LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the below sums it up. While there will always be traditionalists who like 6 hours in front of the TV, I think liv has just gone after an audience that wasn’t there. Golf had to move on.

From simple things such as playing in shorts, we all do it (some shouldn’t) yet a pro can’t play in shorts while a woman on the LPGA can play in a skirt/dress that short it barely covers her dignity.

The cost of a sports package to view pro events… nope view is free on a global digital platform. We all know that won’t last forever as TV rights are huge, but from the get go it was a strong advantage.

Do we miss big tour events with all the pros.. yes, but if louder, faster, funky golf brings in the new pipeline of players of the future then we simply have to move with it.

All I’d like to see is LIV players in all majors, but I think that’s a while off

I think they really tapped into a different audience.

Shorts… everyone plays in shorts yet the pga wouldn’t allow it. Digital free viewing when

Your right. Traditionalist don't like it

But then some people don't like removing the flag ..

From the outside looking in you get more people saying about it. It's spiked interest

Also now the pga don't own the players image rights .. so they appear on YouTube more often

Some great content has been put out

Now hate to say it.. but that will grow the game more than most pga events .. kids love YouTube. It's simple as that

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

From the outside looking in you get more people saying about it. It's spiked interest

Also now the pga don't own the players image rights .. so they appear on YouTube more often

Now hate to say it.. but that will grow the game more than most pga events .. kids love YouTube. It's simple as that

Pretty much summed it up. The game will now be accessible to a wider audience.

Everything has moved on in golf from equipment, etiquette (ready golf etc) types of sponsors, all that hadn’t changed was the format. LIV did this and clearly found a little niche. I would say they have brought a newer audience in, not stolen the old audience.

Ironically the party hole a LIV was far more controlled that the piss up at WM which resulted in a booze ban. I’d also add that you don’t appear to hear heckling as much on LIV which is a big issue in on the American tour as highlighted in full swing

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hey, now YOU stop with the positive posts 🤣🤣🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the below sums it up. While there will always be traditionalists who like 6 hours in front of the TV, I think liv has just gone after an audience that wasn’t there. Golf had to move on.

From simple things such as playing in shorts, we all do it (some shouldn’t) yet a pro can’t play in shorts while a woman on the LPGA can play in a skirt/dress that short it barely covers her dignity.

The cost of a sports package to view pro events… nope view is free on a global digital platform. We all know that won’t last forever as TV rights are huge, but from the get go it was a strong advantage.

Do we miss big tour events with all the pros.. yes, but if louder, faster, funky golf brings in the new pipeline of players of the future then we simply have to move with it.

All I’d like to see is LIV players in all majors, but I think that’s a while off

I think they really tapped into a different audience.

Shorts… everyone plays in shorts yet the pga wouldn’t allow it. Digital free viewing when

And yet the level of viewers throughout the whole sport has dropped - less people are watching PGAT events because some players are not playing there and those viewers are not all jumping to LIV

We have seen the viewing figures for LIV and the crowds , for the level of money being spent it’s quite a poor return

Apparently yesterday most of the broadcast was spent focussed on 3 players ignoring the rest of the field - I don’t like “featured groups” on PGAT events , I don’t watch golf events just to see the same players every event

And nothing with LIV is about “growing the game” - louder , faster “funky” is not growing the game - the game grows at the club level and the work there

I’m not sure where this idea that “golf had to move on” comes from - I can’t recall too many asking for what LIV is providing right now

Playing in shorts - small thing really and I don’t think anyone has ever not watched golf because they aren’t wearing shorts

When I see pictures on what you see on the screen for me it’s horrific with all the graphics everywhere dominating the screen - it’s as that nonsense the 100 in cricket - for some less is better

And being on free to air ? It’s not on single channel on my telly , I sit there and flick through the sports channels , I’m not watching 6 hours straight for golf for any event bar The Open - no interest in watching on you tube and looking at their viewing numbers it’s not grabbing too much of an audience and being honest Rahm is prob the only player I woold miss watching , the rest were certainly marmite players

And that’s not even going into the sportswashing , the level of money being given to the players and the source of the money.

There was prob a number of ways where some changes could have been made to encourage players to get to events outside the US but imo what’s happening with LIV isn’t the way - it’s imo doing more harm than good to the sport

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much summed it up. The game will now be accessible to a wider audience.

Everything has moved on in golf from equipment, etiquette (ready golf etc) types of sponsors, all that hadn’t changed was the format. LIV did this and clearly found a little niche. I would say they have brought a newer audience in, not stolen the old audience.

Ironically the party hole a LIV was far more controlled that the piss up at WM which resulted in a booze ban. I’d also add that you don’t appear to hear heckling as much on LIV which is a big issue in on the American tour as highlighted in full swing
Full swing is another excellent example of growing the game . I watched it with my wife. She has no interest in golf but she enjoyed it and took an interest.

