LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Seen the social media pics from the event and a few things stuck out

The course looks mental around the houses and hotels , some really strange pictures , courses in the UK that are that close to houses have had issues with lawsuits about balls going into gardens and causing danger etc. - wonder what they do there

The crowds - there are a lot of pictures of the stands being empty but then crowds walking around with some of the big groups , they put their three best players together which attracted a moving crowd with them but the rest of the course looked empty - so are they pricing people out in regards the stand tickets or did they make an error putting the three top guys together - with a shotgun start it’s supposed to be about having all the players on the course and then you can take advantage of a single spot ?

And the graphics - saw a picture from Houlden , and the whole screen was dominated by graphics - on the left was the leaderboard , on the right a layout of the hole and then when putting they put the aimpoint line - is there an option that can be turned off ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have no idea where to post this so rather than risk infraction its in here... (btw, we really didn't need a 2nd Professional golf thread dedicated to golf on a single tour. DPWT doesn't have its own thread!)

Watched the 18min highlights this morning. (not a first time viewer)

Much like any Tour highlights vid its pretty much just the good shots with a different font/colour for the on screen leaderboard (i.e if you're used to F1 graphics NASCAR will scramble your noodle until you get used to it) If you already watch golf from multiple tours you'll be used to seeing different screen layouts, this is just 'louder'

Seemed a healthy crowd. Music was unnoticed or well muted & I didn't notice the mic in hole either. Different look to the leaderboard on day 1 this week, good to see Casey getting a good round in

PGAT HL vid wasn't uploaded before I had to switch off so I'll see that later but did see the ET 1st round plus some of the LET live feed replay from Africa

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no idea where to post this so rather than risk infraction its in here... (btw, we really didn't need a 2nd Professional golf thread dedicated to golf on a single tour. DPWT doesn't have its own thread!)

Watched the 18min highlights this morning. (not a first time viewer)

Much like any Tour highlights vid its pretty much just the good shots with a different font/colour for the on screen leaderboard (i.e if you're used to F1 graphics NASCAR will scramble your noodle until you get used to it) If you already watch golf from multiple tours you'll be used to seeing different screen layouts, this is just 'louder'

Seemed a healthy crowd. Music was unnoticed or well muted & I didn't notice the mic in hole either. Different look to the leaderboard on day 1 this week, good to see Casey getting a good round in

PGAT HL vid wasn't uploaded before I had to switch off so I'll see that later but did see the ET 1st round plus some of the LET live feed replay from Africa

Contrary to this, I put LIV on for about 30 mins last night when the WM was delayed. After watching a bit of Mayakoba and seeing a better balance between number of shots shown/chat etc I thought last night was back to last years production and it just jumping from shot to shot, so a bit of a negative from me there. The rain in Vegas must have been quite heavy as they also had preferred lies on didnt they?

I also thought the music was much more noticeable, I dont know if it is just mic placement or the engineers playing with the levels for the viewers, but if it is as loud in person as it was on the screen I would hate that. A bit of background music I would be fine with, but this was overpowering.

Anyway, I turned it off and watched the darts instead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can totally understand that from Meronk, that's exactly what I thought when I heard he'd joined actually. Nothing to lose when he absolutely should have been in RC team and was overlooked for some reason. Was he not the best player on the European Tour that year pretty much? Not surprised he said 'sod you then'.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can totally understand that from Meronk, that's exactly what I thought when I heard he'd joined actually. Nothing to lose when he absolutely should have been in RC team and was overlooked for some reason. Was he not the best player on the European Tour that year pretty much? Not surprised he said 'sod you then'.

Yannik Paul was above him in the European Points rankings and didn’t get a pick

The captain will go with the players he think will fit best within the team and various different formats

It’s hard to say that Donald got it wrong with the way the players played

At times players get overlooked - Monty did it with Casey in the past as well and he had a hissy fit

It just smacks of excuses to me , if he was that confident then go out and get yourself into the automatic spots - like Bob Mac did.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I may be remembering this wrong but was there not a couple of players that would qualify on both the World list and the European list for team Europe and because their qualification was attributed to the Europe list it knocked Meronk out & meant he would then need a pick
Had those dual qualified players qualification been attributed to their placing on the World list then Meronk would’ve automatically qualified on Europe List

Fine margins to miss out given how many players only get one shot at an RC

D

Deleted member 15344

I may be remembering this wrong but was there not a couple of players that would qualify on both the World list and the European list for team Europe and because their qualification was attributed to the Europe list it knocked Meronk out & meant he would then need a pick
Had those dual qualified players qualification been attributed to their placing on the World list then Meronk would’ve automatically qualified on Europe List

Fine margins to miss out given how many players only get one shot at an RC

Yes they go from the European List first and then the world list so it gives more importance to the points gained on ET events - so Rory and Rahm qualified form the European Points

If they went the other way then Hatton and Fitzpatrick would have needed picks and Paul and Merok would have got the qualifying spot

It was also changed from 4 wild cards to 6 , on the previous system then Paul and Fleetwood would have got in and Meronk still needing a pick

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yannik Paul was above him in the European Points rankings and didn’t get a pick

The captain will go with the players he think will fit best within the team and various different formats

It’s hard to say that Donald got it wrong with the way the players played

At times players get overlooked - Monty did it with Casey in the past as well and he had a hissy fit

It just smacks of excuses to me , if he was that confident then go out and get yourself into the automatic spots - like Bob Mac did.
Not saying he's right or wrong, just saying I understand it. For European players that have gone to LIV, jeopardising their RC chances must be a factor. But he will have thought "I just had the best season of my life and still didn't make it in, so maybe that ship has sailed". It was one less thing preventing him from moving, put it that way.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not saying he's right or wrong, just saying I understand it. For European players that have gone to LIV, jeopardising their RC chances must be a factor. But he will have thought "I just had the best season of my life and still didn't make it in, so maybe that ship has sailed". It was one less thing preventing him from moving, put it that way.

