LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can actually watch it ignoring the team aspect! Personally I prefer it over PGA Tour - you actually get to see some Golf! During PGA Tour coverage you get Golf breaks rather than ad breaks and most events have depleted fields unlike Liv which has the same full strength fields for every round. From June it will be possible to follow whichever group you want to as well!

The PGA Tour has had its own way for far too long and has helped reduce the European Tour to feeder status. I love seeing them losing players!

It's time it was realised that to have a true World Number One you need a global tour and not a solely North American Series.

What I found odd is I watched it. Enjoyed it yet still think Saudi is a horrible regime and don't want to go there.

Guess sportwashing is a myth!

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
The music thing for me is a bit cheesey. There’s a ‘cool’ DJ and a couple of people milling about not really interested. I don’t get it, it looks stupid and must put the golfers off. I can’t see how it appeals to anyone. Do people actually say “I have no interest in golf but there’s a DJ son I’ll go”?

I’ve had both tournaments on my iPad and have taken little interest in it. Watched a few bits but it’s a struggle.

D

Deleted member 15344

One thing that does stick out on liv is the relaxed atmosphere between the players, cracking jokes, laughing and actually enjoying it.

Rahm didn’t seem to enjoy it much yesterday , I guess it’s prob a touch more relaxing with the top guys having the guarenteed money so it’s all about added bonus money on top - no need to worry about tour cards etc

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Playing a pro event at a course where the range isn’t long enough to hit driver says it all about the seriousness tbh

That being said I did watch again last night, so maybe I’m becoming a fan?

Golf was awful though. 15-20mph wind and you’d have thought it was 40 the way it was being talked about

One thing I don’t understand with coverage is what is the aversion to a replay? Bryson literally topped one into a bush. Rahm hit a full shank - would love to see them again!

Good to see GMac playing really well

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing a pro event at a course where the range isn’t long enough to hit driver says it all about the seriousness tbh

That being said I did watch again last night, so maybe I’m becoming a fan?

Golf was awful though. 15-20mph wind and you’d have thought it was 40 the way it was being talked about

One thing I don’t understand with coverage is what is the aversion to a replay? Bryson literally topped one into a bush. Rahm hit a full shank - would love to see them again!

Good to see GMac playing really well

I'm glad someone else said it. I was scratching my head at the wind comments . I appreciate they hit it further and harder than us mortals but it was a gentle breeze

Last week I played in 40mph gusts and they way they were banging on about the wind you would have thought it was that.

Id kill for a nice low wind like that .. think tomorrow is 20 mph gusts

D

Deleted member 15344

Still sour about the whole thing I see Phil

not sure if “sour” is the right word Baz but for me it’s a huge reason why the sport is a mess at tour level and the only people that are missing out are fans , it’s an enabler for a horrific regime to try and buy top level sport.

LIV atmosphere will be a lot more relaxed for many of the top players , i suspect the pressure will be different , it will have a different feel to it which suits players like DJ , no practice etc but I don’t think it suits someone like Rahm who seems to thrive on pressure

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wonder how many people are on here are fans of LiV now because LP is against it? 🤣

The marketing team seem to have gone quiet now the event was won by a player openly admitting he’d not practiced all winter 😉

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I wonder how many people are on here are fans of LiV now because LP is against it? 🤣

The marketing team seem to have gone quiet now the event was won by a player openly admitting he’d not practiced all winter 😉

I’m pretty sure Pinseeker has got himself an Everton tattoo a couple of years ago and Phil STILL wont notice him. Rude of LP if you ask me.

wjemather

Visit site
not sure if “sour” is the right word Baz but for me it’s a huge reason why the sport is a mess at tour level and the only people that are missing out are fans...
What are the fans missing out on exactly? More choice, with free to air coverage for the first time in years (that prioritises golf rather than commercials), more tournaments featuring dozens of top players, different formats, different courses, different countries, etc.

Or they can just stick to the same tour with the same format on the same resort courses, in the same country, with the same commercial broadcast, showing the same half-dozen players on featured groups every week as they had pre-LIV. All these people are missing is a few featured group favourites.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the fans missing out on exactly? More choice, with free to air coverage for the first time in years (that prioritises golf rather than commercials), more tournaments featuring dozens of top players, different formats, different courses, different countries, etc.

Or they can just stick to the same tour with the same format on the same resort courses, in the same country, with the same commercial broadcast, showing the same half-dozen players on featured groups every week as they had pre-LIV. All these people are missing is a few featured group favourites.

Ironically people moan the BBC don't get the big golf events thus meaning people who can't afford to have sky don't get young viewers into golf

Liv come in, shake it up a bit and put it free on YouTube (which works on TVs aswell)

People moan it's not on sky

Can't win

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not sure if “sour” is the right word Baz but for me it’s a huge reason why the sport is a mess at tour level and the only people that are missing out are fans , it’s an enabler for a horrific regime to try and buy top level sport.

LIV atmosphere will be a lot more relaxed for many of the top players , i suspect the pressure will be different , it will have a different feel to it which suits players like DJ , no practice etc but I don’t think it suits someone like Rahm who seems to thrive on pressure

I think the below sums it up. While there will always be traditionalists who like 6 hours in front of the TV, I think liv has just gone after an audience that wasn’t there. Golf had to move on.

From simple things such as playing in shorts, we all do it (some shouldn’t) yet a pro can’t play in shorts while a woman on the LPGA can play in a skirt/dress that short it barely covers her dignity.

The cost of a sports package to view pro events… nope view is free on a global digital platform. We all know that won’t last forever as TV rights are huge, but from the get go it was a strong advantage.

Do we miss big tour events with all the pros.. yes, but if louder, faster, funky golf brings in the new pipeline of players of the future then we simply have to move with it.

All I’d like to see is LIV players in all majors, but I think that’s a while off

Or they can just stick to the same tour with the same format on the same resort courses, in the same country, with the same commercial broadcast, showing the same half-dozen players on featured groups every week as they had pre-LIV

I think they really tapped into a different audience.

Shorts… everyone plays in shorts yet the pga wouldn’t allow it. Digital free viewing when

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

100%