Rick shiels like him or loath him the bloke is a bang average pga shop pro whos got 2 million followers by appealing to the masses. Getting non golfers into golf . Growing the game

We all know the pga tour is the better tour .... However if your interested in golf enough to notice your not the target audience. You already like golf!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And yet the level of viewers throughout the whole sport has dropped - less people are watching PGAT events because some players are not playing there and those viewers are not all jumping to LIV

We have seen the viewing figures for LIV and the crowds , for the level of money being spent it’s quite a poor return

Apparently yesterday most of the broadcast was spent focussed on 3 players ignoring the rest of the field - I don’t like “featured groups” on PGAT events , I don’t watch golf events just to see the same players every event

And nothing with LIV is about “growing the game” - louder , faster “funky” is not growing the game - the game grows at the club level and the work there

I’m not sure where this idea that “golf had to move on” comes from - I can’t recall too many asking for what LIV is providing right now

Playing in shorts - small thing really and I don’t think anyone has ever not watched golf because they aren’t wearing shorts

When I see pictures on what you see on the screen for me it’s horrific with all the graphics everywhere dominating the screen - it’s as that nonsense the 100 in cricket - for some less is better

And being on free to air ? It’s not on single channel on my telly , I sit there and flick through the sports channels , I’m not watching 6 hours straight for golf for any event bar The Open - no interest in watching on you tube and looking at their viewing numbers it’s not grabbing too much of an audience and being honest Rahm is prob the only player I woold miss watching , the rest were certainly marmite players

And that’s not even going into the sportswashing , the level of money being given to the players and the source of the money.

There was prob a number of ways where some changes could have been made to encourage players to get to events outside the US but imo what’s happening with LIV isn’t the way - it’s imo doing more harm than good to the sport

Change isn’t always good Phil, but a big deal of the divide has been caused by hypercritical statements.

Saudi sanctioned events, Saudi sponsors, series saudi sponsor pretty much propping up the entire LPGA TOUR… the list is endless.

2-3 years in and our sport is still a snow globe, but it will settle.

For me rham’s £600 million makes no difference to my duff chip on the third, who didn’t rake the bunker on the 4th last week, and why they couldn’t put the temp mat in straight on Seven so I try not to get so tightly wound over it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The YouTube app is in your Sky Box, VM box etc, there’s really no need to be watching it on your phone or laptop anymore.

Stop making sense!! 🤣
If your TV is under 5yrs old then YouTube is likely to be an app already installed. No need to search sports channels, it's free on your TV.

Exactly. Even it's older there are tons of ways to get it on the TV ..

D

Deleted member 15344

Change isn’t always good Phil, but a big deal of the divide has been caused by hypercritical statements.

Saudi sanctioned events, Saudi sponsors, series saudi sponsor pretty much propping up the entire LPGA TOUR… the list is endless.

2-3 years in and our sport is still a snow globe, but it will settle.

For me rham’s £600 million makes no difference to my duff chip on the third, who didn’t rake the bunker on the 4th last week, and why they couldn’t put the temp mat in straight on Seven so I try not to get so tightly wound over it.

I agree that change isn’t always good and can be very divisive- for me the LPGA or LET if they are still called that sold out their beliefs for the Aramaco money - it’s hard for them to take a moral stance in regards female rights in sport then be happy to take money from a regime with horrific equal rights - very much hypocritical.

And you are right - the statements from both sides are regularly poor and add nothing but further division

Sportswashing at any sport imo is poor and it’s a shame that greed makes people either ignore or forget their own morals

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Can we just get back to the golf please, there has been various peoples names mentioned on this thread and it doesn’t look good on anyone.
We need to get away from the snide digs and act a bit more responsible.
A lot of people read this forum, even though they haven’t joined, it doesn’t shine a good light on the forum.

Thanks Brian.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Liv took over 5 hours for 18 holes yesterday. They’re not exactly flying around. Nobody new is watching golf, unlike what cricket have done with 20/20

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because it's a single event masquerading as a team sport. LIV needs to concentrate on the team aspect if they want to sell franchises.IMO

Too much is focuses on rounds of golf

Do a singles 18 hole event and then the rest of the weekend is teams match play

Spice it up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Liv took over 5 hours for 18 holes yesterday. They’re not exactly flying around. Nobody new is watching golf, unlike what cricket have done with 20/20

All tour golf takes over 5 hours. Re 20/20, I’m a Test cricket fan, and avoided 20/20 when it first appeared. I watch it as much as Test cricket now - I don’t like it as much but I’m happy to watch it. I expect LIV will gain more followers as time goes on - it’s not the new messiah but, for me, it’s ok to dip in and out of.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
All tour golf takes over 5 hours. Re 20/20, I’m a Test cricket fan, and avoided 20/20 when it first appeared. I watch it as much as Test cricket now - I don’t like it as much but I’m happy to watch it. I expect LIV will gain more followers as time goes on - it’s not the new messiah but, for me, it’s ok to dip in and out of.

Yeah, I agree, but it will just chip away in an existing market, offering an alternative, not growing it. Nothing about it will suddenly make my mum watch. You can’t get 20/20 off her tv! She even goes to test matches now, taking up a valuable family ticket!

D

Deleted member 35577

Everyone is aware how to view Youtube. I just looked up viewing figures for golf on Sky, 1.3m on average per month and that is people paying for it. The few times I've watched LIV on Youtube the highest viewing figure I've seen is 19k which for a free service is poor. That tells me that either people are not into LIV or they need to drastically shake up their viewing offering. To me it looks very amateurish.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone is aware how to view Youtube. I just looked up viewing figures for golf on Sky, 1.3m on average per month and that is people paying for it. The few times I've watched LIV on Youtube the highest viewing figure I've seen is 19k which for a free service is poor. That tells me that either people are not into LIV or they need to drastically shake up their viewing offering. To me it looks very amateurish.

That's just for the UK

Other countries have TV deals