Plus, if the big boys have gone, why shouldn't he! If they find a way to include Rahm the same specifics should be applied to all people in the same position.

Not sure whether Rahm will try to qualify though or just bet on a captains pick.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As normally viewing the forum on my phone, I'd really like it ol' Phil could sometimes post a link to the actual articles, not X/twitter links which you have to wait to load, then click through again. Wonder if he's on commission ;)

Was the usual click bait style headline.

“What happened with the Ryder Cup just opened my eyes as to how everything works."
“What happened definitely made my choice easier. You know, what I went through just made it easier to care more about myself and not care what other people think of me, or what other people want me to do."

Certainly agree, he could have made automatic place and taken the chance away, but with winning at Marco Simone in the run up it did look on to reward an, at the time, genuine DPWT player.
Still as they say, the winners write the history - so it will always look like a vindicated decision by Luke and it would also have been difficult on any of the other picks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plus, if the big boys have gone, why shouldn't he! If they find a way to include Rahm the same specifics should be applied to all people in the same position.

Not sure whether Rahm will try to qualify though or just bet on a captains pick.
In Rahm's case he could do well enough in all four majors to get an automatic spot just from those, I would have thought.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Meronk has no cause for complaint about the RC. He didn’t qualify automatically, that was his fault.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seen the social media pics from the event and a few things stuck out

The course looks mental around the houses and hotels , some really strange pictures , courses in the UK that are that close to houses have had issues with lawsuits about balls going into gardens and causing danger etc. - wonder what they do there

The crowds - there are a lot of pictures of the stands being empty but then crowds walking around with some of the big groups , they put their three best players together which attracted a moving crowd with them but the rest of the course looked empty - so are they pricing people out in regards the stand tickets or did they make an error putting the three top guys together - with a shotgun start it’s supposed to be about having all the players on the course and then you can take advantage of a single spot ?

And the graphics - saw a picture from Houlden , and the whole screen was dominated by graphics - on the left was the leaderboard , on the right a layout of the hole and then when putting they put the aimpoint line - is there an option that can be turned off ?

Having a signature group and a course and stands appear empty is something I’ve experienced many times at european events down the years. That’s why I like going. It gives a better chance of getting uninterrupted views and a seat in many free stands when you need to take the weight off. Weekends, especially around the leading groups tend to be a bit busier but Thursdays and Fridays are brilliant for spectating.

As for the graphics, there’s far too much on the screen, similarly to the 8 ball cricket matches. It’s a bit of a turn off for me.

wjemather

Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

As normally viewing the forum on my phone, I'd really like it ol' Phil could sometimes post a link to the actual articles, not X/twitter links which you have to wait to load, then click through again. Wonder if he's on commission ;)

Was the usual click bait style headline.

“What happened with the Ryder Cup just opened my eyes as to how everything works."
“What happened definitely made my choice easier. You know, what I went through just made it easier to care more about myself and not care what other people think of me, or what other people want me to do."

Certainly agree, he could have made automatic place and taken the chance away, but with winning at Marco Simone in the run up it did look on to reward an, at the time, genuine DPWT player.
Still as they say, the winners write the history - so it will always look like a vindicated decision by Luke and it would also have been difficult on any of the other picks.
Apologies it’s the easiest way to get the article on here 😁

I suspect it was a very tough call between him and Hojgaard - and I think most expected Meronk to get it based on that win earlier in the year

But I guess we just look at the way someone plays in a singles event - as opposed to Donald prob looking more at partnerships etc

“‌“Ï don’t know, but I would probably not have come to LIV if I had played in the Ryder Cup,” Meronk said

That’s a telling statement for me - it’s almost like - you didn’t pick me so I’m going yet it took him until the week before to make that choice even more so when he was posting about looking forward to being on the PGAT etc - so imo he basically just got the right money offer and even if he played on the RC imo he would of jumped with the right offer - which of course is his right , sometimes it would be better for them to just come out with it

Of course he was disappointed about not being in RC but I don’t think imo it has anything to do with him going to LIV

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Until LIV I didn’t really know the likes of him and Shipnick but they seem very vocal about it all etc

But he suggests that they sit out for a big pay fines and only play in non elevated events etc

This sort of stuff will prob won’t help and imo is pointing more to give a division and the PGAT will be looking to work without the PIF

Visit site
Just to clarify for those confused about Meronk; he’s gone to LIV for the money, and his decision was not impacted by his Ryder Cup selection (and has no relevance to that).

Just like Jon Rahm does not care about growing the game and Phil Mickelson is not a virtuous bloke for taking on the PGA Tour.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Until LIV I didn’t really know the likes of him and Shipnick but they seem very vocal about it all etc

But he suggests that they sit out for a big pay fines and only play in non elevated events etc

This sort of stuff will prob won’t help and imo is pointing more to give a division and the PGAT will be looking to work without the PIF
Well it is an idea. And might appeal to some of the former PGAT regulars who weren't quite top echelon.

Brandel does seem to generally be about division though, as you observe. It's hard to tell, but wonder if in the US he is viewed a bit like Joey Barton is here. Actually maybe that is a step too far!