a place, Louis O, Dean Burmester - all recent and multiple winners. 2 years ago 22 LIV players tee'd up at the masters, that's down to 12 I think this year - even with the additions of Rahm and Tyrell. Have all those LIV players fallen off a cliff? No, they haven't.

Most of those not going have poor recent results on LIV or in past majors

D

Deleted member 15344

So you think because a player who hasn’t had a single top ten in a major isn’t at Augusta that means the winner has an asterisk next to it

And Burmester - another with no top 10’s

Such a quality golfer that he spent most of his career being unable to qualify for majors

It’s an embarrassing take - no one with any credence in golf would even suggest that whoever wins the Masters has an asterisk next to it

There has been a lot of daily verbal diarrhoea and crying from LiV players - but that’s up there with the best from Gooch , making himself look a laughing stock

There is no big name elite player missing from the Masters

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Those big names we love to watch, whether it’s in majors on in LIV are all going to the Masters.
I can’t think of anyone else who will be missed. Gooch isn’t a big name or star player.

Correct, he isn't - but he won a championship last year against many players who will be there, and some who competed at the top end and even won majors in 2023. If you just want big names regardless of ability playing in the events that represent the pinnacle of the sport, then it isn't the pinnacle of the port. Having said that, the fawning mentality over Tiger is still unbelievably current- despite his inability to compete - maybe it's a PGAT fan thing?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Another LiV player got himself an invite by going and playing events outside of LiV. What has Gooch done other than whine?

Will there still be an * if Rahm or another LiV player wins The Masters?

It’s also very interesting/amusing to see the boys turn on Data Golf now the LiV players have slipped down their rankings too.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Correct, he isn't - but he won a championship last year against many players who will be there, and some who competed at the top end and even won majors in 2023. If you just want big names regardless of ability playing in the events that represent the pinnacle of the sport, then it isn't the pinnacle of the port. Having said that, the fawning mentality over Tiger is still unbelievably current- despite his inability to compete - maybe it's a PGAT fan thing?
I don’t understand the Tiger ref?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Another LiV player got himself an invite by going and playing events outside of LiV. What has Gooch done other than whine?

Will there still be an * if Rahm or another LiV player wins The Masters?

It’s also very interesting/amusing to see the boys turn on Data Golf now the LiV players have slipped down their rankings too.

As I've just said, Gooch has won a golf series against undeniably some of the best players in the world. He's clearly a top 50 player, he shouldn't have to go and compete elsewhere to gain entry to The Masters.

And yes, if Rahm wins, there's an asterisk next to it just as there will be for any other winner.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I've just said, Gooch has won a golf series against undeniably some of the best players in the world. He's clearly a top 50 player, he shouldn't have to go and compete elsewhere to gain entry to The Masters.

And yes, if Rahm wins, there's an asterisk next to it just as there will be for any other winner.
For a while there, I was actually starting to think you werent just a blind LIV fanboy, but had some genuine cogent rationale for it being a credible golf tour, and did find it had a true fundamental appeal.

But come on. Are you really standing over that ? There is a point when the argument strays into the absurd, and spoils all that went before.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Tbf Gooch probably does deserve an invite for winning the series.

Naming those other guys weakens his argument.

He embarrassed himself then with his asterisk comment.

Visit site
As I've just said, Gooch has won* a golf series against undeniably some of the best players in the world. He's clearly a top 50 player, he shouldn't have to go and compete elsewhere to gain entry to The Masters.

Just edited an asterisk into your quote as although he did win, it was against a limited field