LIV Golf

wjemather

Visit site
What I said is 1.3m people are prepared to pay to watch golf on Sky but only a few thousand are prepared to watch LIV for free because to many golf fans it doesn't interest them.
The vast majority of Sky Sports subscribers are paying in order to watch football; getting other sports is just an added bonus.

You also aren't understanding the viewing figures correctly. There are absolutely not 1.3 million people watching tour golf - the Ryder Cup barely averages half that.

D

Deleted member 35577

Playing Devil’s Advocate isn’t “good product,” and “substandard product” a subjective opinion?
Playing Devils Advocate, based on how many people pay to watch Sky and how many people (don't) watch LIV for free does that tell you what the golf viewing public think of the standard of the product?

D

Deleted member 35577

The vast majority of Sky Sports subscribers are paying in order to watch football; getting other sports is just an added bonus.

You also aren't understanding the viewing figures correctly. There are absolutely not 1.3 million people watching tour golf - the Ryder Cup barely averages half that.
Read the link I posted. It drills down to viewing figures for EVERY Sky channel.

D

Deleted member 15344

IMG_7469.png

According to Barb there was 1.3 mil views of Sky Sports Golf during Jan 2024

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The figures I quoted were specifically for Sky Golf.

That wasn’t really my point, you said people were prepared to pay for a better product over a poor one, I took that as paying to watch Sky golf showing PGAT vs LIV for free on YouTube. I would question whether everyone paying for Sky Sports are exclusively doing it to watch the golf, for some, maybe the majority, it’s just a by product of getting the full sports package.
Anyway I’m boring myself with this, back to Death In Paradise ☀️

D

Deleted member 35577

That wasn’t really my point, you said people were prepared to pay for a better product over a poor one, I took that as paying to watch Sky golf showing PGAT vs LIV for free on YouTube. I would question whether everyone paying for Sky Sports are exclusively doing it to watch the golf, for some, maybe the majority, it’s just a by product of getting the full sports package.
Anyway I’m boring myself with this, back to Death In Paradise ☀️
Fair point.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
With everything stripped back ignoring graphics , commentary etc the actual hitting of the golf ball will be of the highest level on both tours - there are quality players playing both , the golf played by Rahm will be at the same high level as the golf played by Scheffler etc

There is no doubt that when it comes the quality within the top level of each tour it’s pretty even

But something must be stopping people from watching LIV when in the UK it’s free , their App I believe is free but level of downloads wasn’t more than 500k worldwide. Yes you can get you tube on the sky through the app , but what is stopping more from watching it ? Is it because it’s on when there is football on ?

LIV used to announce how many viewers they had but stopped last year , if it was being viewed handsomely I would expect them to be shouting from the roofs about their numbers

I do a lot of IT support, basic stuff, for friends & bowls club members. Pretty much all of them have a smart TV. The bowls world championships from Potters was broadcast on YouTube last month. Half the club were watching the championship on their laptops. I was the only person watching it on TV until I explained to a number of people how to get it on their TV. Two members have subscriptions to watch their footie team’s matches. Both of them were watching the matches on a laptop until I explained to them how to access their account via their TV.

Youtube isn’t the best platform for some to watch what they want. And, of course, some people are just anti-change to/creatures of habit. I don’t doubt LIV’s viewing figures are low, just as 20/20 was low originally.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
With everything stripped back ignoring graphics , commentary etc the actual hitting of the golf ball will be of the highest level on both tours - there are quality players playing both , the golf played by Rahm will be at the same high level as the golf played by Scheffler etc

There is no doubt that when it comes the quality within the top level of each tour it’s pretty even

But something must be stopping people from watching LIV when in the UK it’s free , their App I believe is free but level of downloads wasn’t more than 500k worldwide. Yes you can get you tube on the sky through the app , but what is stopping more from watching it ? Is it because it’s on when there is football on ?

LIV used to announce how many viewers they had but stopped last year , if it was being viewed handsomely I would expect them to be shouting from the roofs about their numbers

I think there’s a danger of overthinking all this.

Personally, I haven’t watched any LIV coverage. I simply cannot be bothered to take the albeit reasonably quick route to navigate to YouTube via my TV remote and search for LIV coverage when I can simply press 405 and watch the PGAT. For me, golf is golf. I couldn’t really care less what tour I’m watching. I simply can’t be arsed to go hunting for a product when I can switch to a perfectly adequate alternative so swiftly on Sky Golf.

It may just be that there are a lot like me. Put LIV on 406 and then the viewing figures might be worthy of comparison.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Playing Devils Advocate, based on how many people pay to watch Sky and how many people (don't) watch LIV for free does that tell you what the golf viewing public think of the standard of the product?

No. Unless you ask them a direct question, you’re making an assumption.

wjemather

Visit site
Many people don't know where to find LIV coverage. Apparently, some just don't know how to use their TV.

Most people though, just don't watch golf outside the majors and Ryder Cup.

D

Deleted member 15344

I do a lot of IT support, basic stuff, for friends & bowls club members. Pretty much all of them have a smart TV. The bowls world championships from Potters was broadcast on YouTube last month. Half the club were watching the championship on their laptops. I was the only person watching it on TV until I explained to a number of people how to get it on their TV. Two members have subscriptions to watch their footie team’s matches. Both of them were watching the matches on a laptop until I explained to them how to access their account via their TV.

Youtube isn’t the best platform for some to watch what they want. And, of course, some people are just anti-change to/creatures of habit. I don’t doubt LIV’s viewing figures are low, just as 20/20 was low originally.

20/20 didn’t start with low viewing figures - it was very well supported from the start ,games were selling out quickly especially for the non test grounds

Finals day had 500k watching it on Sky alone , think by their 3rd season they had just under 1mil - 2005 ( first finals day I went too )

It grabbed the attention early

D

Deleted member 15344

I think there’s a danger of overthinking all this.

Personally, I haven’t watched any LIV coverage. I simply cannot be bothered to take the albeit reasonably quick route to navigate to YouTube via my TV remote and search for LIV coverage when I can simply press 405 and watch the PGAT. For me, golf is golf. I couldn’t really care less what tour I’m watching. I simply can’t be arsed to go hunting for a product when I can switch to a perfectly adequate alternative so swiftly on Sky Golf.

It may just be that there are a lot like me. Put LIV on 406 and then the viewing figures might be worthy of comparison.

Exactly that - and it’s why it’s key for them to get a media deal with a sports broadcaster. It’s nice and easy for people to just browse through the channels watching bits and bobs

Until they get a meaningful broadcasting deal it’s not going to get anywhere near the reach of the other tours. We have two main sports broadcasters - Sky and TNT , Sky won’t touch it because of the deals with PGAT and TNT don’t appear to be interested

wjemather

Visit site
Yes it is which is why I quoted it.
Barb says 1.3 million (an extrapolated estimation based on their panel of upto about 16000 actual people) turned SSG on for at least 30 seconds during the entire month.

You use this to claim 1.3 million people are paying to watch and are watching SSG.

Do you see now why barb figures don't support your assertions?

D

Deleted member 35577

Barb says 1.3 million (an extrapolated estimation based on their panel of upto about 16000 actual people) turned SSG on for at least 30 seconds during the entire month.

You use this to claim 1.3 million people are paying to watch and are watching SSG.

Do you see now why barb figures don't support your assertions?
Barb are the industry leading figures. You can argue as much as you like about the nitty gritty of the viewing figures but at the end of the day the result is the same.

LIV is available to watch for free and only a very small number of people watch it. The product is not attractive to the majority of golf fans.